Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that Ultra Cruise will be similar to Tesla's FSD Beta and Mobileye's Super Vision. So, we are seeing several companies now trying to offer L2 "door to door".

I know it is not autonomous driving but it is news about a company's ADAS progress so I figured this thread might still be ok, rather than start a new thread.
I have no problem with this, but there are people up thread that claimed Tesla's FSD/City Streets doesn't qualify for this thread given it's end-to-end L2. Wonder how they feel about Ultra Cruise and/or Mobileye's solution.

I have no problem with this, but there are people up thread that claimed Tesla's FSD/City Streets doesn't qualify for this thread given it's end-to-end L2. Wonder how they feel about Ultra Cruise and/or Mobileye's solution.

Fair enough. To be consistent, we probably should not discuss Ultra Cruise in this thread either. I just did not really want to start a separate thread. But we can move it to a separate thread if people want to discuss Ultra Cruise.

Maybe we need a "Non-Tesla ADAS progress thread" where we can discuss Ultra Cruise, Super Vision, Highway Teammate, Drive Pilot etc... ?

I don't think I've seen anyone suggest FSD Beta should not be discussed in this thread. Though there are dedicated threads for it. Like 6 on the first page.

Sharing news of a product that does not exist, and will demonstrably be more expensive than FSD due to the addition of Lidar. And "mapped roads."

As Spock would say, "how crude."

We won't know how competent Ultra Cruise will be until it's on the market.

But if this is not based on MobilEye but by its affiliated company Cruise with LIDAR then I think it's promising news.

Cruise has been having a good track record with CA DMV in its annual disengagement report:

27 disengagements / 770,049.26 miles

Reactions: diplomat33
You mean ... they won't give out the beta to dozens who can post videos on youtube ?! What are they trying to hide ?

I think GM's consumer approach is much more conservative compared to Tesla's beta program.

It may not allow risky beta products until it's good enough for consumers.

So while in beta, consumers may not see a lot but we can read Cruise CA DMV in its annual disengagement report to get an idea of how many deaths or disasters has it accumulated.

It may not allow risky beta products until it's good enough for consumers.
That was just a joke.

Anyway here is an article with more details.
- Adds lidar
- doesn't use HD maps
- can't handle things like roundabouts.
- can do left/right turns (not sure about unprotected left)

Ultra Cruise-enabled vehicles will come equipped with lidar, which historically is rare for production vehicles thanks to the high costs associated with the laser sensor. “The sensing architecture is all new,” Ditman said. “There are additional cameras and radars, and we are adding lidar to the vehicle.”

Ultra Cruise won’t be able to handle every driving scenario. Ditman gave the example of a roundabout as a type of complex road condition that the ADAS will not be able to navigate. A light bar in the steering wheel will communicate to the driver when they need to control, sending signals through escalating lights and haptic feedback. A voice assistant will also inform the driver when they need to take the wheel.

GM relied on lidar-scanned high-definition maps for Super Cruise, but Ditman said it wasn’t practical to map all 2 million miles of road for Ultra Cruise. “We do rely on similar map data,” he said. “However, we have a larger number of sensors that also observe the roads so when we combine the map accuracy with what our sensors see of the road geometry and the road markings, we’re still able to accurately place ourselves and drive the right nominal path.”

Kind of ironic, then, that this same corporation used a known-defective ignition switch in hundreds of thousands millions of its cars over many years.
In multiple instances approach of GM/Ford etc is to hide problems by paying off people who complained and binding them to secrecy. This is a common tactic used by corporations in all kinds of industries, actually. They don't mind killing a lot of people if they can get away with it to save a few bucks.

Reactions: mark95476
In multiple instances approach of GM/Ford etc is to hide problems by paying off people who complained and binding them to secrecy. This is a common tactic used by corporations in all kinds of industries, actually. They don't mind killing a lot of people if they can get away with it to save a few bucks.
I teach the Pinto case in my bioethics course. (Many of my students move into the business side of pharma or medical device manufacturing, so it's one of a few general business ethics cases we examine.)

Reactions: mark95476 and EVNow

Have yet to see anyone say this. infact i have seen the opposite, people saying other systems doesn't count/matter because they are either not tesla or not US based.

I don't think it's Mobileye, I think they are using Nvidia as EyeQ 5 and 6 will be on TSMC 7nm.
Developed by Israel...what does that even mean? o_o
1633526244733.jpg

I'll say the same thing about GM's Ultra Cruise that I say about Tesla's FSD: Wake me when it actually exists.

At least Tesla has a history of building the safest cars on the road. GM has a history of screwing over its customers and the nation. I'll keep ragging on Elon Musk for spouting hot air about FSD. But when Tesla builds a car it's a great car. I wouldn't trust GM as far as I could throw a Suburban.

And FWIW, I think I'd rather have to keep a hand on the wheel than my eyes straight ahead. I'm always looking around to check out what cars are around me. Plus, pressure on the wheel seems like a check that's much less likely to fail than an eye monitor.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Is the compute made by MobilEye - if so, its strange they are going with 5nm that Intel will only support next year (according to wiki).
Intel is actually outsourcing the manufacturing of some of their designs to TSMC (e.g. the new discrete XE GPUs). Their packaging technology can mix and match chips from their own fabs and external suppliers. Wouldn't suprise me if TSMC or maybe Samsung also manufactured MobilEye's chips.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
I don't think I've seen anyone suggest FSD Beta should not be discussed in this thread. Though there are dedicated threads for it. Like 6 on the first page.
Have yet to see anyone say this. infact i have seen the opposite, people saying other systems doesn't count/matter because they are either not tesla or not US based.
Right here:
Well when I paid for FSD in 2017, on a car Tesla had to buy back because they didn't deliver, I certainly hoped for full self driving as they marketed.
I still hope they deliver autonomous technology, but until then I think we don't need to discuss Tesla in this thread at all. Tesla, including FSD beta, has a place in the ADAS thread at the moment, I'm afraid.
Under the same standard Ultra Cruise and Mobileye's end-to-end L2 solution can't be discussed here either. But again, I'm not suggesting that, nor do I agree with that take. I think all of those are fair game here as they are still semi-autonomous and are related (the line between end-to-end L2 and L4 is super blurry to the layperson). Plus at least some of these systems have aspirations of possibly enabling higher levels in the future with software.

Reactions: Bladerskb