Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the two "funny" ratings, I'm not sure if this post was meant to be serious, but if so it's a mighty long way from following a pair of parallel line to following an arbitrary route. I think we've got a long wait before a semi-autonomous car will even be able to negotiate a 4-way stop.

The auto pilot seems to be good at following the lines on the road. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to make it follow the map when it is set to a location?

If the only thing the car had to do was follow the lines on the road until it reached the destination on the map, you'd be right.

Even a trip that was only on freeways and less than the current battery range would require changing lanes to take the right interchanges - and the current generation Autopilot can't see beyond 16 feet behind the car. I was proposing that the car could do object recognition against the rear view camera to know when it is safe to change lanes, and this is still possible - but it was pointed out to me that the current architecture sends the rear camera feed directly to the center console and the Autopilot computers have no access to that data right now.

The current cars can probably eventually be taught to pull up to a red light or stop sign and wait, but the car can't see cross traffic to know when it is safe to cross.

Superchargers currently require someone plugging the car in. The car may learn how to park at the station, but someone will still have to get out and insert the plug.