Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you help me with this one? I'm sure it's been covered somewhere, but if you could point me to the post with the evidence for this claim?

I understand that FSD feature-complete is promised by the end of this year, but based on the currently-sold FSD that's just a level 2 system. (Not talking about prior sold version descriptions of FSD here - those people have been abandoned, or promises will be broken, I'm fairly sure.)

So specifically, where does this level 5 bit come from? Sorry if I've already asked this or if it's already been answered (I am sure it has).
Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

Can you help me with this one? I'm sure it's been covered somewhere, but if you could point me to the post with the evidence for this claim?

I understand that FSD feature-complete is promised by the end of this year, but based on the currently-sold FSD that's just a level 2 system. (Not talking about prior sold version descriptions of FSD here - those people have been abandoned, or promises will be broken, I'm fairly sure.)

So specifically, where does this level 5 bit come from? Sorry if I've already asked this or if it's already been answered (I am sure it has).

As most everything recent, it comes from the Tesla Autonomy Investor Day — full video on YouTube.

OK so here. It is around 3:31:45 on the full Tesla video.

Question from the audience: ”Just so that we understand the definitions, when you refer to feature complete self-driving it sounds like you are talking Level 5 no geofence? Is that whats expected by the end of the year? Just so...”

Musk: ”Yes.”

Youtube has transcripts.
3:31:45
Colin Lang and UBS: "Just so we understand the definitions when you refer to feature complete self-driving it sounds like you're talking level 5, no geofence. Is that what's expected by the end of year?"
Elon Musk: "Yes."

I guess we should really compile a list of these ridiculous claims.

As most everything recent, it comes from the Tesla Autonomy Investor Day — full video on YouTube.

Yeah, I guess I have seen that before. Every time I read that transcript I just discard that particular claim as bad data (does not compute), so I don't remember it. I'm sure I'll be asking this same question again in a couple weeks.

It's clearly not going to happen, and clearly that cannot be what Elon meant. I guess this is where things really went off the rails in that presentation. He just started babbling incoherently as far as I can tell.

I feel like he must have been talking about a different type of feature-complete self-driving than the feature-complete promised by the end of 2019. Or he forgot what feature-complete meant, or...something.

In any case, "Level 5 feature complete no geofence by end of 2019" is so wildly inconsistent with anything else promised in the timeline (which are already fantastical goals), that I just dismiss it as an unmitigated nonsense promise, which we can completely discount.

Sometimes you just have to give someone a pass on their promises, when they are completely inconsistent with their other promises. This is one of those times.

Yeah, I guess I have seen that before. Every time I read that transcript I just discard that particular claim as bad data (does not compute), so I don't remember it. I'm sure I'll be asking this same question again in a couple weeks.

It's clearly not going to happen, and clearly that cannot be what Elon meant. I guess this is where things really went off the rails in that presentation. He just started babbling incoherently as far as I can tell.

I feel like he must have been talking about a different type of feature-complete self-driving than the feature-complete promised by the end of 2019. Or he forgot what feature-complete meant, or...something.

In any case, "Level 5 feature complete no geofence by end of 2019" is so wildly inconsistent with anything else promised in the timeline (which are already fantastical goals), that I just dismiss it as an unmitigated nonsense promise, which we can completely discount.

Sometimes you just have to give someone a pass on their promises, when they are completely inconsistent with their other promises. This is one of those times.
I disagree. Having level 5, no geofence, feature complete FSD by the end of this year would absolutely be necessary to achieve actual robotaxis by the end of next year. Note that he didn't say anything that would be inconsistent with it still being beta software this year.
It's all consistent and completely crazy.

”Just so that we understand the definitions, when you refer to feature complete self-driving it sounds like you are talking Level 5 no geofence? Is that whats expected by the end of the year? Just so...

Musk: ”Yes.”

Yeah, I think the only way to understand this is in this context: Elon is clearly referring to feature-complete self-driving (a level 2 system) by the end of the year, which long term of course he hopes will be level 5 no geofence. So, when someone asks him whether he means the product will be level 5 no geofence, he says yes, meaning ultimately it will be level 5 no geofence.

There's really no other way to comprehend this.

It's obviously an incorrect answer (some might call it a lie, but let's be charitable), but it's the only way to make sense of his answer as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
”Just so that we understand the definitions, when you refer to feature complete self-driving it sounds like you are talking Level 5 no geofence? Is that whats expected by the end of the year? Just so...”

Yeah, I think the only way to understand this is in this context: Elon is clearly referring to feature-complete self-driving (a level 2 system) by the end of the year, which long term of course he hopes will be level 5 no geofence. So, when someone asks him whether he means the product will be level 5 no geofence, he says yes, meaning ultimately it will be level 5 no geofence.

There's really no other way to comprehend this.

It's obviously an incorrect answer (some might call it a lie, but let's be charitable), but it's the only way to make sense of his answer as far as I can tell.
A beta level 5 system is indistinguishable from a level 2 system. I think describing feature complete FSD as beta SAE level 5 is accurate. Just like Waymo, Cruise, et al. are operating beta SAE Level 4 systems even though they still have a driver responsible for monitoring the operation of the vehicle.

A beta level 5 system is indistinguishable from a level 2 system. I think describing feature complete FSD as beta SAE level 5 is accurate. Just like Waymo, Cruise, et al. are operating beta SAE Level 4 systems.

Fair enough, though I think that is kind of silly to call it "beta Level 5." Anyway, so we can modify @electronblue's outline of the roadmap as follows:

Bold Tesla Roadmap:

- Level 5 feature-complete, no geofence, by end of 2019. (Beta, so actually Level 2)
- Ready for sleeping by end of 2020 (not regulatory approved everywhere).
- Tesla robotaxis operational somewhere by end of 2020 (with regulatory approval).

Agreed?

That would make more sense. All quite impossible of course, but I think that's relatively self-consistent.

Fair enough, though I think that is kind of silly to call it "beta Level 5." Anyway, so we can modify @electronblue's outline of the roadmap as follows:

Bold Tesla Roadmap:

- Level 5 feature-complete, no geofence, by end of 2019. (Beta, so actually Level 2)
- Ready for sleeping by end of 2020 (not regulatory approved everywhere).
- Tesla robotaxis operational somewhere by end of 2020 (with regulatory approval).

Agreed?

That would make more sense.

According to SAE, a beta Level 5 with safety driver is still Level 5. Design-intent matters.

All quite impossible of course

Of course.

Reactions: diplomat33
According to SAE, a beta Level 5 with safety driver is still Level 5. Design-intent matters.

I see. Well, I can see that subtlety being lost in the fervor of the Autonomy Day proselytizing.

Probably he just meant Level 2 then. Of course, they're not going to call it Level 5 beta. That would bring out the regulators, like ants at a picnic!

• Disagree
Reactions: Daniel in SD
@Daniel in SD why the disagree? I guess you think maybe they're going to do feature-complete FSD beta level 5 with safety drivers, but not released to the masses, by end of this year? I could see that too. (Also impossible of course.) Safer though.
I think he meant that they would be testing a feature complete level 5 system by the end of the year. No reasonable person could watch the autonomy day presentation and get the impression that Tesla's design intent is anything other than making an autonomous vehicle.

I think he meant that they would be testing a feature complete level 5 system by the end of the year. No reasonable person could watch the autonomy day presentation and get the impression that Tesla's design intent is anything other than making an autonomous vehicle.

When you buy the car it's saying "coming this year," that strongly implies that it will come to end users.

I think he meant that they would be testing a feature complete level 5 system by the end of the year

But I would agree with that - I think that's probably what he meant - but that's why I said it would be level 2, because it would be clearly totally incapable of actual Level 5 operation by end of this year (notwithstanding the subtleties of design intent, which would mean it would actually be classified as a Level 5 beta system)! But I don't think that's what would be rolling out to people. Nor do I think any of this is going to happen by the end of this year.

In the end, I'm just trying to capture what Elon was claiming the level of capability was expected to be by the end of this year - forget about the definitions for a second. My view is that he was claiming that they'd be feature-complete with an FSD system which might be on a trajectory to be actually autonomous, but would definitely not be truly autonomous, by the end of this year. That's what he meant by "level 5 feature-complete no geofence" - I do understand it's difficult to reconcile and a bit subtle, but I think that's what he meant - he wants to have all the features in place to begin the march (by the end of 2019), towards a reliability level which results in true autonomy (which will happen after 2019 "sometime") . I agree that their ultimate intent is to be producing truly autonomous vehicles.

And to repeat, even with my parsing of Elon's claim, I don't think it will happen by the end of 2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: diplomat33
But I would agree with that - I think that's probably what he meant - but that's why I said it would be level 2, because it would be clearly totally incapable of actual Level 5 operation by end of this year (notwithstanding the subtleties of design intent, which would mean it would actually be classified as a Level 5 beta system)! But I don't think that's what would be rolling out to people. Nor do I think any of this is going to happen by the end of this year.

In the end, I'm just trying to capture what Elon was claiming the level of capability was expected to be by the end of this year - forget about the definitions for a second. My view is that he was claiming that they'd be feature-complete with an FSD system which might be on a trajectory to be actually autonomous, but would definitely not be truly autonomous, by the end of this year. That's what he meant by "level 5 feature-complete no geofence" - I do understand it's difficult to reconcile and a bit subtle, but I think that's what he meant - he wants to have all the features in place to begin the march (by the end of 2019), towards a reliability level which results in true autonomy (which will happen after 2019 "sometime") . I agree that their ultimate intent is to be producing truly autonomous vehicles.

And to repeat, even with my parsing of Elon's claim, I don't think it will happen by the end 2019.
No one, including Elon, is claiming that it will be out of beta by the end of the year. The goal is to be testing/verifying/perfecting/whatever a "feature complete" SAE Level 5 system just like he said. Elon was claiming that it will be capable of Level 5 operation by the end of the year in exactly the same way that Waymo and Cruise claim that they are capable of Level 4 operation, with a safety driver.

Let me try to keep it simple:

1) "L5 feature complete no geofence" means all the primary features are coded for beta highway and city street self-driving with no geofencing. Tesla obviously has an internal list of features that they want to implement for FSD and Elon expects that the dev team will finish all those features at a beta level by end of 2019. "L5 feature complete no geofencing" will be beta, ie it will require driver supervision.

2) After feature complete, Elon expects that over the next year or so (end of 2020) that the dev team will be able to add any secondary features and improve the reliability such that FSD will no longer require driver supervision in certain areas. At that point, Elon expects that Tesla will be able to start deploying some cars as robotaxis in those areas.