TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto trader guarantee trade in/sale vs carmax vs tesla

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by hankinjax, Jul 22, 2016.

1. hankinjax

hankinjax Member

I sold my 2013 Model S to get ready to take delivery for new Model S. I used the auto trader guarantee at my local Toyota dealer. Went incredibly smooth and was paid $8000 for than what Carmax offered and $6000 more than Tesla offered. I thought for sure it was going to be a scam to get me into dealer but it was not.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. Austin Powers

Austin Powers Member

Good to know. Will give it a shot. Thanks!

3. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

These are relative values. Can you also,provide the actual values please? If Tesla offered you $20K for your Model S.....well, you get it. Thanks for sharing.

4. m2s2

m2s2 Member

Good to know. Do you lose anything on taxes, not trading in with Tesla when getting new car?

5. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

In MD, you get a tax credit towards your new car, based on the trade-in value of the car you are turning in. This only applies if you trade in your car to the same dealer you are buying a new car.

So if you buy a $10k car, and your trade-in amount is $10k, your new car is effectively tax free.

6. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

I heard it is better to trade in directly with Tesla in Texas for a major tax reduction.

I plan to do that but also have an appraisal from CarMax and a local dealer in my back pocket if the Tesla appraisal is way off.

7. CapeOne

CapeOne Member

Many (most?) states deduct trade value from purchase price before calculating sales tax e.g. if you are buying an $80K car and have no trade the sales tax is on the full $80K but if you are buying an $80K car and have a $20K trade the sales tax is based on $60K ($80K-$20K).

If sales tax is 7%, the tax savings with trade would be $1,400. In this example, as long as one is getting over $1,400 more selling to another dealer or privately it would be worth it at least from a financial standpoint.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Austin Powers

Austin Powers Member

Cnasty,

If private party sales price < trade-in + sales tax savings, then definitely trade-in. I plan to put mine up on craigslist to see if there is any interest between now and delivery date. Worst-case, will trade-in with Tesla, just for the sake of convenience. Don't forget to get a quote from carmax for Tesla to match.

9. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

Thanks!

Not sure if I have the knowledge and patience to do a private sale so tesla or a instant offer from Kelly blue book will probably be my best bet. Tried Carmax and felt super low on the offer.

10. Austin Powers

Austin Powers Member

I put up my beat up Murano on Craigslist and I'm flooded with offers (yet to see how many are legit). I listed it about 2k more than what Tesla was offering. Will come out with way more cash than sales tax savings via a trade-in. Most likely going the private sale route now.

You should definitely give it a try! Title transfer is a simple 20 minute thing at the county clerk's office.

• Like x 1
  11. EternalChampion

I've sold two vehicles with the AutoTrader guarantee in the last year. The first transaction was perfect, took in a Ford Raptor and received only slightly less than I paid for the vehicle (which was 4 years old with 22k miles), the second transaction was complete crap. The dealership thought my BMW was a "specialty" vehicle and low-balled my Autotrader offer which caused me to walk. Ultimately, Tesla gave me the same deal on a trade-in for my Model X.

I think that if you're selling common vehicles, the Autotrader guarantee seemed to work well, although you will receive a little less than you'd get in the private market. The convenience was totally worth it to me...at least for the first vehicle.

12. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Piece of advice, if your income is anything above 30k, never allow the flea market gang visit your home. You could be in for terrible surprises later.

• Like x 1
  13. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Reservations at Restaurant at Universe end

Close to where SpaceXploration begins: 32952
    Hi! Just crawled out from under a rock and your post was the first thing I saw. What is the "auto trader guarantee"? Thanks. I'll await a response in the deep shade of my Precambrian abode.

• Funny x 1
  14. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

You basically get wholesale offers from dealers.

15. Austin Powers

Austin Powers Member

A private sale on Craigslist is not a bad idea either. Just make sure you show the car at a public place and not invite people over to your house.