Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto steer Not ready for prime time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 48.2, it has you get out of the passing lane.
So I am two updates behind? Pissa! I got in one day and noticed a small circle in the lower left of the silhouette view with a small i in it. Generally that means pressing it provides an informational message. Nothing happened when I pressed it and it did disappear. How does the car let you know there is a pending update? I do understand once the update starts the car is out of service for the duration, hour or two? I wondered if that circle i was pending update available. However I can't find any reference to an available update on any of the screens I've checked out.

Is that the update with advanced summons????? Elon said / implied that would be out "before the end of the year" and that was in November he said it. At the outside he may have meant end of NEXT year (which implies something entirely different).

So I am two updates behind? Pissa! I got in one day and noticed a small circle in the lower left of the silhouette view with a small i in it. Generally that means pressing it provides an informational message. Nothing happened when I pressed it and it did disappear. How does the car let you know there is a pending update? I do understand once the update starts the car is out of service for the duration, hour or two? I wondered if that circle i was pending update available. However I can't find any reference to an available update on any of the screens I've checked out.

Is that the update with advanced summons????? Elon said / implied that would be out "before the end of the year" and that was in November he said it. At the outside he may have meant end of NEXT year (which implies something entirely different).
Looks like 3 now. 50.x rolling out.

No advanced summon on mine.

How does it notify you? I did program in my WiFi but it only shows as one bottom arch, more like a period. It does have a pretty good cell signal though. At this point I am concerned I've seen no updates since Nov 7 pickup.
You get a message on your app and on the screen in the car. Sounds like your WiFi signal is not strong enough to get the update. Can you hook up to a better WiFi? Or move your access point closer?

You get a message on your app and on the screen in the car. Sounds like your WiFi signal is not strong enough to get the update. Can you hook up to a better WiFi? Or move your access point closer?
I think the only way to do that is buy a 25' run of cat-6 to put an access point right next to the garage. And liokely have to run power to it as well. But, isn't the presence of WiFi just a function of how long the downloading takes? It does have a signal, just not a terribly strong one.

I think the only way to do that is buy a 25' run of cat-6 to put an access point right next to the garage. And liokely have to run power to it as well. But, isn't the presence of WiFi just a function of how long the downloading takes? It does have a signal, just not a terribly strong one.
I use a wifi extender to increase the wifi signal in my garage. It's been working great.

You can get a Wifi extender or look into mesh Wi-Fi like Google Wi-Fi (which I have). 275 bucks from Costco a few months ago for 4 access points, which has been an amazing upgrade for me in terms of my Wi-Fi speed and reliability all over my house. Not sure if they’re still doing the deal or not.

How does it notify you? I did program in my WiFi but it only shows as one bottom arch, more like a period. It does have a pretty good cell signal though. At this point I am concerned I've seen no updates since Nov 7 pickup.

As others have mentioned, the car will alert you on-screen (and in-app) when an update is available. It sounds like your WiFi signal is too weak for the car to use, so you will have to move your access point closer to (or into) the garage temporarily until the car alerts you that an update is available (this can take some time), or use a range extender as others have suggested.

I park my Model 3 in a garage that backs onto the family room where the WiFi access point is located, and even then the signal in the Tesla isn't great (despite devices like my iPad or iPhone having no WiFi issues when in the car in the garage) so I suspect it's one of those things where you need to make an effort to ensure the car has sufficiently strong WiFi to actually download the updates.

RE: traffic adaptive cruise control - others have mentioned its availability on other makes. I just want to add Subaru's EyeSight to that list, comes with the premium trim lines. We got it on a 2018 Impreza, which cost half our Model 3's price. Being retired and not driving much, I found TACC to be the only attractive feature of EAP in my trial, and definitely not worth another $6k by itself. I agree with previous posters that it would be nice if Tesla would unbundle things that actually work from functions that are far from perfect or useful. Personal preference.

Reactions: IROAR
It's fun to try out these new features but there comes a point where you have to question using your customer base as beta testers.
It clearly states on the U.I. it is BETA. If you are not comfortable being a BETA tester, don't buy it and don't use it.

I enjoy using EAP in Beta version. It makes me more attentive to the road (rather than less) and more engaged with the car (rather than less).

Reactions: Stellavator
No... std cruise control will simply allow the driver to do a set speed regardless of someone slower in front of them. Touching brakes disengages cruise control. This is the level of cruise control likely every car comes with at this point. TACC is aka adaptive cruise control which is what you just described.

Note: you can get a pdf version of the user manual online via google so you can read it at your leisure.

I definitely know what 'standard' cruise control is and how it works. I was just not aware of how the so called 'standard' on a Tesla 3 works. I have been told by some it is just like any other car and told by others that it will still slow you down if you get close to the car in front of you- without auto pilot.

I have also read the manual but I don't see where it says one way or another.

I had the free 30 day trial of auto pilot and the adaptive cruise control was part of it. It finally ran out.

I guess I will just have to get out and drive and test it- and be ready to slam on my brakes if need be ;-)

I definitely know what 'standard' cruise control is and how it works. I was just not aware of how the so called 'standard' on a Tesla 3 works. I have been told by some it is just like any other car and told by others that it will still slow you down if you get close to the car in front of you- without auto pilot.

I have also read the manual but I don't see where it says one way or another.

I had the free 30 day trial of auto pilot and the adaptive cruise control was part of it. It finally ran out.

I guess I will just have to get out and drive and test it- and be ready to slam on my brakes if need be ;-)
Model 3 cruise without EAP is standard cruise. No braking. Non-adaptive. Does not use the radar. Simply keeps a speed.

• Helpful
Reactions: RachH
Good because it will NOT slow the car down, adaptive cruise control, or as Tesla calls it, TACC does that. The notation Tesla gives to std cruise control states owners should refer to their in car owners manual for instructions on how to use it. I'll take a guess and say the soft version of the manual covers what your car has, the public PDF covers most cars. I can't explain why they took a whole sentence to say refer to your car's owners manual for instructions on how to use it rather than adding one more sentence to say it works identically except it will not slow you car approaching slower traffic. So my guess it initiates identically and terminates with braking but it won't keep a set distance from traffic in front of you. Rather than ask here, you could go to your Tesla page which now has a 'ask a question' option and ask tesla directly. If I had to guess I'd also say the right thumbwheel can raise or lower the set speed.
There is another option, that language in the pdf was a place holder put in before the decision was made any sort of cruise control will require EAP and it was never pulled from the pdf. Therefor you have zero cruise control. Two ways to find out, try it and ask Tesla the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: RachH