Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience so far of this (one week only) is that I went into a big Tesco's car park late afternoon. Lots of cars parked and quite a few spaces. I drove around quite slowly in the quieter part of the car park and the "P" did come up but not very often despite driving past maybe 40 spaces (each with cars either side).
I did let it park, quite frightening the first time you do it, I have to say! I kept driving around for a while wanting it to park again but where there were larger spaces it didn't want to know.
I think it's something I'm going to have to keep trying to actually know what it is capable of and what sort of spaces it will find.
So far the experience is disappointing but maybe it's user error - we'll see.

My Skoda Superb (soon to be replaced by a Model X) has brilliant auto park technology BUT it is designed, believe it or not, for small spaces. When perpendicular parking, for example, if there are 2 free space with a car either side of those spaces it parks really accurately but slap bang in the middle of the two free spaces straddling the white line! If only one space is free then even I couldn’t park it better! Similarly for parallel parking - the tighter the space the better.
Tony

I've had mixed results. There are some spots that I think are too narrow to even register, and some I've had to go past 2 or 3 times to register (including one in a busy part of town when I was trying to demo to my nephew - some onlookers seemed a bit bemused by my driving forward and reversing a few times without even trying to get I to the spot). And there was even one where it reversed past the spot I had in mind and into a much wider spot behind the car behind it even though it was clearly marked "no parking". But when it does work it is very cool. As my nephew said when I (eventually) got it working - that should *not* be happening. Also my wife refuses to try it, which is another sign it must be pretty cool:)

Autoparking in tight spaces and summoning it out is great, but it doesn’t solve the problem of other people struggling to get in their cars and banging into yours with their doors, or just banging into it anyway because they don’t care.

I’ve never risked parking any car I wanted to keep immaculate in a normal car parking space with cars on both sides, I’ll always drive around to find one that is safer even if it means walking further.

As for auto park, you’d have to be pretty brave to let it parallel park with the 20” alloys I think.

Autoparking in tight spaces and summoning it out is great, but it doesn’t solve the problem of other people struggling to get in their cars and banging into yours with their doors, or just banging into it anyway because they don’t care.

I’ve never risked parking any car I wanted to keep immaculate in a normal car parking space with cars on both sides, I’ll always drive around to find one that is safer even if it means walking further.

As for auto park, you’d have to be pretty brave to let it parallel park with the 20” alloys I think.

Having owned cars with auto parking I’d suggest you’d have to be brave to parallel park yourself with 20” alloys. The Range Rover, BMW and VAG systems I have experienced are absolutely superb and I’ve not scuffed a single wheel using them.

Agree with you on your first point - I always park at the far end of any supermarket car park.

Reactions: PrGrPa
It's a bit of a gimmick because it doesn't read white lines, so you have to have a car park that's almost full so it has cars either side before it'll work. Even then it's incredibly inconsitent - I've seen it get into a parking space I'd never have attempted myself, and drive past loads of perfect ones without recognising them.

I may be totally off base here, but it seems to pick spaces that could be difficult to get into without any assistance. It doesn't offer assistance parking in spaces that are so long (parallel parking) or wide (perpendicular parking) that no help should be needed. That is just my take on when mine seems to decide to offer up the (P) ...

I may be totally off base here, but it seems to pick spaces that could be difficult to get into without any assistance. It doesn't offer assistance parking in spaces that are so long (parallel parking) or wide (perpendicular parking) that no help should be needed. That is just my take on when mine seems to decide to offer up the (P) ...

autopark sucks. it hardly ever picks up spots for me

smart park is supposedly coming this year so hopefully that helps. whatever smart park is...

Used autopark for a parallel park for the first time today. It did the job quite well except left an already wide car a foot from the kerb. And it chose a spot which it turns out is illegal, so attracted the attention of a traffic warden.

On the plus side, said traffic warden was nice. "Are you giving me a parking ticket?" "Yes" points to sign "no parking here 9am-6pm Monday to Saturday" "oh, sorry. It's a fair cop then" "don't worry, I'm not giving you a ticket. Nice car!"

I've parked there dozens of times, in a line of spaces which is normally fairly full, without noticing the restriction...

Used autopark for a parallel park for the first time today. It did the job quite well except left an already wide car a foot from the kerb. And it chose a spot which it turns out is illegal, so attracted the attention of a traffic warden.

On the plus side, said traffic warden was nice. "Are you giving me a parking ticket?" "Yes" points to sign "no parking here 9am-6pm Monday to Saturday" "oh, sorry. It's a fair cop then" "don't worry, I'm not giving you a ticket. Nice car!"

I've parked there dozens of times, in a line of spaces which is normally fairly full, without noticing the restriction...
Nicest warden I’ve ever heard of! :D Great work :)

Nicest warden I’ve ever heard of! :D Great work :)

Utterly subjective but I have a theory that there's something very different to people's reactions to EVs. I've bought a very expensive "flash" car yet I've noticed almost no negative feeling or comment (I've never had a flash car before so maybe I'd never have noticed a negative then either but hey ho), just interest and smiles. Chap I vaguely know saw me turn up today and he just muttered "I love that car" as he turned away.

This excludes A-holes driving up my rear in their Audis* trying to prove some point but plus ca change.

Anyway, tempers a little bit my pessimism re how I think others consider our environment.

*other brands are available (occasionally)

Reactions: Cogarch and TM3PTN
I saw the P ark icon for first time yesterday. We were in a gridlocked car park, nose to tail that took 20-30 minutes to get out from. There is a time and place to try auto park, but that was not it! I could imagine the chaos of it trying to reverse back up a queue of traffic with everyone trying to squeeze past.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.