Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lease on my Focus Electric is up on August 15th. At that point I will have no vehicle. I could maybe get by for a couple of weeks borrowing a car from my parents for a couple days a week and getting by with walking to work & everywhere else during the workweek, but I couldn't do that for months.

Here's your solution as a stop gap - sell it for what you paid a few months later:

Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 6.01.18 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Just because your lease is up - why does that mean you are on foot? Just buy out the residual value - its designed to be a fair market price. Keep driving your old familiar sled. Who would know its value any better? I expect you would be a shoe in for a loan from the leasing company.

My lease on my Focus Electric is up on August 15th. At that point I will have no vehicle. I could maybe get by for a couple of weeks borrowing a car from my parents for a couple days a week and getting by with walking to work & everywhere else during the workweek, but I couldn't do that for months. I ordered my Model S last week & have a couple more days to make changes. I am debating asking for a January delivery, or just canceling my order right now while I can get a full refund of my deposit & waiting to see what happens. If I get a Model S and then AP 2.0 hardware starts being installed within the 6 months after I bought my car then I will be very upset. Spending this kind of money on a car is a once in a lifetime purchase for me, and not something that I can afford to repeat. My enjoyment of the car will be lost if I just barely miss out on AP 2.0.

Another option I have considered is keeping my current order (because I got the $1000 referral discount) and then just asking them to delay delivery until January 2017. Then the car should be built in mid-December 2016 and hopefully have the new hardware. But, I would be extra upset if I delay my delivery a few months & then still end up with no new hardware.

I wish we had a date scheduled for the upcoming event. If we knew a date then we could be fairly confident that the hardware would be built into cars starting prior to that date, like what happened with AP 1.0. It's making me really nervous...
I think it should be EOY.. In my case it's easier than for you though cuz work is a 5 min walk.. We can survive on one car. From a financial perspective it makes a lot of sense to go ICE until the 3 honestly

I do not interpret that Elon tweet you quoted as having any relation to the major announcement/event that Elon mysteriously referred to during his interview at the Recode conference earlier this year. In the tweet you quote, Elon is simply saying that there will be a major AP software release in the near future. Since it has been some time since major changes to AP, this is no surprise.

Reactions: hybridbear
No, Elon is on record as saying that before they end of this year Tesla will have an announcement and that it will be, quote, "The obvious thing."

If you can find a reliable source saying differently, please post it.

Yes, and he made that statement with respect to autopilot. I don't know if you were replying to me, but clearly one can infer from his exchange at Recode that there will be a year-end announcement about autopilot and that it'll relate to upgrades to autopilot capabilities.