Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wipers stopped working on auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When on auto my my windshield wipers were always to fast or to slow. Today, on 3 different trips, from light to heavy rain the wipers never came on. Not one stroke. Wipers were set to auto. If it matters I just replaced the wipers. Ideas? They literally never came on at all.

My auto wipers are very inconsistent, sometimes they don’t come on when it’s pouring, other times they come on when there’s no rain. I was told by Tesla Service today that a firmware fix was coming, but wasn’t given a time frame. We’ll see.

When on auto my my windshield wipers were always to fast or to slow. Today, on 3 different trips, from light to heavy rain the wipers never came on. Not one stroke. Wipers were set to auto. If it matters I just replaced the wipers. Ideas? They literally never came on at all.

Tesla "auto" wiper settings NEVER worked right for me in over 5 years. So I've learned to NEVER use that mode.
Manual button press (at the end of turn signal stalk, of all places!?👿) initiates wiping action, when appropriate. Manually adjust the frequency on the screen, as needed.

Yes, it's highly unfortunate. 😢
Even more so that we do NOT have proper wiper stalk to make these adjustments without taking an eye off the road.
But that's Tesla for you!

Maybe some experiments with a hose are in order.

Please keep it PG-13.

On the bright side, I have it from a good source, that Elon says this will be resolved in future firmware release coming in about two weeks.

You still trust that clown?

Reactions: pikeman
Some of the latest updates seem to have mucked with the wipers. And they've gotten kind of weird lately.

Before the recent updates, they were relatively consistent, but some people liked them, and some hated them. They worked fine for me, but they didn't wipe enough for my wife.

But some of the latest updates are doing weird things, like switching the setting from auto to off or a speed setting. And it take a fair amount of rain to turn them on.

Reactions: android04
After the last update or two my auto wipers now work great. It's been raining off and on the last few days at various intensities, and auto has been flawless with one exception when I was behind a truck on the highway and the water getting kicked up onto my windshield wasn't interpreted as rain.

My auto wipers (2018 Performance 3) work perfectly. In my wife’s recently acquired Model Y AWD, they don't seem to work so well. I’m thinking the system may adjust for her after awhile as I seem to remember just leaving it on auto all the while as an adjustment period for my car back in ’18, but we’ll see.

My airports auto wipers on my 2018 have mostly been satisfactory or great for me, sometimes needing an occasional nudge to get them started.

However, the last few software updates they have been missing in action just like OP and others. They never seem to come automatically at all. I have to manually set a speed to keep them running. I believe it's a software bug. Hopefully a later update fixes it.

For the record, I'm on FSD Beta software.

Well they have been working well for the last few days, but this morning they failed to come on several times. They seem to have a problem identifying water on the windshield when it's a relatively even film, as opposed to more defined droplets. But that's just an observation.

To be clear, for my part, I was joking!
Yea, most of us understood that.

IMG_1435.jpeg

The automatic wiper feature on my 2020 M3 is the worst I have ever experienced. I had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with far better auto wipers than my Tesla. I have also had 3 Volvos with better auto wipers, so it's not impossible to get this technology to work better.
That’s because they are using a rain sensor while Tesla trying to use the cameras. Tesla auto wipers used to work ok but now seem to be disabled. I use voice commands or stalk button. I’ve heard you can adjust the speed with the left steering wheel button by clicking left or right.

Reactions: Shelburne