Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We can already see though that Waymo's advantage of additional sensors and high-definition maps is questionable.

I draw the opposite conclusion. Imagine how much confidence that Waymo - an extremely cautious and conservative company (perhaps too much so) - must have to let their cars go out and about with real passengers and without a backup driver.

Now look at Tesla. They won't even let you be a _backup driver_ of their system, much less a passenger, unless you pass a test that excludes practically all of their customer base. The fact is that these cars will kill people if they aren't operated by a diligent driver. Elon knows this. Everyone knows this. The evidence is abundant.

The systems aren't comparable until if/when Teslas become driverless. Teslas can execute much more risky moves that might give it the appearance of assertiveness, making videos like this give the false impression that FSD occupies the same playing field as Waymo and others.

In addition, this one test drive isn't showcasing all of the things that Waymos don't do - yet Teslas still can't avoid: such as crossing intersections into the wrong lane.

The fact is that the removal of the driver is an absolutely massive difference when we compare the capabilities of two systems.

Will Tesla get there? I personally don't think that their current approach will lead to a driverless system. But hey I could be wrong. At the very least, _today_, the "advantages of additional sensors and high-definition maps" isn't questionable to anybody who understands the implications of these vehicles not having drivers.

In addition, this one test drive isn't showcasing all of the things that Waymos don't do - yet Teslas still can't avoid: such as crossing intersections into the wrong lane.
Don't draw too many conclusions from just one single case. Perhaps the next version already fixes this. It's a beta test after all.

I don't see great advantages in Lidar and Radar, because obviously most cars function without them and need only two eyes. But I could imagine that HD mapping has certain advantages. However, Tesla could create more precise maps or just some other local hints for the few difficult crossings while leaving all other areas to normal FSD.

- 5 years since Tesla started inhouse AP
It's been 5 years since "The driver is only there for legal reasons" video. I was assured by countless Tesla fans at the time that the video proved FSD was "almost done" thanks to years of inhouse development.
A baby born when Google AV project started would be legally driving everywhere in US in 3 years ;)
Except New Jersey. Contrast with South Dakota where a 14.5 year old can get a license!

Waymo blog today talks about fog and shows an interesting short clip of their imaging radar. Brad Templeton's article shows the same clip and gives a lot more background.

Waymo blog today talks about fog and shows an interesting short clip of their imaging radar. Brad Templeton's article shows the same clip and gives a lot more background.
Its definitely going to be interesting to see how this progresses.

If FSD Beta can get to be good enough for general release it would be a confirmation that Elon's idea works. Otherwise, it would confirm Waymo was right.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I've been seeing a number of white completely unmarked Buicks with a massive sensor set in Silicon Valley. I'm usually going the opposite way, but rolled pass one yesterday.

1637085070505.png

Reactions: Dan D.
Its definitely going to be interesting to see how this progresses.

If FSD Beta can get to be good enough for general release it would be a confirmation that Elon's idea works. Otherwise, it would confirm Waymo was right.
I was sceptical at first but I've come around to Elon's idea that vision-only could work for full autonomous L4 driving. Just not with the current cameras, sensor cleaning, and computing.

Tesla may release FSD on HW3 one day but I doubt it'll ever be more than L2, can you see Tesla taking full legal responsibility for any situations? If the point is to have autonomous driving they have to have L4 at least, even L3 is fairly useless as an AV.

I feel that full autonomous driving is more likely to work better and sooner with additional sensors and free rein on computing options. Both approaches could be proven right in the end but which one will work best (and soonest) for L4+?

Reactions: idriveacar
I was sceptical at first but I've come around to Elon's idea that vision-only could work for full autonomous L4 driving. Just not with the current cameras, sensor cleaning, and computing.

Tesla may release FSD on HW3 one day but I doubt it'll ever be more than L2, can you see Tesla taking full legal responsibility for any situations? If the point is to have autonomous driving they have to have L4 at least, even L3 is fairly useless as an AV.
I'm glad - as a TSLA investor - that Tesla isn't taking legal responsibility. I expect them to continue to promote "FSD" as basically a L2+ system until such time they are sure its working at super-human accuracy. This may never happen.

I feel that full autonomous driving is more likely to work better and sooner with additional sensors and free rein on computing options. Both approaches could be proven right in the end but which one will work best (and soonest) for L4+?
But will it happen sooner in top 100 cities of US / the world ? Personally I've no great interest in systems that I can't buy for my car - I see very little benefit of Robotaxi over Uber for customers. Yes - the robotaxi company may make more money compared to Uber - but having more rich companies in the world is not an aspirational goal for me.

I don't see great advantages in Lidar and Radar, because obviously most cars function without them and need only two eyes. But I could imagine that HD mapping has certain advantages. However, Tesla could create more precise maps or just some other local hints for the few difficult crossings while leaving all other areas to normal FSD.

I have a similar train of thought. I'm very impressed by what Tesla has with vision only. It's a low resolution approximation of what you'd get with LIDAR, but it comes with the added benefits of not having to do sensor fusion, and it comes out of embarrassingly cheap consumer hardware. It's not _good_, but that wasn't ever the question... the only question is "is it good _enough_?"

Tesla understands a very important point that I feel Waymo never grasped: you can do a _lot_ with low resolution sensor data. Waymo has made fantastic strides with their sensors, and the high resolution point clouds are really impressive and powerful for offline analysis... but they just aren't necessary to drive a car.

I think Waymo lost their technological lead due to spending too much time on sensors and not enough time on prediction and planning, and now multiple robo-taxi companies are at its heels.

Regarding maps; early on while I started really digging into this technology, I didn't think maps were too important... but over time, and especially after seeing the common failures of FSD, my mind has been changed. Even FSD now requires the presence of map data that is far more detailed than typical 2d maps.

The cars should be able to handle entirely new situations that do not align with the maps - and I'm impressed with how FSD does this OK a lot of the time - but there isn't any doubt left in my mind that HD or near-HD maps are a requirement for a smooth typical experience. They help so much, and are able to be maintained pretty easily.

So yeah, driverless might not require LIDAR, but I really think it requires remote rescue and maps. Those two last points are why I don't think Tesla will get to driverless with their current approach. I've said many times, but I'm pretty sure we'll get a good consumer system with HW4 and maaaaaaaaybe HW3 (or some sort of HW3.5 retrofit), but we just aren't going to see driverless from Tesla unless they start doing the things that the other robo-taxi companies do.

I just want to drive home the point on how different driverless and non-driverless are. True robo-taxis have some embarrassing moments where they get stuck behind cones, or road closed signs, and they also appear to be a little over timid compared to FSD at moments... but even with all of those problems they are still competing at a level above FSD.

Depends. FSD will almost surely be released as a level 2 ADAS, not a driverless robo-taxi. Having a backup human driver gives them a *lot* of leeway.

Unrelated, I want to see Tesla admit this and start putting in more controls for the driver. I think it would be really cool if you could tell the car when it should or should not try to pass other cars, for instance. A lot of the poor behavior of FSD could be mitigated by this.

I doubt Elon is going to allow this though. He's very adamant that such controls are unnecessary, and including them would admit "defeat".

But will it happen sooner in top 100 cities of US / the world ? Personally I've no great interest in systems that I can't buy for my car - I see very little benefit of Robotaxi over Uber for customers. Yes - the robotaxi company may make more money compared to Uber - but having more rich companies in the world is not an aspirational goal for me.

I don't really use taxies much either, but I do believe robo-taxies are going to be huge. They could be cheaper than owning a car in a city, and will be a great public service for the elderly and intoxicated. They could also be made smaller, and take up less space on the road. I think they're the future for "public transit" with larger autonomous vehicles doing routes, maybe even cross city, and smaller vehicles doing more last mile sort of things.

Depends. FSD will almost surely be released as a level 2 ADAS, not a driverless robo-taxi. Having a backup human driver gives them a *lot* of leeway.

Not really - FSD Beta will be released to public as a L2 ADAS. That is more to do with liability than anything else.

Unrelated, I want to see Tesla admit this and start putting in more controls for the driver. I think it would be really cool if you could tell the car when it should or should not try to pass other cars, for instance. A lot of the poor behavior of FSD could be mitigated by this.

I doubt Elon is going to allow this though. He's very adamant that such controls are unnecessary, and including them would admit "defeat".
Admit ? Admit what ? I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

I don't really use taxies much either, but I do believe robo-taxies are going to be huge. They could be cheaper than owning a car in a city, and will be a great public service for the elderly and intoxicated. They could also be made smaller, and take up less space on the road. I think they're the future for "public transit" with larger autonomous vehicles doing routes, maybe even cross city, and smaller vehicles doing more last mile sort of things.
Not really - companies are only interested in this so that they can eliminate the "middle man" and make all the money themselves. They will always maximize profits - not public good.

Tesla understands a very important point that I feel Waymo never grasped: you can do a _lot_ with low resolution sensor data.

No. Waymo understands that perfectly. But Waymo is not interested in just "doing a lot" but where the car still needs driver supervision. Waymo decided only to pursue safe and reliable driverless robotaxis. That means the robotaxi has to be able to handle anything, anytime, with 99.999999% reliability. Waymo correctly understands that high res cameras, lidar and radar give you a much better chance of achieving that than low res sensors do. Yes, you can do a lot with low res sensors but you will hit a limit. High res sensors will give you better data which will help the car handle more edge cases and be even more reliable in more situations.

The fact is that Waymo tried low res sensors available off the shelf and found that they were not good enough to achieve the type of autonomous driving and safety level that they are interested in. . That's the whole reason why they decided to develop HD sensors in house.

Waymo has made fantastic strides with their sensors, and the high resolution point clouds are really impressive and powerful for offline analysis... but they just aren't necessary to drive a car.

The high res point clouds are being used in the Waymo cars for driving the car, not offline.

I think Waymo lost their technological lead due to spending too much time on sensors and not enough time on prediction and planning, and now multiple robo-taxi companies are at its heels.

If you watch the Waymo talks, they are spending a lot of time on prediction and planning. They are definitely devoting a lot of time to it.

And the HD sensors are a big reason why Waymo has such good FSD. So it was definitely not a waste of time. As Waymo says, better hardware enables better software:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bladerskb
Smart Summon was good enough for general release. What did that prove? 😂
It will definitely top Smart Summon to become the most viral feature ever, I'll give it that!

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Reactions: diplomat33
One is not like the other.

Surely, even you can figure that out ;)

ps : If city FSD Beta performs like NOA - would you say it proves Elon's point ?
They look pretty similar to me in usefulness.
No, I think it would prove that it's possible to make a self-driving car that works most of the time (which has been proven by many companies). I think it's orders of magnitude more difficult to make a self-driving car with the reliability necessary for driverless operation.

P.S.: I also don't think it will be safe once it starts going thousands of miles between disengagements.

Baidu is beating Waymo in terms of number of rides:
Baidu uses safety drivers. I believe they also run pre-selected, fixed routes.
Not really - companies are only interested in this so that they can eliminate the "middle man" and make all the money themselves. They will always maximize profits - not public good.
Bad, evil companies! Except the one eliminating auto dealer middleman, of course :)
I'm glad - as a TSLA investor - that Tesla isn't taking legal responsibility.
So much for Robofantasy, then. I found it funny when an analyst asked Musk who would be liable in case of a wreck and got a few seconds of deer-in-headlights followed by a mumbled 'Tesla, I suppose". Nothing like a fully fleshed-out business plan.

Reactions: diplomat33