Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Hyundai will be launching "L3 highway" on the Genesis G90 and Kia EV9. It will work up to 80 km/hr (50 mph) and be capable of auto lane changes:

The Genesis G90 and the Kia EV9, which will be released in April at the earliest, will be loaded with the Highway Driving Pilot (HDP) function, a Level 3 autonomous driving technology, Hyundai Motor Group said on March 14.
The HDP function is a technology that corresponds to Level 3 of the five levels of autonomous driving classified by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). A Level 3 car can run on its own at a speed of up to 80 kph on car-only roads such as highways. Hyundai Motor Group initially tried to release the G90 in the fourth quarter of 2022, but delayed the release to the first half of this year by increasing the speed of HDP application from 60 to 80 kph.
Hyundai Motor Group added a LIDAR sensor to the front grill for HDP operation of the 2023 G90. HDP works in connection with LIDAR, rear, side, and front cameras and front and side radar.
Level 3 autonomous driving allows a car to change lanes on its own as it navigates to its destination and allows its driver to take hands off the steering wheel. Drivers can do other things while driving, such as crossing their arms or looking at their phones, during Level 3 autonomous driving.

Source: Hyundai Motor Group to Launch Genesis G90, Kia EV9 Powered by Level 3 Autonomous Driving Technology in April

Only in California would that be considered "moderate to heavy" rain.

The wipers are on intermittent going like 4 seconds between wipes.

As someone who has been quite critical of Teslas system to not operate super well (or at all at the far end of it) in actual moderate to heavy rain-
LOL as the kids say.

I've maintained this is very possible if the AVs are cheaper per mile than car ownership. Long distance road trips could be solved with car rentals.

Average mileage, by typical leases, is 12k miles per year. That's 33 miles per day. Assuming average car payment is $620 a month (averaging new and used averages), which works out to about $20/day. Not even taking insurance into account, that's about $1.65/mile.

As long as AVs can keep rates significantly below $1.65/mile, and wait times low enough to not be inconvenient, I think a good percentage of people in urban and dense suburban areas would switch.

At 50 mph it won’t need auto lane changes because it won’t be passing anybody.
But it may be programmed to be constantly dissatisfied with its current lane in the traffic jam, thus needing to jump back and forth... then auto lane change will get plenty of exercise.

Based on my experience, this is clearly an area where Tesla FSD 10.69 is leading the industry :))

Average mileage, by typical leases, is 12k miles per year. That's 33 miles per day. Assuming average car payment is $620 a month (averaging new and used averages), which works out to about $20/day. Not even taking insurance into account, that's about $1.65/mile.
33 miles for $20 is 60.6 cents/mile. That's close to the all-in cost (lease + insurance + fuel + maintenance) of a Model 3 or less expensive ICE.

Robotaxis charge ~$2/mile today and lose money hand over fist. Sub-$1 pricing is many years away, much less 60 cents. The target market today is dense urban where people tend to drive a lot fewer miles (San Francisco is 7 miles across, 10 miles round trip is a long commute) and pay a lot for parking. $300/month "home" parking plus $200/month destination parking (office, restaurants, shopping, etc.) is already $1/mile for a 500 mile/month driver.

The math for a suburban commuter is much tougher. Some Robofans talk up pooling, but that's speculation bordering on fantasy.

;What about people who travel back and fourth between Suburbs and Rural areas to Urban areas? I fly into the Airport but live 40 minutes away will the Robotaxi pick me up at 1 am and take me home? How long will it take Robotaxis to offer service to the entire San Francisco metro area to include San Jose and Oakland? Will Robotaxis be a lot cheaper than owning a car? No one knows that right now. What if your car is paid for? Or you have a 15 to 30 mile commute. These companies pull their cars off the road in moderate and heavy Rain. Snowing no Robotaxi. If these companies want people to give up their cars then these vehicles need to go where people want and need to go and be able to operate in any Weather a Human would drive in.

Last edited:
;What about people who travel back and fourth between Suburbs and Rural areas to Urban areas? I fly into the Airport but live an hour away will the Robotaxi pick me up at 1 am and take me home? How long will it take Robotaxis to offer service to the entire San Francisco metro area to include San Jose and Oakland? Will Robotaxis be a lot cheaper than owning a car? No one knows that right now. What if your car is paid for? Or you have a 15 to 30 mile commute. These companies pull their cars off the road in moderate and heavy Rain. Snowing no Robotaxi. If these companies want people to give up their cars then these vehicles need to go where people want and need to go. Be able to operate in any Weather a Human would drive in.

Waymo and Cruise now operate driverless in moderate rain. Eventually they will be driverless in heavy rain and snow too.

Yes, robotaxis will need to expand to entire cities, 24/7, all weather and be cheaper than owning a car, to truly replace personal cars. We are still in the early days of robotaxis. They are not close to doing that yet. But it will happen. We are making a lot of progress with robotaxis. But nobody is suggesting that robotaxis will replace personal cars tomorrow. Frankly, I don't believe that personal car ownership will ever go away completely. But I do think personal car ownership will become much less common as robotaxis scale, and get better and cheaper.

Reactions: GSP
People don't like to share rides with strangers. 75% of Uber rides are one passenger trips. The majority of Waymo trips that are on video are one person. rides. Cruise Origin can seat 6 people. I am going to assume that Cruise Origin will be on dedicated routes like Buses. Who wants to ride in a vehicle that goes a couple of miles out of the way to pickup 4 or 5 more passengers?

People don't like to share rides with strangers. 75% of Uber rides are one passenger trips. The majority of Waymo trips that are on video are one person. rides. Cruise Origin can seat 6 people. I am going to assume that Cruise Origin will be on dedicated routes like Buses. Who wants to ride in a vehicle that goes a couple of miles out of the way to pickup 4 or 5 more passengers?

There are opportunities which Uber isn't in a good position to tackle simply because they don't capture many trips made by 8 to 16 year olds (kids alone in car with an unknown driver is scary to many parents); and these trips frequently involve being at a common place at a common time with their peers (sports practice/games, band/scouts/clubs, school, etc.). Parents will almost certainly stop being a chauffeur to the kids in their neighbourhood (many already trade-off carpools to kid events) and let Waymo pick it up, especially if the passenger cannot change the destination.

Once they start competing for growth (long after basic taxi enthusiasm has passed), I expect recurring kid trips to be viewed as a very important market for the same reason banks pay close attention to 18 year olds. Capture a 12 year old customer and you'll likely have them as a customer for decades.

Last edited:
I've maintained this is very possible if the AVs are cheaper per mile than car ownership. Long distance road trips could be solved with car rentals.

As long as AVs can keep rates significantly below $1.65/mile, and wait times low enough to not be inconvenient, I think a good percentage of people in urban and dense suburban areas would switch.
I think If it is mileage only the dense metro area s could go AVs. You have lots of issues once family life gets in the way. Car seats soccer balls, hockey sticks that all live in the car. 4 errands on the way home. Can you have the robotaxi wait?