Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic homelink only works when you drive forward?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a fairly long drive way and I like to back up the drive way into my garage. I have configured the homelink to automatically open/close the garage within 50ft but I noticed that when I put the car into reverse. the counter that shows my distance to the garage does not go down no matter how far I have reversed. Everything is fine if I drive forward as I'm leaving the garage. Does anyone else have this issue with your model 3?

It never worked for me, coming or going, when I tried it out of curiosity. I assume it's the dense tree coverage all around my house that are obscuring GPS signal though. I'm too scared to actually use it from all the horror stories of garage doors coming down on tops of cars anyway.

I could be out on a limb here but do you have it set to a long distance away, and the car itself is blocking the signal when reversing. I'm amazed mine works at 100ft, and wouldn't be surprised if I was in reverse and the car blocked the signal at 100ft...

Mine I have set so that there is 5-10 ft left before it triggers when I drive past the house, so that it doesn't auto-open if I just pass the house. if I pull forward into my driveway, it opens. If I back in, it still shows 5-10 ft and never changes or opens.

I have auto close off. The car was parked in front of my garage door the other day, ready to be backed into the garage. I backed it in and the car closed the garage door on top of the rear glass and the garage door sensed the extra load and opened back up. Ugh.

OP and those having issues, how far are you from your garage when you start reversing? Could you set your location a longer distance so that it would trigger the garage door to open before you start reversing? I guess if your driveway is long enough it could be out of range or there's a chance of a false trigger if you're just driving by. For the latter you could at least cancel the homelink before it triggers.