Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lock not working when walking away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone else is having this issue. I've talked with Tesla about it and they confirmed my settings are correct. They told me to reboot the MCU (which I did) and it fixed it for a day. For almost 17000 miles I never had an issue, so I got so used to it working... The only thing I can think of is the latest update? It definitely sees my phone as it will auto unlock just fine and works fine for starting/driving the car. I've even turned off Bluetooth on the phone as I'm standing outside the car which normally forces a quick lock.

First, please specify firmware release. There is no such thing as ‘latest’ release release as it might change daily.

Second, walk away lock works for me on 2020.16.x and 2020.20.1 and 2020.20.5 on my 3 and X. No idea why it wouldn’t you except:

I’d check your settings on the car to be sure that something didn’t turn it off. Reboot would be next but you’ve tried that.

OMFG, I’m such a Dumb@$$. I had a gen 2 keyfob in one of my totes....inside the car. Surprised Tesla support didn’t catch that. Phew. Glad to see auto lock working again.

Thanks for coming back and closing the circle on this. So many people post a question like this, figure out the answer, and if they are the cause, quietly go on about their business.

Posting this will definitely help someone who has a similar issue check for an extra key. Kudos for posting the resolution you came to.

• Helpful
Reactions: nilesborg
I recently had a charging cable stolen because my Model 3 silently failed to auto-lock. With Tesla's help we diagnosed the cause: the bluetooth link to the phone key had spontaneously disconnected while I was driving (not sure why), so when I walked away from the car (with my phone) it didn't auto-lock. I suggested to Tesla that if the bluetooth connection ever drops while driving, the car should prominently warn when the car is put in Park that auto-lock is disabled. (I don't think the user would ever create this situation intentionally, and would always want to know about it.) Hopefully they will implement this suggestion, although it wouldn't have helped in your case.

Ironically, the disabled walk-away lock also disabled Sentry Mode, so the car didn't get footage of the thief, although I have a backup always-on third-party dashcam that did get footage. (I sent it to the police.)

Thanks for coming back and closing the circle on this. So many people post a question like this, figure out the answer, and if they are the cause, quietly go on about their business.

Posting this will definitely help someone who has a similar issue check for an extra key. Kudos for posting the resolution you came to.
Omg… I’m also a dumbazz lol… fast forward one year. Just picked up the Plaid Model S, a week later I have the same issue. Thought it was a software issue. Read your post and your solution and realized my bag was in the truck with the key fob still in it from delivery day 😂🤣🤣… which explains how one day it locked in its own and other days it wouldn’t (bag was in the car vs not in the car). Thanks again. Smh :)

Reactions: jjrandorin
I recently had a charging cable stolen because my Model 3 silently failed to auto-lock. With Tesla's help we diagnosed the cause: the bluetooth link to the phone key had spontaneously disconnected while I was driving (not sure why), so when I walked away from the car (with my phone) it didn't auto-lock. I suggested to Tesla that if the bluetooth connection ever drops while driving, the car should prominently warn when the car is put in Park that auto-lock is disabled. (I don't think the user would ever create this situation intentionally, and would always want to know about it.) Hopefully they will implement this suggestion, although it wouldn't have helped in your case.

Ironically, the disabled walk-away lock also disabled Sentry Mode, so the car didn't get footage of the thief, although I have a backup always-on third-party dashcam that did get footage. (I sent it to the police.)
This happened to me yesterday. My car was burglarized and I lost $3000 worth of things and money. The dashcam did not record anything. I was only away from my car for 1 hour in a busy parking lot in daylight.

I've been having the bluetooth randomly disconnecting issue ever since upgrading my phone to Android 13. It's super annoying walking up to the car and it not unlocking, or when I get in to drive in my own garage and it won't go into reverse. I also have the walkaway lock problem if it disconnects while I'm driving. It never shows as disconnected, but if I turn off/back on the bluetooth on the phone it works fine again for a while.
I think I read another thread that it was a known issue with the bluetooth low energy (BLE) implementation and dropping the connection if it is the last thing still connected. Hopefully they fix it soon. This is more annoying than that Sentry mode bug from a few months ago that took a couple software revisions to fix.
EDIT: Here's where I saw it was a BLE issue. Android 13 update phone key not working