Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 M3 SR+ just got updated to version 2021.32.21. AP used to accelerate aggressively when traffic starts moving. In version 2021.32.21, it is subtler than before. Has anyone experience this? Is there any setting to manage the AP acceleration in M3?

I have been feeling that TACC speed management is becoming consistently more subtle through several recent software updates. That said, both acceleration and braking are still too delayed and too aggressive in stop-and-go traffic. I find that temporarily reducing following distance to 1 definitely helps. Too bad the car doesn't use brake lights as a cue of what's happening ahead. Hopefully Tesla will continue to make progress in making their automation behave more like a human driver to improve passenger comfort and confidence.

Yes I've also noticed with the update that acceleration is much too subtle, some times leaving 5 or 6 car lengths while accelerating slowly. I usually help it along with the accelerator. I do feel in bumper to bumper traffic that it's more responsive, just the acceleration is painfully slow.

Yes I've also noticed with the update that acceleration is much too subtle, some times leaving 5 or 6 car lengths while accelerating slowly. I usually help it along with the accelerator. I do feel in bumper to bumper traffic that it's more responsive, just the acceleration is painfully slow.
Agreed, A few updates back I started to feel that it wasn't trying so hard to maintain a precise distance to the car ahead but recently it does seem to let the gap increase substantially. Strangely for automation though, it seems to be inconsistent in the way it behaves when the leading car moves further away.

Agreed, A few updates back I started to feel that it wasn't trying so hard to maintain a precise distance to the car ahead but recently it does seem to let the gap increase substantially. Strangely for automation though, it seems to be inconsistent in the way it behaves when the leading car moves further away.
Does your car have radar? mine is Vision only M3. I think the NN is less confident in smaller gaps (like bumper to bumper traffic) to determine the distance to proceeding car. I think it's more accurate in higher speeds and more dynamic situations

Does your car have radar? mine is Vision only M3. I think the NN is less confident in smaller gaps (like bumper to bumper traffic) to determine the distance to proceeding car. I think it's more accurate in higher speeds and more dynamic situations
Mine is radar. I was on the highway for 4 hours today and many times I found the gap to the vehicle ahead increased far beyond what I would expect without mine accelerating to close it.

This behavior is also situation dependent; watch how fast the car ahead of you accelerates away to predict how fast yours will start. I thought 11.102 was pretty good in that respect (seemed to be a factory build made after 4.18.1) but after observing more I realized it's also quite laggy... Now on 32.22 and it's not that different. The only constant I've noticed is that if the car in front starts aggressively then AP will also start more aggressively.

This behavior is also situation dependent; watch how fast the car ahead of you accelerates away to predict how fast yours will start. I thought 11.102 was pretty good in that respect (seemed to be a factory build made after 4.18.1) but after observing more I realized it's also quite laggy... Now on 32.22 and it's not that different. The only constant I've noticed is that if the car in front starts aggressively then AP will also start more aggressively.
What I'm referring to is cruising at highway speeds, with TACC set to a higher value than the traffic speed. Often the car ahead will gradually move away from me for quite a while before my speed begins to increase. I still prefer this to the earlier softwares which would aggressively try to maintain a fixed distance, but there is room for improvement.

What I'm referring to is cruising at highway speeds, with TACC set to a higher value than the traffic speed. Often the car ahead will gradually move away from me for quite a while before my speed begins to increase. I still prefer this to the earlier softwares which would aggressively try to maintain a fixed distance, but there is room for improvement.

Ah, that for sure. It’s been doing that for me for some time now, including older firmwares on my old 3.

Was going to post a thread on this but found this one so I figured I'd resurect it. I constantly have to press the accelerator a bit to supplement AP taking off when a light turns green and there are car(s) in front of me starting to move. Most of the time it takes off so slow that the car in front can get 15-20 car lengths in front of me and people behind me are wondering why I'm creeping so slow. Then once in maybe 10 takeoffs, it'll take off quickly and keep up with the car in front. So what I wonder is: why does it sometimes take off and keep up, but most of the time it doesn't? Does anyone know what factors may affect this? There has to be a reason that sometimes it chooses to take off faster. My car is a 2021 M3LR: one of the last ones with radar. Currently on 2022.8.2. I've tried changing following distance and that makes no difference. I do use obstacle aware acceleration. I just thought of that and haven't tried turning that off yet.

Anyone ever come up with settings or conditions to make the car not fall way behind the lead car even though the lead car is accelerating slowly?

Mike

• Love
Reactions: FalconFour
This has been going on since the radar-removal push - the Great Crappification (Autopilot leading-car tracking significantly worse after the radar-removal push) has "fixed" phantom braking/Whimsical Hesitation by just smoothing the crap out of it. They've placed far more emphasis on "wife comfort" than that of driver comfort (comfort of the person paying attention to the road... and others on the road also paying attention). Makes the driver look distracted and hurts traffic flow.

I also desperately wish for a "following rigidity" setting - something I'm sure Tesla has a hidden control for (they have pages and pages of hidden settings we can't touch):

I rented a Polestar 2 for a couple days, and its excellent distance-keeping (but poor lane-keeping) made me so, very, very wish for the earlier days of Autopilot with more rigid and predictable accelerator control. With AP, I'm having to *constantly* mash the accelerator, often while shouting at the car "F*CKING GO!!". 😅