Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto steer Not ready for prime time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought it and I own it and indeed across two separate vehicles with the same system I've observed exactly these problems. So I'm afraid your formula does not explain my results.

Sorry, I do in fact agree with most of the issues described by the OP -- so I agree with you. The difference though is whether these problems are bad enough to make EAP "not ready for prime time", or by inference, dangerous. I don't think they are that bad. I don't do much driving where EAP is helpful but when I do, I find it to be excellent even with the quirks. If I had not purchased it I suspect I would weigh the quirks much differently, and would think "I'll let someone else work out the bugs and then I'll buy it".

I have a 2015 Model S with AutoPilot (the original MobilEye system).
This has tried to kill me once by sending me into oncoming traffic through a gap in the median strip.
This has saved me once by apparently leaping sideways when a truck moved over into my lane. The truck realised its error almost immediately and went back to its own lane but I'm sure without AutoPilot there would have been an accident, possibly fatal. AutoSteer reacted incredibly quickly, before I was even aware of the danger.
Anyway I now have version 9.
Prior to v9 I had a tick box that allowed me to disable lane change on signalling. I now do not have that option.
I like to decide how early I signal depending on road and traffic but my car now changes lane almost immediately on using an indicator with no options to change from MadMax mode or whatever it is.
I find this behaviour intolerable so I now have AutoSteer disabled which is a shame because the car does a much better job than me of staying centred in its lane.
I have requested the tick box be reinstated and I did get an acknowledgement but I'm not holding my breath.
That's interesting as I have V9 in my M3 and definitely can set 4 levels of aggressiveness on lane change. What I will leave to others are the differences in a 2015 S vs current S, X, and 3 systems.

Sorry, I do in fact agree with most of the issues described by the OP -- so I agree with you. The difference though is whether these problems are bad enough to make EAP "not ready for prime time", or by inference, dangerous. I don't think they are that bad. I don't do much driving where EAP is helpful but when I do, I find it to be excellent even with the quirks. If I had not purchased it I suspect I would weigh the quirks much differently, and would think "I'll let someone else work out the bugs and then I'll buy it".
What's interesting in "not ready for prime time" coined by whoever started this thread is, by definition, what beta colloquially means. In software, the gates are between alpha to beta and beta to GA. So to say it's not ready for GA, yeah, Tesla agrees with you that's why the conspicuously call it beta in the documentation.

Reactions: dfwatt
I have to agree with you. Since the update I have felt the reliability to be far worse. Even some of speed limit signs are not reading correctly and they were before the update. I unfortunately will be using it less and when I do certainly being more aware until some of the bugs are worked out.

Uh... It have never read the signs... It is using the speed limits coded into the maps so you may need to adjust your expectations...

I agree. His opinion seems slanted towards justifying why he did not purchase EAP.

You mean my ability to recognize the limitations of AP?

I've seen many posts where someone complains that AP doesn't do something and I'm thinking 'why would you expect it too?'

Though if you want the confirmation bias here's one: I also have full self-driving capability and it is working perfectly.

But seriously, there may be some of that but in that case it is more in the sense that I intend to keep this car for a very long time and by then I believe it will definitely worth it. Is it worth it if it were to stay is it is right now? I don't know but I wouldn't have bought it that way to save the money.

I'm trying to imagine what would I have done if the price at order time and later upgrade would be the same and I can't say whether I would have waited or ordered right away. Obviously, full self-driving would have had to wait in that situation.

On tripe is way not enough to understand the benefits. I have gone thousands of miles on numbers cross Western US strips and would never ever consider not having this amazing capability. AP is constantly learning and if you had tried in with AP1 you would see how it's constantly improving. Understanding left freeway exits, slowing down for curves, understanding truck shadows, and other things.
Did you submit a bug report when the anomaly occurred? If not, get on board and contribute to making the experience better.
Press the mic button say "Bug Report" and state your concern.
Thank you I will

What's interesting in "not ready for prime time" coined by whoever started this thread is, by definition, what beta colloquially means. In software, the gates are between alpha to beta and beta to GA. So to say it's not ready for GA, yeah, Tesla agrees with you that's why the conspicuously call it beta in the documentation.

This question is for you high tech folks.
When a software company offers users the opportunity to Beta test a new version is there typically a charge to the user or does the company provide the software at nc until it is fully released?

When a software company offers users the opportunity to Beta test a new version is there typically a charge to the user or does the company provide the software at nc until it is fully released?
This is a little different as this is continually improving software. Think of Software Defined Radio where, in the case of one vendor, you can purchase a new product that introduces new features on a regular basis. You still had to pay for the radio and, after that version is finished, pay additional money for the next version. Use of these new features is completely optional for the user. You do not have to use the beta software. Should you decide to, it is incumbent to understand it is beta software.

I have a new Model 3 and have used NOA often. My initial opinion was much like yours, but the NOA is much smoother and more effective when you give it some help. The Tesla cruise control does not kick off when you add power - it just waits until you are done and resumes control. The Autopilot and NOA also remain engaged. So when the NOA slows down to 25 mph (the posted caution sign) on an on-ramp, with four cars on your rear bumper, just press on the "gas" pedal to smoothly increase speed as appropriate. When the set speed increases at the end of the ramp release the gas pedal. When the NOA wants to change lanes and you approve, it will ignore the gap ahead of it and instead try to slow down to find a gap. If you add a little "gas" as you approve the lane change it will see the gap ahead and smoothly make the lane change, as you would have done. Try it.

That's interesting as I have V9 in my M3 and definitely can set 4 levels of aggressiveness on lane change. What I will leave to others are the differences in a 2015 S vs current S, X, and 3 systems.

Note that this does not change the way it performs lane changes at all. All that setting does is change how it suggests lane changes (based on your speed and the speed of the car in front of you).

I am only 3 days into the trial but I like it. I love the TACC. I know that is not unique, but it works really well. If it can autosteer my commute on I40 (which is a mess), I'll keep it. Is it worth 5k ? probably.

PS. I cannot believe M3 does not have even regular cruise control without AP. grrrrr.

Note that this does not change the way it performs lane changes at all. All that setting does is change how it suggests lane changes (based on your speed and the speed of the car in front of you).
I don't believe that's entirely accurate. It involves also the positioning and net speed differential of adjacent traffic. For instance, MadMax mode will punch out in front of an overtaking car, whereas the more milder modes will cause less cardiac issues for traffic.

PS. I cannot believe M3 does not have even regular cruise control without AP. grrrrr.
According to doc, yes it does. I believe it works the same way as it does under EAP, the right stalk full depression once. Page 67, as I recall in the owners manual. If not page 61. What I refer to is the instruction for non-EAP owners to refer to their online owners manual for how to activate straight cruise control. A version of the owners manual I had a year or so ago said how to activate it. I've since overlaid it.

I don't believe that's entirely accurate. It involves also the positioning and net speed differential of adjacent traffic. For instance, MadMax mode will punch out in front of an overtaking car, whereas the more milder modes will cause less cardiac issues for traffic.
This is not how it behaves for me. For me it behaves exactly as the manual describes. When changing lanes it's still just as slow and cautious.

It's the only way to prove to some people that it steers itself. Also, for TV purposes it makes the point. I don't think it's that bad if you''re ready to grab the wheel back immediately and you only do it for a few seconds. Elon probably commented that you're not supposed to leave your hands off the wheel, but they edited that out to save time. I didn't really think much of that interview honestly. It was all fluff and very little substance.
Yeah, 60 minutes edited a lot of stuff to make it more unfavorable.

it depends. You can definitely have paid partnerships for early access to new features, especially but not only when there is a contingent sale pending. Supporting beta users definitely costs the vendor additional money in resources.

According to doc, yes it does. I believe it works the same way as it does under EAP, the right stalk full depression once. Page 67, as I recall in the owners manual. If not page 61. What I refer to is the instruction for non-EAP owners to refer to their online owners manual for how to activate straight cruise control. A version of the owners manual I had a year or so ago said how to activate it. I've since overlaid it.

Wow, 96 occurances to TACC and exactly one reference to this. Thanks.

"Note: If your vehicle is not equipped with the optional Enhanced Autopilot or Full SelfDriving Capability package, refer to the owner's manual on your vehicle's touchscreen for instructions on how to use Cruise Control."​