Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wipers stopped working on auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s because they are using a rain sensor while Tesla trying to use the cameras.

Every automaker uses cameras to detect rain. There are no other "rain sensors" :D
Some just program it better than others.

Tesla auto wipers used to work ok but now seem to be disabled.

Tesla autowipe logic had been mocked with with every other software update.
Some make it better, some make it worse. None make it "good enough".

For example, my wipers always go into frenzy mode whenever I pull into my garage with a peg board. It has been a 100% repeatable and laughably idiotic behavior for the past 5 years. Given Tesla's track record, it will continue to be the same for the next 5 years.

I use voice commands or stalk button. I’ve heard you can adjust the speed with the left steering wheel button by clicking left or right.

Manual mode is the sweat spot for me.
Sadly, the car lacks a wiper stalk, so I have to take my eyes off the road to adjust the speed during rain events.

It is what it is.

Every automaker uses cameras to detect rain. There are no other "rain sensors" :D
Some just program it better than others.
Tesla uses a camera but an infrared sensor is industry standard.
Ultrasonic wipers are the dream... Although given the age of that article maybe just a pipedream.

Sadly, the car lacks a wiper stalk, so I have to take my eyes off the road to adjust the speed during rain events.
When you press manual wipe you can then use the left scroll wheel left and right to change wiper speed so long as the on screen menu is visible.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
It's interesting how varied some of the experiences are here. The auto wipers for me were generally OKish, but not great. I always wished there was an "offset" that we could set - I generally wanted the wipers to go one level faster than what the auto wiper did.

After this recent software update, as much as my limited experience can tell, they are noticeably worse, It could rain to the point where the raindrops have completely covered the entire windshield with water and the wipers have not come on once. At that point I of course have to activate them on me own.

I wish Tesla would dedicate some CPU cycles to improving them, would be a nice and noticeable improvement.

Reactions: brianp6621
People are up in arms about the autopilot not being safe yet I'm stunned how unsafe it is when I literally can't see the road and the "auto" wipers just don't turn on.
How is this not a priority?
Baffled.
And it’s not just that you can’t see the road. It’s also really distracting. It completely takes my mind off driving in the bad weather, and I get completely focused on how the wipers could possibly be this bad and whether or not I should turn them up or turn them off, or reboot the car, or cry, or get a therapist….

People are up in arms about the autopilot not being safe yet I'm stunned how unsafe it is when I literally can't see the road and the "auto" wipers just don't turn on.
How is this not a priority?
Baffled.

Think of this one for a little bit. The car is still seeing the road.

And "People" is much more accurately said as "Some People" because it definitely isn't all users.

Yep Auto Wipers are the least 'Auto' wipers that I have had on any of my other cars with auto wipers. This is no different than lane keeping assist which has a mind of its own unlike other cars where its either on or off and not 'may be' like the Tesla LoL

my auto wipers know nothing in between being "off" and going panic mode "as fast as possible". auto wipers have been a hot mess for years now... they seem incapable of just doing a slow and steady wipe like most drivers would prefer. i don't need a panic fast wiping the moment there are 6 rain drops on my windshield...

my auto wipers know nothing in between being "off" and going panic mode "as fast as possible". auto wipers have been a hot mess for years now... they seem incapable of just doing a slow and steady wipe like most drivers would prefer. i don't need a panic fast wiping the moment there are 6 rain drops on my windshield...
Make sure that you clean the area in front of the camera very well by hand.

Reactions: rpiotro
When on auto my my windshield wipers were always to fast or to slow. Today, on 3 different trips, from light to heavy rain the wipers never came on. Not one stroke. Wipers were set to auto. If it matters I just replaced the wipers. Ideas? They literally never came on at all.
I have the exact same problem.
My auto wipers used to work (maybe not great but did work) for years. Now when I set them to "auto" it's the same as "off".
I had the car in a service center couple weeks ago - and ask them; they refused to even look, they said "it's a software issue, nothing we can do".

Just confirms my "Tesla continually manages to make the car worse" point. If it was software update that caused this.

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev
Tesla's auto wipers are awful. Sometimes they don't come on when they should, and often when they do it's not at an appropriate speed. Or sometimes it's at an appropriate speed and then they slow down or stop for no reason. I'll say it again: the auto wipers are AWFUL!

My favorite is when I'm driving on the highway at 0530 to catch an early flight, using autopilot and my wipers going off every time I pass under a light with a pristine windshield and not a cloud in the dark sky. My blood pressure increases with each dry wipe but I love autopilot too much to turn it off!! 😡😡😡😡

Please please please let us turn off wipers when in autopilot. I'm college educated and can decide when I want the wipers on! 🤪🤪🤪

Reactions: DomDeWild
I just came in here to post about this.

I had a 2018 Model S 100D and now a 2023 S Plaid. The auto wipers all worked passably well enough (needing an occasional manual swipe or rarely switch to manual mode) but some time in the last 1-2 months (didn't track it closely) they are next to worthless always requiring me to go into manual mode.

The don't turn on as reliably any more, but the worst part is the wiper speed is NEVER enough to keep up with the current conditions. There are times when my entire windshield is a wall of water and the autowipers are acting like if I was on the slowest manual mode.

Very annoying given I was reasonably satisfied with their behavior for 5 years and now this.