Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wendy and I made our first road trip this weekend Port Stephens to Brisbane and back.

I have been trying to test out auto-lane change for a few days on local highways, its simply never worked. Then much to my amusement in one spot in NSW and then on the freeway between the NSW/QLD border to Brisbane, the car started rendering more than just a single lane in the drivers info display, and auto lane-change started to work.

So my question is does anybody understand the conditions required to have the feature work? Is it data driven by maps? Is it geofenced in some way? Or is it driven by the structure of the road itself as identified by the cameras? Or maybe something else?

Cheers
Brendon

Howdy Brendon, having a lot of different pax in my car I go through 100 questions about the car. I try and show all of its features off in the course of the trip, yes sometimes I have no idea why auto lane changing works and sometimes not in the same area at different time.

Today with a group of happy Pakistani businessmen (listening to sports news from back home) twice it begun to change lanes at the 4 lanes just north of the airport tunnel (heading north) when the Robot panicked and rather violently resumed its lane.

I guess it's gotta be programmed fairly conservatively for safety sake, and it must have got a reading from the car 2 lanes away.

There was a period last week where the Robot simply wouldn't change lanes, then on Saturday started taking orders again.

Despite multiple attempts I have never got it to work. I normally try it between north sydney and the airport. @LimoX I must be not trying it at the right spot?

I do hope we've discovered some "individual characteristics" in a Tesla.

There's no rhyme or reason to it working or not that I. An make out. I guess the Robot is programmed very conservatively for safety sake.

After driving the X for the last 10 weeks clocking up more than 18,000 km today I find myself in my 2010 Holden Caprice V8 today . Oh my goodness! You can only truly appreciate how good A Tesla is when you step back in time like this!