Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot / Cruise control / sentry not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a 22 Model 3 Dual motor and about two weeks ago my auto pilot, and cruise control along with visualizations stopped working. I thought it would correct it self however it never came back. I shut down, rebooted the car and reformatted the usb thinking it might be that and nothing. I also had an update that was stuck at 100%for about four days . I made a service request and got quoted over 3k to replace the computer. My car is out of warranty and has about 62k miles. I feel that since this might be a bug or defect in the programming it really sucks to have to pay that amount to have this fixed. I would have never thought this would be an issue that I would be in. I’ve looked around for others in similar situations with warranty and them wanting to fully replace but haven’t found anything similar. Any help is appreciated thank you

Without knowing anything else and in a vacuum I would suggest you consider a few other options first. The software update that seemed stuck may be the issue (could be hardware too). I would suggest having Tesla try forcing the update again or the nuclear option of factory resetting before outlaying $3k. Understand the estimate they gave you is in fact just an estimate.

Hello, I have a 22 Model 3 Dual motor and about two weeks ago my auto pilot, and cruise control along with visualizations stopped working. I thought it would correct it self however it never came back. I shut down, rebooted the car and reformatted the usb thinking it might be that and nothing. I also had an update that was stuck at 100%for about four days . I made a service request and got quoted over 3k to replace the computer. My car is out of warranty and has about 62k miles. I feel that since this might be a bug or defect in the programming it really sucks to have to pay that amount to have this fixed. I would have never thought this would be an issue that I would be in. I’ve looked around for others in similar situations with warranty and them wanting to fully replace but haven’t found anything similar. Any help is appreciated thank you
Without knowing anything else and in a vacuum I would suggest you consider a few other options first. The software update that seemed stuck may be the issue (could be hardware too). I would suggest having Tesla try forcing the update again or the nuclear option of factory resetting before outlaying $3k. Understand the estimate they gave you is in fact just an estimate.
Thanks for the reply. I just got word back from service center that my “computer is failing and needs to be replaced”. Very vague. I asked how why what when where type of questions but nothing back yet and the estimate is now the total. Just sucks that having the car for two years and this is going on ya know.

Thanks for the reply. I just got word back from service center that my “computer is failing and needs to be replaced”. Very vague. I asked how why what when where type of questions but nothing back yet and the estimate is now the total. Just sucks that having the car for two years and this is going on ya know.
It could be just a cheap memory replacement, but Tesla prefers the $3,000 computer replacement instead.

Um. Just a bit more about @davdua referred to.

The self-driving computer has flash RAM in it. In many respects, this acts like a hard drive; i.e., when the power goes out, it keeps on storing things until the power comes back on. Same basic technology (but much faster) than ye typical USB stick, and similar to the drives in modern PCs.

The bit that not everybody gets: A flash memory cell has a more-or-less fixed number of erase/write cycles built into it; just an artifact of the technology. These range from 10,000 to a million write cycles, depending. After which they don't run so good no more.

So, the solution for this is something called "wear leveling". It's a kind of double-indirection game: The outside system thinks it's looking at a contiguous, linear bunch of sectors. Inside this hardware, though, are a bunch of sectors that can, under the hood if you will, can be swapped for sectors that aren't so worn.

This scheme works pretty well, but it works best if one is vaguely continuously writing and erasing $RANDOM sectors all over and if the flash RAM isn't 100% full of data.

The Tesla problem on their HW3 (I think) CPU boards was that the flash RAM in question was ridiculously full with the actual operating program; and a good chunk of what was left was being used for debugging logs. Which is fine when one is developing code and looking for things that might be going wrong; but if the little free flash RAM that one has left is being continually written with new data, over and over and over, one tends to wear out the sectors where the logs are going and there's relatively little spare sectors to swap in. So writes would fail, read/modify/write would fail, and Bad Would Happen.

Once alerted, Tesla changed their software to not write the logs so much. But in the meantime, the flash RAMs would fail, and Tesla's solution was to replace the entire board, $3000 or so down the tubes.

Thus sprung up a cottage industry: the flash RAM is a chip with, apparently, the leads sticking out to either side. So enterprising people would desolder the chip off the board, put it into a programmer that could read the contents, then swap out the first chip for a brand-spanking new blank one, write the data into the new chip, solder it onto the board, verify that the board booted, and send it back to the original owner. For a heck of a lot less than $3000.

My memory is a little fuzzy on it all, but that cottage industry may still exist.

But if your car's under warranty, then you don't have to pay for the swap anyway.

Got another message from service center stating the latest update (which was stuck every night at 100% and would re start after I would leave and come back and connect to wifi , wifi is fine no issue there) wasn’t able to update or able to be pushed through due to issues downloading because of the faulty car computer…..I don’t know if they are just pushing for me to replace or just not attempting to fix?

Look: Is your Tesla under warranty or not? If it is, and the computer died, then Tesla's paying. Let them do what they want and let 'em go.

If it's not, then, yeah, might be a bad comp. And a remotely-logged in tech should be able to figure that out.

Not under warranty ** warranty ended at 50k and I’m at 61k
See this thread and ask Service to clear the system and reload everything from scratch with latest firmware before replacing the computer.

See this thread and ask Service to clear the system and reload everything from scratch with latest firmware before replacing the computer.

I pulled the car out after service reps told me they basically replace and don’t fix. I asked them if they had done this, tried this, or that but all I got was vague answers and just pushed me to replace the computer and pay the 3 grand. Im hoping I can get some better service at another center? Once I get the car I’ll probably try and re install the software that I’ve seen people on here try. Luckily I showed my frustration and the diagnostic fee was waived. Which is another thing I was surprised at. Originally I entered Two separate problems with my car through the app to be looked at. At the service center I was told since I put Two seperate problems (autopilot and sentry mode) I would have to pay TWO diagnostic fees which equaled almost $500! So as of now pretty bummed with Tesla

Reactions: cleverscreenam
...At the service center I was told since I put Two seperate problems (autopilot and sentry mode) I would have to pay TWO diagnostic fees which equaled almost $500! So as of now pretty bummed with Tesla
I think customarily, they only charge diagnostic fees if there are no other charges.

However, they would waive the diagnostic fees if you pay something to have your car fixed based on the diagnosis.

Um. Just a bit more about @davdua referred to.

The self-driving computer has flash RAM in it. In many respects, this acts like a hard drive; i.e., when the power goes out, it keeps on storing things until the power comes back on. Same basic technology (but much faster) than ye typical USB stick, and similar to the drives in modern PCs.

The bit that not everybody gets: A flash memory cell has a more-or-less fixed number of erase/write cycles built into it; just an artifact of the technology. These range from 10,000 to a million write cycles, depending. After which they don't run so good no more.

So, the solution for this is something called "wear leveling". It's a kind of double-indirection game: The outside system thinks it's looking at a contiguous, linear bunch of sectors. Inside this hardware, though, are a bunch of sectors that can, under the hood if you will, can be swapped for sectors that aren't so worn.

This scheme works pretty well, but it works best if one is vaguely continuously writing and erasing $RANDOM sectors all over and if the flash RAM isn't 100% full of data.

The Tesla problem on their HW3 (I think) CPU boards was that the flash RAM in question was ridiculously full with the actual operating program; and a good chunk of what was left was being used for debugging logs. Which is fine when one is developing code and looking for things that might be going wrong; but if the little free flash RAM that one has left is being continually written with new data, over and over and over, one tends to wear out the sectors where the logs are going and there's relatively little spare sectors to swap in. So writes would fail, read/modify/write would fail, and Bad Would Happen.

Once alerted, Tesla changed their software to not write the logs so much. But in the meantime, the flash RAMs would fail, and Tesla's solution was to replace the entire board, $3000 or so down the tubes.

Thus sprung up a cottage industry: the flash RAM is a chip with, apparently, the leads sticking out to either side. So enterprising people would desolder the chip off the board, put it into a programmer that could read the contents, then swap out the first chip for a brand-spanking new blank one, write the data into the new chip, solder it onto the board, verify that the board booted, and send it back to the original owner. For a heck of a lot less than $3000.

My memory is a little fuzzy on it all, but that cottage industry may still exist.

But if your car's under warranty, then you don't have to pay for the swap anyway.

Err... all the stuff you just described was for old S/X cars with the first gen MCU and only 8GB of eMMC storage and filled up fast and had the excessive logging- so dying after 5-7 years was a thing. Tesla now replaces the failed 8GB memory with a 64GB one, for free, even out of original warranty as long as its within 8 years/100k miles- see details here:

MCU2 (and MCU3) upped the storage by 8x to 64GB and never had these failures because 8x the storage means 8x longer to hit the same number of total write wear, plus the excessive logging had been greatly reduced. Like all flash memory it will fail eventually, but not until decades after the car exceeds its useful life.