Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Self driving vehicles must also have situational awareness. Examples A storm takes out power traffic lights are out. Will the vehicle know to treat the intersection as a 4 way stop. You just got off work it's 1 am and an Uber has picked you up. The car stops at a light and gets hit by a human driven car. The people in the other car know that if you tap the self driving car it will think it was in an accident and stay put.. The Criminals with Guns get out and Jack Your Ass. They can't take the car so they rob you.. Humans can usually sense something is about to go sideways and do something about it. These examples happen These vehicles need to make decisions on the fly and adjust accordingly to the current situation they are in

Reactions: DanCar
Examples A storm takes out power traffic lights are out. Will the vehicle know to treat the intersection as a 4 way stop.

In Michigan that becomes an uncontrolled intersection, yeild to vehicles in your way or to vehicle on your right.
Many situations condense to the same rule: don't run into things.
Traffic signal out? It's not a four-way stop

In Michigan that becomes an uncontrolled intersection, yeild to vehicles in your way or to vehicle on your right.
Many situations condense to the same rule: don't run into things.
Traffic signal out? It's not a four-way stop
That’s really interesting. In PA, it becomes a four-way stop:
https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL Manuals/Manuals/PA Drivers Manual By Chapter/English/chapter_2.pdf

But I also agree that when it comes to AVs, there may be annoyances and inconveniences (especially early on) but as long as you can avoid hitting things and stop safely, you’re going to be safe.

Edit: FYI, Michigan actually changed the law after your link, and now it’s to be treated like a four-way stop again:
Whiplash - Michigan Changes Law on What to Do at Broken Traffic Lights

That’s really interesting. In PA, it becomes a four-way stop:
https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL Manuals/Manuals/PA Drivers Manual By Chapter/English/chapter_2.pdf

But I also agree that when it comes to AVs, there may be annoyances and inconveniences (especially early on) but as long as you can avoid hitting things and stop safely, you’re going to be safe.

Edit: FYI, Michigan actually changed the law after your link, and now it’s to be treated like a four-way stop again:
Whiplash - Michigan Changes Law on What to Do at Broken Traffic Lights

Whoa, thanks for the update. Guess I broke the law last month.
The huge problem with treating it as a four way is that, when it is night and all the power is out, you need to already know where the intersections are. I had that happen a long time ago driving from the undeveloped area where there were no lights anyway into the more developed area. Was thinking to myself, "huh, something doesn't seem right. Oh crap! Intersection!"

While I'm ranting, what really annoys me is people who do not realize that more than one person can safety traverse a four way stop at once. If you are both going straight, go. Heck, you could have your cars turn right (in right side of the road countries) simultaneously without trading paint.
There is a Y south of Ann Arbor that backs up even though 50% of traffic does not conflict. Guess it will end up as a roundabout soon.

Thanks for posting these! Like Tesla, them choosing to speed up the video helps to mask some of the quirks that can still be detected if you look closely. For instance, many streets in SF lack a center line, so the car is likely using the parked cars on the right for positioning, but when you watch it slowed down, you can see it continually hunting left and right (aka ping ponging).

They’re obviously performing well in this very tricky environment (making turns across railroad tracks) so I’d be curious to see how it performs from my driveway in suburban PA to school or the grocery store - is it 99.9% perfect or does it expose some more challenges that haven’t yet been addressed?

Dying to see how early NoA performs on surface streets for comparison.

Thanks for posting these! Like Tesla, them choosing to speed up the video helps to mask some of the quirks that can still be detected if you look closely. For instance, many streets in SF lack a center line, so the car is likely using the parked cars on the right for positioning, but when you watch it slowed down, you can see it continually hunting left and right (aka ping ponging).

Cruise, like everybody pursuing L4 other than Tesla, does not use lane lines to figure out where the lanes are. It uses 3-D maps and localization -- if you have a very precise map, and you know where you are on that map with some precision, you do not need lane lines to know where the lane is. It may be ping-ponging for some reason, but it has nothing to do with lane lines.

Like Tesla, them choosing to speed up the video helps to mask some of the quirks that can still be detected if you look closely.

The first video isn't sped up. It says 30 minutes of autonomous driving, and the video length is 30min. The second video is sped up.

In any case I agree with you in that speeding up the video does mask quirks, and I don't even bothering watching those,.

The first video isn't sped up. It says 30 minutes of autonomous driving, and the video length is 30min. The second video is sped up.

In any case I agree with you in that speeding up the video does mask quirks, and I don't even bothering watching those,.
Actually the first video seems like it has a super wonky framerate and may even be slowed down, but even still, lane wandering / route hunting is still very evident. Again, my Tesla does this too, so I'm not claiming it's better than Cruise, but I would've hoped that these sorts of things would've been further along by now.

I also LOL at ~20:40 on the first video, they damned near drove into the side of that BMW SUV. I agree it's a tricky/horribly designed intersection, but if I were that BMW driver, I'd be freaking out seeing an AV coming at me like that. It backed off on the accelerator as it clearly detected it, but I have a hard time believing that was "by design" and rather more of a pucker moment.

I also LOL at ~20:40 on the first video, they damned near drove into the side of that BMW SUV. I agree it's a tricky/horribly designed intersection, but if I were that BMW driver, I'd be freaking out seeing an AV coming at me like that. It backed off on the accelerator as it clearly detected it, but I have a hard time believing that was "by design" and rather more of a pucker moment.

I agree it is a poorly designed intersection. I think the Cruise car followed its programming well. It stopped at the stop sign, then the sensors saw that the path was clear so it started moving, but when it saw the BMW in its path, it slowed down and turned behind the BMW into the lane. The driving policy could be tweaked to wait a bit longer to better anticipate cars that are going to be in its path but otherwise, all things considered, it handled the intersection safely and pretty well IMO.

I agree it is a poorly designed intersection. I think the Cruise car followed its programming well. It stopped at the stop sign, then the sensors saw that the path was clear so it started moving, but when it saw the BMW in its path, it slowed down and turned behind the BMW into the lane. The driving policy could be tweaked to wait a bit longer to better anticipate cars that are going to be in its path but otherwise, all things considered, it handled the intersection safely and pretty well IMO.
The Cruise vehicle had the right of way! It probably just followed the letter of the law and waited until the intersection was clear before entering (is that the law?). The BMW driver probably saw that it was an autonomous vehicle and decided to bully it. I would do the same thing since the Cruise vehicle was pretty slow entering the intersection and who really cares about cutting off a machine. :p
Also, if I was driving the Cruise vehicle I would have probably done the same thing though I would have done a California stop so I'd be ahead of the BMW.

As I mentioned in another thread about Cruise Automation's hyped announcement, The Cruise Origin Story says
At this very moment, we’re running fleets of our third-generation vehicles on the roads of San Francisco, operating a rideshare service that any Cruise employee can use, 24/7. Last year alone, we accumulated nearly a million miles as we autonomously drove nearly every road in San Francisco.

They also never test in frigid cold weather To map every single road, parking lot, drive through.driveway Will take decades if ever. Mapping every county town and city will take a very long time. These cars will have to cross the Canadian border as well as Mexican border. and Alaska. Can these cars navigate without maps or cell signals. Remote operators is laughable.

They also never test in frigid cold weather To map every single road, parking lot, drive through.driveway Will take decades if ever. Mapping every county town and city will take a very long time. These cars will have to cross the Canadian border as well as Mexican border. and Alaska. Can these cars navigate without maps or cell signals. Remote operators is laughable.
My commute to work doesn't involve any of those things so it sounds like it will work for me. :p