Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto windshield wipers first experience in Oregon - they suck!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've said it before, they need to test the auto wipers in Florida, not California. I think the interface is fine (button for single-wipe, screen controls etc) but the auto ability is what's lacking. However, they are better now (34.x) than when the car was delivered (24.x) so I appreciate Tesla's commitment to continually improve them.

I've had mixed issues but seems to be getting better recently (now on SW 32.6). Can somebody tell me where the camera or sensor(s) are that are detecting the rain?

As many have reported it seems better with bigger rain drops. It's particularly bad at mist, like when the highway is wet and there is constant spray but not much downpour. Unfortunately I live in a place that has a lot of constant, very light rain. I'd love to see the sensitivity adjustable in the software.

I think applying Rain-X will help, that's my next step.

My 3’s auto wipers have been great. Before and after the application of RainX. I’d like them even better if I could reduce the sensitivity by 10-15%. One feature I miss from our Ford Escape is the ability to adjust the sensitivity of the auto wipers. It has 7 levels of sensitivity for personal preference.

I’ve been happy with my auto wipers. Though, I tend to prefer less wiping. I do wish I could set a max wiper speed so the auto setting will never switch to high speed. Unless the car gets splashed by a passing or oncoming vehicle, I would never need high speed. And, in that case, I’d trigger the wipers with a manual button.

I’m on v2018.32.6

Interesting, I'm the opposite. High speed is the only speed that does not stutter/chatter on mine. The stutter/chatter is horrible. Renders the wipers virtually useless. I'm appalled at their performance.

BTW, already did rubbing alchohol, don't use Rain-X or anything else on the windshield.

Reactions: SJC3
Mine are terrible too. The auto pacing is poorly calibrated and they tend to wipe too frequently. This usually leads to stuttering and squeeking. For now we just manually adjust the wipers and when it’s slow but steady, I just hit the button when needed. Sucks.

Just tried wipers on our car (delivered Aug. 29th) for the first time this week. All manual settings work fine; auto wipers move slower but still are acceptable with no stuttering. I do keep the windscreen very clean and do not use coatings.

I'll just leave it here:

Screenshot_20181129-231619.png

Does it feel perfectly smooth to the touch? Have you tried #0000 steel wool on the windshield?
It feels perfectly smooth to the touch - as smooth as glass (appropriate, I suppose, because it is glass).

I'm not sure what to make of the steel wool suggestion. But .. . . with the windshield being as smooth as, well, as glass, no reason to try any particular substance on it.

It feels perfectly smooth to the touch - as smooth as glass (appropriate, I suppose, because it is glass).

I'm not sure what to make of the steel wool suggestion. But .. . . with the windshield being as smooth as, well, as glass, no reason to try any particular substance on it.
Next time you're in a parking lot run your finger on a few different windshields... there are varying levels of 'smoothness'.

Even if you clean it really well, it may not be as smooth as it should be. Same thing with paint hence people use clay bars.

My auto wipers seem to have the opposite issue, it never wipes enough. I always have to repeatedly click on the ends to initiate more wipes then just end up setting it to a quicker manual mode. And several times when I first get into the car the auto wipers go crazy into full speed with a few drops on the windshield.

My auto wipers seem to have the opposite issue, it never wipes enough. I always have to repeatedly click on the ends to initiate more wipes then just end up setting it to a quicker manual mode. And several times when I first get into the car the auto wipers go crazy into full speed with a few drops on the windshield.

I have the same experience as you. VIN 27xxx, SW 44.1 I think, but it's been the same since delivery.