Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That article is from 2019. Notes that adopting a BEV (birds-eye view) dramatically increased accuracy.
Tesla incorporated that finding in 2020, with a switch to a "Bird's eye view network".

They have further improved by AI day in 2021 by using transformers to do the image to BEV conversion:
Tesla’s arc of AI progress

As mentioned by others upthread, I think perception-wise Tesla has done a really good job already. They however have barely touched the surface for planning (I believe it is still largely hand coded). I guess we'll find out more when AI Day comes around this year.
Brilliant read. I knew they were using pixel maps and comparing with motion to arrive at at 3D world, but Lance's article was very in depth. Thanks for posting.

Mobileye is rolling out their SuperVision system.

They have released Highway Assist which is L2 hands-free on the highway to the zeekr001 in China last week. And looks like next OTA will be the full L2 hands-free "door to door":

Watch Highway Assist handle different highway scenarios:

Combined with the ability to operate at up to 130 kph (81 mph) on any road with clear lane markings – while also taking road curvature into account, and offering the latest in camera-radar fusion capabilities – this update has provided Zeekr 001 owners, overnight, with one of the most advanced highway-assist feature-sets available on the market today... and it's only the beginning.

Read more: Mobileye and Zeekr OTA Update Opens a New Chapter in Advanced Driver Assist | Mobileye Blog

Last edited:
Brilliant read. I knew they were using pixel maps and comparing with motion to arrive at at 3D world, but Lance's article was very in depth. Thanks for posting.
I thought the shown BEV pixel maps were synonymous with the "bag of coins." Didn't Telsa moved away from the "bag of coins" in FSD v10+ to direct generation of a vector space by the NNs from the stitched 8 cameras?

Last edited:
I thought the shown BEV pixel maps were synonymous with the "bag of coins." Didn't Telsa moved away from the "bag of coins" in FSD v10+ to direct generation of a vector space by the NNs from the stitched 8 cameras?
I'm a total novice in this area, so I can't speak with authority. Based on reading Lance's article you're right, that Tesla used to use a bag of points for creating the BEV, but has since started migrating to using a transformer in the NN. From Lance's article in reference to using bags of points for BEV:

Autonomous vehicles need to know the distance to obstacles in order to drive. Unlike LIDAR, cameras do not provide the distance (or “depth”) of each pixel. This is a well-studied challenge for camera-only perception. At CVPR 2020, Karpathy mentioned that Tesla used pseudo-lidar for this task: regress self-supervised depth for each image pixel, project it to a 3D psuedo-lidar point cloud, and then use any mature detector that operates on LIDAR point clouds.

At AI day, Karpathy suggested that this approach is not good enough: lane lines regressed in the images (top) look noisy when projected into birds-eye-view (BEV, at bottom) because of error in the depth estimate of each pixel.

To address this limitation, Karpathy presented a transformer that maps pixels between the camera input and BEV output, an interesting departure from convolutional architectures (CNNs). Transformers have clear appeal: they operate on sets whereas CNNs require a fixed grid (e.g., image) input and they are general architectures whereas CNNs have inductive bias baked in (e.g., we construct CNNs to generate multi-scale features across a gradually expanding receptive field). As Yannic Kilcher argues, this inductive bias may constrain performance in the large-data regime and Tesla has a lot of data.

Mobileye is rolling out their SuperVision system.

They have released Highway Assist which is L2 hands-free on the highway to the zeekr001 in China last week. And looks like next OTA will be the full L2 hands-free "door to door":

Watch Highway Assist handle different highway scenarios:

Read more: Mobileye and Zeekr OTA Update Opens a New Chapter in Advanced Driver Assist | Mobileye Blog
So this is available now?

Interesting video on the state of self-driving cars. It focuses on Cruise but it presents information about self-driving in a very easy to understand way. The main point of the video is that the focus right now is on L4 robotaxis and L4 trucks, not L5.

Here are the chapter times:

00:00 Self driving cars are finally here
02:15 Levels of self driving, explained
03:32 Where are we now on self driving cars?
05:07 Thank you Masterworks!
06:10 The big fight for the future of driverless cars
07:04 Interviewing Kyle Vogt, CEO of Cruise
08:20 Robotaxi meets world (and police)
10:00 The two near futures of self driving
11:52 The long term future of driving

Interesting video on the state of self-driving cars. It focuses on Cruise but it presents information about self-driving in a very easy to understand way. The main point of the video is that the focus right now is on L4 robotaxis and L4 trucks, not L5.

I'm excited for the future of AVs!!! What I'm nervous of is humans - we fear change. Remember the uproar when Uber disrupted the taxi industry? Robotaxis are going to disrupt taxis and gig-workers. I'd imagine the taxi companies (Yellow Cab, Checker, etc.) would start buying robotaxis and just get rid of their drivers, but you'd still be paying the cab company for your ride. Otherwise, they're done. I'm sure we'll see an uproar in the trucking industry too. Teamsters and other driver unions will no doubt lobby heavily to keep their industry afloat.

Reactions: diplomat33
I'm excited for the future of AVs!!! What I'm nervous of is humans - we fear change. Remember the uproar when Uber disrupted the taxi industry? Robotaxis are going to disrupt taxis and gig-workers. I'd imagine the taxi companies (Yellow Cab, Checker, etc.) would start buying robotaxis and just get rid of their drivers, but you'd still be paying the cab company for your ride. Otherwise, they're done. I'm sure we'll see an uproar in the trucking industry too. Teamsters and other driver unions will no doubt lobby heavily to keep their industry afloat.

Oh no doubt. It happens with every new tech. But eventually the new tech takes over.

That is also why AV companies need to do their due diligence with safety and need to be transparent with the public. The groups who are against AVs will use any accident as a reason why we should not have AVs. And lack of transparency will be used to spread mistrust of AVs. Now, we can certainly discuss how certain AV companies may not be doing very well on the safety or transparency parts but they should be important priorities nonetheless.

Reactions: JHCCAZ and Dewg
Ford pushes a software update that adds its L2 hands-free highway ADAS called "Blue Cruise" to 50,000 more vehicles:

Ford said this morning that it has pushed its BlueCruise hands-free highway driving capability to an additional 50,000 F-150 and Mustang Mach-E vehicles. The feature is now available to about 66,500.
“Nearly 15,000 2021 F-150 and Mustang Mach-E customers already completed the BlueCruise software updates with another 35,000 in process,” Ford said. “This adds to customers who bought vehicles with BlueCruise equipped at the factory, totaling about 66,500 customers enjoying hands-free highway driving.”
Ford BlueCruise is available on more than 130,000 miles of North American roads, with over 10.6 million miles driven using the capability.

• Informative
Reactions: Bitdepth

This video showed up in my suggestions a few days ago and I passed thinking it was probably junk. Today at lunch it was there again and I clicked on it to give it 2 minutes. Wow it was well done and informative.

Reactions: diplomat33