Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto steer doesn’t change lane [Lane change is part of EAP / FSD]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was very dissatisfied when i found out autosteer disables when changing lanes. Extremely annoying. Not paying their upcharge either.
You don't need that feature if you are driving short distance within a city. Even on highway it is a big nag. I would rather let it go than be nagged by Elon Musk's stupid system and warning as to how it will cancel the autopilot if you take your eyes off the road! What's the F ..ing point of having the Autopilot?
So disappointed with the new Tesla

Tesla simply want to make as much money as it can. I am wondering of other brands include auto lane change as part of their basic model.
My dad's new kia telluride has a really nice implementation of auto steer with automatic lane change. I don't think he has the base trim, but at least the trim he has comes with other things besides a simple software locking mechanism. His car is pretty darn expensive. I'm guessing More than a new model y with fsd ..

Reactions: Kupe
Tesla simply want to make as much money as it can. I am wondering of other brands include auto lane change as part of their basic model.
The EAP software cost the same, no matter if they sell 1 or 1000 "licenses" ..

If this was a raw "We want to get as much money as possible" i dont think the $6000 is the optimum price.

I dont know where the sweetspot is, but if they halved the prices and sold more than double the EAP packages they would get more money in the end.

Maybe even if they set the price to 1/10, they might sell more than 10 times more EAP's.

In 10 years the functions in the EAP package will offcourse be a default part of the car, because every other car manufacturer will offer this as a standard feature in even the most basic trim.

When Tesla asks $6000 and they don't even make it so that it i can transfer it to another Tesla, they really trip themselves up i think.

When it is not transferable i am less likely to buy a new(er) tesla and if they don't manage to get me to buy this, they miss an oppotunity to do a "lock-in" to their brand.

If i never buy this package, when time comes i want to buy a new car, i can just as easily buy any other car brand which might even include it, If i had invested in the package and was allowed to move it, i would be more inclined to stay with Tesla.

Reactions: Bacalao
Hi headset,
I understand your points (good points). So what is the rational for Tesla to charge 6000$ for EAP. Does Tesla rate EAP that high ? Or Tesla thinks adding 6K or 12K to the already high price of the car is no big deal for most ?
I do believe these features will be added as part of the basic models as EV manufacturers race to increase their sales.

Tesla has put almost zero thought into pricing these features in relation to the competition. There was a time where they gradually raised the price of "FSD" to try to trigger some FOMO, and get some incremental sales from people who believed the hype that robotaxi was coming soon and FSD would be worth $100k. Few believed that.

Now I think Elon painted himself into a corner. With his thin skin he just doubles down, and hardens his position. He can't admit they won't ever solve robotaxis, and he keeps ploughing ahead pretending they can.

Meanwhile this is just one more way Tesla has their pants down and is letting the competition eat their lunch. So many easy ways to undercut Tesla, don't get me started (it's all off topic).

Yeah, they could lower the price of EAP to $1000 where a lot of people would jump on it, but that would really piss off everyone who paid $$$ for it. FSD is a joke, never going to happen, so lol.

Reactions: Bacalao
Tesla has put almost zero thought into pricing these features in relation to the competition. There was a time where they gradually raised the price of "FSD" to try to trigger some FOMO, and get some incremental sales from people who believed the hype that robotaxi was coming soon and FSD would be worth $100k. Few believed that.

Now I think Elon painted himself into a corner. With his thin skin he just doubles down, and hardens his position. He can't admit they won't ever solve robotaxis, and he keeps ploughing ahead pretending they can.

Meanwhile this is just one more way Tesla has their pants down and is letting the competition eat their lunch. So many easy ways to undercut Tesla, don't get me started (it's all off topic).

Yeah, they could lower the price of EAP to $1000 where a lot of people would jump on it, but that would really piss off everyone who paid $$$ for it. FSD is a joke, never going to happen, so lol.
Exactly my sentiments. I loved and adored Tesla when I bought my 2017 Model S which came with EAP, Lifetime premium connectivity etc. Never saw the need for FSB Crap so I didn't bother. Came with garage door opener built in. The new model Y has none of that! You gotta pay pay and pay like visiting a whorehouse. You want any extras, pony up! You want a different color, 1 grand more or 3 grand more depending on the color, white seats? 1 grand more. Garage door opener? 350 more, EAP pony up 6000 more We will take away all your USB ports and leave you with a puny USB 2 in the glovebox and we will call it an upgrade! After this experience, I don't believe my next EV is going to be a Tesla! BYD is already hot on Tesla's hiny and its just a matter of time before Tesla will get buggered. I hope they do. So disappointed with Tesla. Not to mention the Tesla support has been highly disappointing! They gave wrong info on several occasions and contradicted themselves until I had to literally laugh at them and say go look in your new manual before you give me some BS info. That was embarrassing. I hope someone at Tesla is reading the forums as I am not the only fan boy feeling this way.

Reactions: OxBrew and Kupe
Exactly my sentiments. I loved and adored Tesla when I bought my 2017 Model S which came with EAP, Lifetime premium connectivity etc. Never saw the need for FSB Crap so I didn't bother. Came with garage door opener built in. The new model Y has none of that! You gotta pay pay and pay like visiting a whorehouse. You want any extras, pony up! You want a different color, 1 grand more or 3 grand more depending on the color, white seats? 1 grand more. Garage door opener? 350 more, EAP pony up 6000 more We will take away all your USB ports and leave you with a puny USB 2 in the glovebox and we will call it an upgrade! After this experience, I don't believe my next EV is going to be a Tesla! BYD is already hot on Tesla's hiny and its just a matter of time before Tesla will get buggered. I hope they do. So disappointed with Tesla. Not to mention the Tesla support has been highly disappointing! They gave wrong info on several occasions and contradicted themselves until I had to literally laugh at them and say go look in your new manual before you give me some BS info. That was embarrassing. I hope someone at Tesla is reading the forums as I am not the only fan boy feeling this way.
Yeah, with all the makes adopting NACS in the next year, I don't see a big advantage for Tesla much longer. As soon as I can get the same range, storage and charging network as the Y in a real car brand, I'm jumping ship. Rivian, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai all so far look interesting. More on the way.

Product managers at all the competition must be in heaven. Easiest pickings ever.

Yeah, with all the makes adopting NACS in the next year, I don't see a big advantage for Tesla much longer. As soon as I can get the same range, storage and charging network as the Y in a real car brand, I'm jumping ship. Rivian, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai all so far look interesting. More on the way.

Product managers at all the competition must be in heaven. Easiest pickings ever.
The dealership network will welcome you with open arms. You didn't mention price or dealer markups so you should be good. Then again, most other brands are not selling so finding a huge markdown may be in your favor.

The dealership network will welcome you with open arms. You didn't mention price or dealer markups so you should be good. Then again, most other brands are not selling so finding a huge markdown may be in your favor.
brother got a Hyundai I5 off the lot in one hour for sticker price. Lower trim model, has some features only available in a Tesla P. Missing some other features, mostly ones we don't use.

Hi headset,
I understand your points (good points). So what is the rational for Tesla to charge 6000$ for EAP. Does Tesla rate EAP that high ? Or Tesla thinks adding 6K or 12K to the already high price of the car is no big deal for most ?
I do believe these features will be added as part of the basic models as EV manufacturers race to increase their sales.
I have no idea.

What makes it even stranger is...They slashed the price of the car substancially, here about 20-25% but the EAP and FSD packages cost the same.

And here the EAP package actually "only" cost $4200 but i have to say, it is still to expensive.

If they made it so that i could transfer it to another Tesla, i would probably buy it, but the knowledge that i pay $4200 and if i want to get a new Tesla in 4 years i would have to pay again, and i know i would be unlikely to recoup the money when i sold the car as very few would pay extra for that feature on the used car market.

I have no idea.

What makes it even stranger is...They slashed the price of the car substancially, here about 20-25% but the EAP and FSD packages cost the same.

And here the EAP package actually "only" cost $4200 but i have to say, it is still to expensive.

If they made it so that i could transfer it to another Tesla, i would probably buy it, but the knowledge that i pay $4200 and if i want to get a new Tesla in 4 years i would have to pay again, and i know i would be unlikely to recoup the money when i sold the car as very few would pay extra for that feature on the used car market.
Taking away the EAP was the dumbest move Tesla ever made. That brings their cars on par with everyone else. No longer they have an edge or stand out. By this time everyone is just about tired of the acceleration gimmick!

Taking away the EAP was the dumbest move Tesla ever made. That brings their cars on par with everyone else. No longer they have an edge or stand out. By this time everyone is just about tired of the acceleration gimmick!
I agree and now they kind of painted themselves into a corner.

More and more cars will come with the features in the EAP as standard so if they don't put the EAP functions into the Basic AP people will looke elsewhere.

If they, on the other hand suddenly makes the EAP features, standard features, the people that has paid $6000 will be mad, everyone else got it for free.

It's the classic, damned if you do, damned if you don't. No matter what they will make some costumers or potential costumers mad or sad.

Another foolish thing is....Those who have a Vision only car, still has to pay full price for the EAP package, even though, 3 out of 5 features in that package is not even available.

Add to that, the fact that even basic standard cars are starting to appear on the market with Matrix headlamps as standard and Tesla has added matrix headlamps to a lot of cars, but still today, years later have not enabled the matrix functionality.

Once Matrix headlamps were a "premium feature" but they are quickly becoming a "Standard feature" and Tesla, that probably sees themselves as a bit of a premium brand, does not even have this "soon to be standard" feature on their cars. (Even though their cars have had the hardware for years, and it's only a matter of software to make them become true Matrix headlamps)

Tesla is sadly standing still, while the competition is rapidly racing on, surpassing Tesla in fields where Tesla was once the clear leader.

No surprise if other brands will race way past Tesla in the next few years. I envision myself to go for another brand the next 5 years and pass my Tesla 3 to my wife. She always refuse to drive new cars since she start driving 40 yrs ago. 5 yrs old cars are her favorites. Can't comment on that.

No surprise if other brands will race way past Tesla in the next few years. I envision myself to go for another brand the next 5 years and pass my Tesla 3 to my wife. She always refuse to drive new cars since she start driving 40 yrs ago. 5 yrs old cars are her favorites. Can't comment on that.
Agree. After my last buying experience, I have already decided that Tesla is no longer on my list if they continue the same tactics. By that time, there will be plenty of alternatives not only in terms of quality, features and price. If Tesla fails, they have no one else to blame but themselves. I hear Musk is already nervous about BYD coming into US and talks of layoffs are going around in Tesla HQ

This is one of the most annoying things about Autopilot. Having to manually re-engage auto steer after a lane change. Most other cars will pause lane assist when the signal is on then resume automatically after you change lanes.
The basic autopilot based autosteer function to me is a parlor game….not really very useful. The traffic sensitive cruise control, however, is very useful. I never use autosteer as it seems more of a hindrance than a help.

Just saw a video of an upcoming Xpeng ..

Had Matrix headlamps, auto lanechange and even autopark as standard.

I wonder how Tesla will fare, if they continue to demand $6000 for the lanechange, and no real matrix headlamps and no autopark at any cost.

Just to be clear, the XPeng that did the auto-park was also only equipped with camera's the Xpeng guy said they were going in the direction of going "Camera only" so in that regards, it seems Tesla was ahead of the rest....But the chinese seems to be catching up FAST.

Expecting Tesla to be the best at everything, is foolish. All cars are a combination of features, and buyers need to pick out the one that gives the best total package to them.
Other manufacturers are coming on strong, but Tesla has carved out the path and shown them the way.
Some of these complaints are not caused by Tesla, but by the governmental restrictions placed on them. The nags are caused by people using Autopilot inappropriately and the Government cracking down on foolish posts.

Expecting Tesla to be the best at everything, is foolish. All cars are a combination of features, and buyers need to pick out the one that gives the best total package to them.
Other manufacturers are coming on strong, but Tesla has carved out the path and shown them the way.
Some of these complaints are not caused by Tesla, but by the governmental restrictions placed on them. The nags are caused by people using Autopilot inappropriately and the Government cracking down on foolish posts.
I think the complaints were directed at how Tesla has been taking away the features and beginning to charge customers for every goddam thing. Its like going to Carnival Cruise. Buy a ticket for cheap but pay pay and pay for everything! You want a better dining seat, you gotta pay more! That is what turning off people. Plus, Elon Musk's crazy tweets and wild ideas not helping at all. My son refuses to consider a Tesla for the sole reason of Musk being an ass!

Not expecting them to be best at everything, just saying, when they were more or less the only ones offering a feature, it was okay for them to charge extra, because it gave the costumer something extra and made the car "cutting edge"

Now, when other cheaper alternatives suddenly also have these features and more and more of them become "standard", even on the lowest trim, it is preposterous to still charge a premium for these features and expect people to pay a premium for something that is "for free" with every car from other manufacturers.

Just 5 years ago, lane assist and speed sign reading features were paid extra's or only in higher spec models, where you paid extra for these features (Atleast in the part of the world i live in)

Today this is just standard, and every car, even the cheapest 1.0 liter *sugar*-car has this feature and if someone were to ask a premium for this, they would not make any money because buyers that would want this feature would just buy some other car that had it as standard.

More or less all features in cars was at one time something only the most expensive brands and models had, but today you can literally not buy a car without it.

Seatbelts, ABS, ESP/ESC, Airbags, pretentioning seatbelts, DAB radio, light sensor for auto-light, TPMS systems and so on.

I would argue, in 5 years Auto-lanechange, auto-steer from onramp to offramp and so on, is going to be included with every tesla sold and it will not be part of some extra package you have to buy, simply because Tesla would be the only ones that would ask money to enable these features.

They will probably have some other features at that time, you need to buy, but those will not be standard at that time.