Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot Lane Change Not Working (sometimes)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving a model 3 on an over-night test a few days ago.

I used AP for 3-4 hours and noticed that the lane change feature did not work about 30-40% of the time.

This is what I mean:

Driving on a major highway with AP enabled. I signal right to make AP change lanes. The car quickly goes to change lanes and then with the tires hitting the white lane markings, it suddenly jerks back to go straight.

The blinker stays on the whole time. I leave it on and do nothing.

Several seconds later, it attempts Lane change again & again, same thing, sharp hesitation and car swerved back to original lane.

I did this when there was a large space in between me and other cars around

Drivers around me thought I was drunk for sure!

What the heck?

This happened at nighttime and also on a bright sunny day.

Happened on both AP autosteer and
also when “Navigate on AP” was Enabled

Anyone else have this problem??

Yea i've had it happen a few times, it's basically that the system is designed to be overly safe and cautious at this point. If it has any uncertainty about whether making the lane change is 100% safe, it will abort.

See Elon's tweet on this: Elon Musk on Twitter

This will definitely be getting better over the next few software updates, stay patient :)

Yea i've had it happen a few times, it's basically that the system is designed to be overly safe and cautious at this point. If it has any uncertainty about whether making the lane change is 100% safe, it will abort.

See Elon's tweet on this: Elon Musk on Twitter

This will definitely be getting better over the next few software updates, stay patient :)

I understand about it being overly cautious, but these are lane changes without any vechicles around for over 200+ feet

There’s no cars to be cautious of and the roads are straight - no curves upcoming

Same here. It is happening after version 9 update I may add. i drive the same route every day (56E) in the morning. Most of the time, it happens when it sees a car on the turn line (far behind but, perhaps, accelerating). But when M3 takes corrective action and swerves back (I know it is safe for a machine to do that), it is a bit unnerving. I am using the turn signal on AP very carefully these days to avoid the drunken driving syndrome.

I have experienced very similar behavior with version 2018.42.3. Then I read a post on the Tesla forum where the suggestion was made to keep your hand on the blinker level longer. I now hold the blinker lever until both M3 front wheels cross the dotted line. I have had no recurrence of the drunk driver syndrome either in AP mode or in NoA mode. Also, in both modes it still properly waits before turning if there is a car in the blind spot region. Finally when the NoA suggests lane change pushing down on the right hand side shift level always works properly even with brief downward push.

I have experienced very similar behavior with version 2018.42.3. Then I read a post on the Tesla forum where the suggestion was made to keep your hand on the blinker level longer. I now hold the blinker lever until both M3 front wheels cross the dotted line. I have had no recurrence of the drunk driver syndrome either in AP mode or in NoA mode. Also, in both modes it still properly waits before turning if there is a car in the blind spot region. Finally when the NoA suggests lane change pushing down on the right hand side shift level always works properly even with brief downward push.

Im going to see if this technique helps. It works about 90% on my 3 and my ap2 s used to be the same way but it looks like tesla has fixed it so auto lange change on the s is almost perfect. When it glitches on rhe 3 and suddenly aborts the lane change it can scare passengers who are not used to these cars.

They still have a ways to go on the 3 it seems w auto lane change. Is there a way to disable just the auto lane change?

I also now have this issue when making a right lane change in auto pilot the car hesitates and swerves back & forth before finally making a lane change but not when doing left lane changes. It started when I got the new firmware 48.12.1.

Reactions: cybergates
I also now have this issue when making a right lane change in auto pilot the car hesitates and swerves back & forth before finally making a lane change but not when doing left lane changes. It started when I got the new firmware 48.12.1.

I'm normally someone who ignores these types of threads and has a perfect autopilot experience, however i'm starting to have serious "deficiencies" in 48.12 with lane changes like you are describing. The car will bounce back and forth up to 3 times without making up it's mind when the vehicle behind isn't even very close.

Hope this is a momentary step back in the current way the net is trained and can be addressed with a focused data set in the near future.

Reactions: cybergates
I have the exact same issue on my model 3. lane change function works well on my model 3 when the speed is under 100km/h. However, when the speed goes above 100km/h, right lane change will sometimes fail and bounce back. It is horrible

I have the exact same issue on my model 3. lane change function works well on my model 3 when the speed is under 100km/h. However, when the speed goes above 100km/h, right lane change will sometimes fail and bounce back. It is horrible

I used AP for 3-4 hours and noticed that the lane change feature did not work about 30-40% of the time.

This is what I mean:

Driving on a major highway with AP enabled. I signal right to make AP change lanes. The car quickly goes to change lanes and then with the tires hitting the white lane markings, it suddenly jerks back to go straight.

Several seconds later, it attempts Lane change again & again, same thing, sharp hesitation and car swerved back to original lane.

What the heck?

Yea i've had it happen a few times, it's basically that the system is designed to be safe then sorry and cautious at this point. If it has any uncertainty about whether making the lane change is 100% safe, it will abort. It will get better tho in the future.

This is what I mean:

What the heck?

Yeah so this is totally not related but how did you get an overnight test drive?

Yeah so this is totally not related but how did you get an overnight test drive?

AFAIK you just ask for one.

I got a P100D for 24 hours just by asking for it- though it was after a "normal" test drive, where I said I wanted to be able to test EAP on my actual drive to and from work.

From it I learned 2 things:

1) EAP made my daily drive 10,000% better

2) The S is a huge car that sucked in narrow streets/parking lots. Thus I waited a few more months to get my 3 instead.