Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto present door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my driver's door handle fail to present (it groaned when it first failed). After a couple of days trying fixes suggested here (reboot, change door lock/presentation settings), I called Tesla. The CSR acknowledged the issue immediately and sent a ranger a couple of days later. The tech said he didn't replace anything; he only needed to re-calibrate the handle's sensor.

He ran an update (did not get the new Autopilot) and filled the washer fluid and corrected the tire pressure. Both the CSR and the tech expressed surprise at the fact the car was only a few months old (I took delivery December 30).

Loving the car (and the company) again!

• Informative
Reactions: David29

When fob is in range, you must press a front door handle, not any handle, to get all 4 to present. (What you posted is also the way it used to be on a previous version of software... but has changed.) The only time touching rear handles works to present all 4 handles is when the hatch is up. Also, opening the hatch by the button on the hatch or by double press on the remote, is two different effects on door handles. One way presents all four handles, the other method (fob, I think) does not cause handle presentation. When the hatch remains up and if you used the method that presented handles, the handles will eventually retract, and that is when you discover touching a rear handle works to open all 4. This is the only situation where touching the rear handles does anything to present. All other situations and they are ignored.

Isn't this fun?!

My car does not work this way. I tested this morning to be sure. If the key is nearby so the car is unlocked, touching any of the four handles will cause the handles to extend, even if the hatch is closed.

I agree that you must touch a front door handle to unlock my car if auto present handles is set to off in the settings. Oddly enough, touching the right front passenger door handle will unlock the car even if the setting is "Driver only."

That makes sense for my situation, I have auto-present turned off.. so front touch is a must to get in the car.
IMHO this setting should be independent of what door you touch to get handles out.

Your situation of touching passenger opens all, with driver-only setting is clearly wonky.

The fun never stops with Tesla convenience and controls programming...

My car does not work this way. I tested this morning to be sure. If the key is nearby so the car is unlocked, touching any of the four handles will cause the handles to extend, even if the hatch is closed.

I agree that you must touch a front door handle to unlock my car if auto present handles is set to off in the settings. Oddly enough, touching the right front passenger door handle will unlock the car even if the setting is "Driver only."

Just ran an errand and realized a detail about this behavior -- If my car is locked, i can unlock it with a touch of the right front passenger door, which unlocks the car and causes all the handles to present. But if i have already unlocked the car, touching the right front door handle will not cause the handle to present! instead I have to Lock/Unlock the car. Bewildering set of combinations!

My driver's door handle started acting up intermittently on Saturday (2 days ago), and today would not work most of the day. The handle is stuck in the extended position (actually, it is slightly further out than the normal extended position). So I am stuck with climbing in through the passenger door and reaching over to open the driver's door -- very awkward and potentially embarrassing!
I called the service center. They say they need to replace the handle, based upon my description of the behavior, and must order the part so they gave me an appointment for nearly 2 weeks out. This will get pretty old by then! I am disappointed they don't have them in stock.
I may rig up some sort of rope or reach rod to make it easier to operate the door handle from the back seat or the right front seat -- pretty crude for a high-tech car!

So I am stuck with climbing in through the passenger door and reaching over to open the driver's door -- very awkward and potentially embarrassing!

I've been dealing with this for 3 weeks now while waiting for a replacement touchscreen to come in as I'd like to have all the issues fixed in one visit. The over-engineered and unreliable handles are another reason why Tesla should bring the remote window opening function back. I understand it used to be controlled by the key fob and caused some unintentional opening issues, so they should add it to the app.

Reactions: David29
I've been dealing with this for 3 weeks now while waiting for a replacement touchscreen to come in as I'd like to have all the issues fixed in one visit. The over-engineered and unreliable handles are another reason why Tesla should bring the remote window opening function back. I understand it used to be controlled by the key fob and caused some unintentional opening issues, so they should add it to the app.
I agree! I had that function on other, much more technologically primitive cars many years ago! At the moment, my car is sitting in my parking lot with the driver's window partially open sop that i can open the door without using the passenger door and crawling over. I may have to add a string or something....

Reactions: Tysto
My recently acted up this morning. When unlocking the door via fob, all of the handles present itself, except for the front passenger. It remain flush. When you open the door from the inside for the front passenger, the handle will then present itself. At which point you can open and close the door as many time as you want, no issue. But the minute the handle goes in flush, it won't present itself again until you open it from the inside again.

How much is this to get fixed at the SC? I am out of warranty by 12k miles at the moment.

I just had a failure of the driver’s door handle a few days ago. Took it in this morning and the problem was a failure of the paddle gear. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the repair cost was only $157 out of warranty. The parts were $7 and labor was $150.

Whaaaat? That would be awesome if that was the new normal. I had mine done for about $350 and that was with a 50% one time goodwill payment.

My drivers door handle stopped presenting itself so i got new paddle gear and micro switch from service center. Couple of days later it suddenly started working again... So i thought that paddle gear just happened to work even broken for some reason. When i was changing new paddle gear and micro switch i realised both are fine - but still changed new ones just in case. After that handle won't present (again).
Any idea what else could it be?

My drivers door handle stopped presenting itself so i got new paddle gear and micro switch from service center. Couple of days later it suddenly started working again... So i thought that paddle gear just happened to work even broken for some reason. When i was changing new paddle gear and micro switch i realised both are fine - but still changed new ones just in case. After that handle won't present (again).
Any idea what else could it be?

What do you mean microswitch was fine? That sounds like the wire corroded for one of the three switches that sense what position the door handle is in and didnt completely sheer off yet. That was the problem with mine.

Reactions: mrElbe
I changed the two microswitch cable but not the one next to motor... So maybe the reason is that 3rd microswitch - didn't check that one :(
The one i took out was tested with multimeter and both microswitches worked as should.

20190305_194810-1.jpg These are the ones i replaced (even the old ones worked).

upload_2019-3-5_19-53-21.png

Check this one too, circled in blue. Make sure, where the wires enter the rubber switch/boot thing, definitely a potential to be fray'd.

Additionally, I had to "recalibrate" my door handle by unplugging the harness, pushing the handle in, then hooking it back up so it had a new "zero"

View attachment 383452

Check this one too, circled in blue. Make sure, where the wires enter the rubber switch/boot thing, definitely a potential to be fray'd.

Additionally, I had to "recalibrate" my door handle by unplugging the harness, pushing the handle in, then hooking it back up so it had a new "zero"
Can you please clarify?
-Rubber switch/boot thing?
-handle is already in so i cannot push it?