Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot 2.0 on Confirmed Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From reading the Model X forum how AP is being handled. If you paid for AP you will get AP version 1 on the new hardware assuming our Model Xs have not been made yet.

AP version 2 costs extra. AP 2 is not on the HK website because either regulatory approval has not occurred yet or they have not updated the HK website.

Last edited:
Reactions: markwj
I confirmed my Model X order about a week ago and I just checked my Design Spec it says I have AutoPilot Hardware 1.

Anyone else seeing the same?

Hong Kong has very strict regulation of vehicle distributors; both regarding the vehicles themselves (Transport Department type approval) and the way that they are sold (customs department, mostly regarding first registration tax and associated pricing). In particular, all new and changed vehicle price lists need to go to customs for approval before being adopted, and that process typically takes about two weeks. Legally, they can't even talk about it until approval. We can't know for sure, but:
  1. Elon said ALL cars.
  2. The mobileye partnership is dead.
  3. It would be hard for Tesla to keep AP1 just for Hong Kong.
  4. We've seen this before (a week or two delay for HK website to be updated after US news release).
Given what we know, I wouldn't panic. Just wait a week or two and see what happens. I've got an X about to enter production, and am not at all worried.

Regarding Auto-Pilot in general, here is how I understand it:

I think there are now four option packages:
  1. Basic Autopilot package (Autopilot safety features)
  2. Autopilot convenience features package
  3. Enhanced Autopilot package
  4. Full autonomy package
AP 1.0 offers 1 and 2.
AP 2.0 offers 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Some features in 1 and 2 won't be available to AP 2.0 owners until later this year. Features in packages 3 and 4 will be at some future unspecified date.

I guess that means no new features to be added to package 1 or 2 in future.

Tesla HK website never get updated. They have no clue

Harsh, given the regulatory issues here. See here:

什麼是公佈零售價? - 汽車首次登記稅系統
According to the Motor Vehicles (First Registration Tax) Ordinance (Cap. 330), a registered distributor shall, before offering a motor vehicle for sale for use in Hong Kong, submit the PRP to the Customs for assessment and approval. Having obtained the approved PRP, the registered distributor shall publish the PRP in writing; for example, displaying the PRP next to the vehicle. The registered distributor shall not sell that vehicle at a price higher than the approved PRP cum the related FRT.

and here:

http://www.customs.gov.hk/en/trade_facilitation/vehicles/commercial/price/
Registered distributors are required to:

I would speculate that this issue is causing headaches for Customs. Longer term, they won't be happy with Tesla (or any other manufacturer) shipping in cars with all the hardware for free, and then selling customers such valuable, optional over the air upgrades following the First Registration of the car, at which time the tax wouldn't be collectible. This may not cost Customs any revenue today given the FRT waiver, but they will be wary of establishing a precedent as it may become an issue in the very near future. In my head I imagine rooms full of bureaucrats in meetings scratching their heads and wondering how to deal with this.

I would speculate that this issue is causing headaches for Customs. Longer term, they won't be happy with Tesla (or any other manufacturer) shipping in cars with all the hardware for free, and then selling customers such valuable, optional over the air upgrades following the First Registration of the car, at which time the tax wouldn't be collectible. This may not cost Customs any revenue today given the FRT waiver, but they will be wary of establishing a precedent as it may become an issue in the very near future. In my head I imagine rooms full of bureaucrats in meetings scratching their heads and wondering how to deal with this.

Yes. This. If I was them, I would worry more about big items like unlocking battery upgrades.

Note, though, that FRT is still collectible on any accessories installed within the first six months of registration. But, then the onus is on the owner to report (not the distributor).

1. Elon said ALL cars.
  2. The mobileye partnership is dead.
  3. It would be hard for Tesla to keep AP1 just for Hong Kong.
  4. We've seen this before (a week or two delay for HK website to be updated after US news release
AP1 on the new hardware will be what we get unless we upgrade to AP2. That's what is occurring in the US and what I heard from my delivery rep.

Tesla will likely need to get approval for AP 2 before it is made available in Hong Kong. If I need to pay 30k total I am okay with that to get AP2, however if Tesla trys to tack on an extra 10k for a total of 40k I will stick with AP1

AP1 on the new hardware will be what we get unless we upgrade to AP2. That's what is occurring in the US and what I heard from my delivery rep.

Tesla will likely need to get approval for AP 2 before it is made available in Hong Kong. If I need to pay 30k total I am okay with that to get AP2, however if Tesla trys to tack on an extra 10k for a total of 40k I will stick with AP1

Really not sure what you mean here. When you say AP1 on the hardware, I thought AP1 was the old hardware and AP2 is the new?

From what I understand, there are now four option packages:
  4. Full autonomy package
AP 1.0 offers 1 and 2.

From what is being said elsewhere on this forum, people who ordered cars up until the announcement were expecting to get AP 1.0 and feature package 2. Those people will now be getting AP 2.0 and feature package 2 (better hardware, same features). They will be given the option of upgrading to feature packages 3 and 4 by paying the difference.

I can't see how this is any different than taking your car back to the dealership to get updated maps for your GPS.
The only ones who are going to make a fuss about this are the traditional ICE dealers and manufactures.
Even insurance adjusters aren't going to make a big deal out of this as policy rules will dictate what is and is not covered.

Really not sure what you mean here. When you say AP1 on the hardware, I thought AP1 was the old hardware and AP2 is the new?

From what I understand, there are now four option packages:
  4. Full autonomy package
AP 1.0 offers 1 and 2.

From what is being said elsewhere on this forum, people who ordered cars up until the announcement were expecting to get AP 1.0 and feature package 2. Those people will now be getting AP 2.0 and feature package 2 (better hardware, same features). They will be given the option of upgrading to feature packages 3 and 4 by paying the difference.

I don't want to get caught up in the terminology too much but our functionally will only be 1 and 2 per your statement and we will have to pay for 3 and 4 despite having the better hardware.

What if the dealer charged HK$1 for the GPS unit on delivery, but barely functional. Then, six months after delivery activated it for HK$30,000 tax free? That is what they worry about.

If one were to never opt for AP before delivery, it will would only ever stay zero dollars and not even appear on the delivery invoice because the hardware was just part of the car. (Now TD might make a play for how it is not "integral" to the car's function and hence shouldn't be installed if never ordered/ paid for but we could say the same about emblems or decals)

After purchase modifications fall on the onus of the consumer to go and make required amendments/ modifications to the car via dealer or 3rd party (as a service rendered). Charging these as a service would make more sense.

I realize the dollar amounts at delivery are very different to the end consumer, but in terms of trade of the finished good/ declared value of goods for import we would need to what current policy dictates.

I don't want to get caught up in the terminology too much but our functionally will only be 1 and 2 per your statement and we will have to pay for 3 and 4 despite having the better hardware.

"Mobile Eye" chips (hardware 1) is a temporarily solution from the first beginning. It is far from capable if we are talking about the realistic quality of the Features Package 1&2 it offered.

It is so sad for the old owner including me, whereas chance for this discontinued Mobile Eye to be further perfect from Tesla is less due to its hardware limitation.

I knew ALL (99% confidence only) new cars are coming out with hardware 2 so chance to perfect the functions in Features Package 1&2 are unlimited due to the new super computing and deep learning. We also have a chance later to opt for Features 3 if TD gays have learned how to drive a car!

IMO, Tesla will limited the Features Package 3&4 's output rather than limiting some of the cameras and sensors input!

I received replies from both inside sales as well as my assigned "delivery contact". They told me that my X will come with the new AP hardware but will need software upgrade (which I will need to pay for) when the enhanced autopilot is available in Hong Kong after regulatory approval.

Can someone verify this?