Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot /Adaptive cruise getting worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check the B-pillar cameras for inside condensation, it may be as simple as that.
Nothing to do with dirty anything. It’s software related.
Pages of the stuff here.

I think the problem is they update parts of our stack without really testing it properly in a RHD environment (we do that for them). So we get the worst setup, a stack that’s not properly tested with half of it being an old branch from years ago. Happy to be proved wrong. I do hope they don’t just mirror the images to train the nets for RHD.

With the vision code I have seen far fewer radar strikes off bridges w/ corresponding phantom braking but that’s about the only positive thing I can say.

I’d go with reliability and consistency any day over ‘nouvelle’. Surely in 2023 we can have rock solid ALKS? Please? No? ….No. shame. Tesla doesn’t need Tesla killers, it’ll kill off itself if it keeps undermining features and feature performance.

If we can’t have a rock solid AP, the next thing is an option to choose the last known stable release vs beta, presumably the old Standard vs Advanced switch that doesn’t seem to do anything. But if you could actually reboot into a known good version I’d be happy with that.

There is something really weird about Autopilot at the moment. I drove 150 miles down the M1 last night and it was faultless until I stopped for electricity at Newport Pagnell. The moment I rejoined the motorway it was back to its usual crap routine of panic-braking around other traffic, and choosing vehicles on the left as speed control (matching their speed with a white target but passing when the accelerator is nudged).

I’m wondering they’re running an A / B test and the car picks one at random when you put it in Drive. Then they compare disengagement / interventions between the two. Just a guess though because the difference after stopping for 10 minutes was profound, with no other changes at all.

I’m wondering they’re running an A / B test and the car picks one at random when you put it in Drive. Then they compare disengagement / interventions between the two. Just a guess though because the difference after stopping for 10 minutes was profound, with no other changes at all.

I had a similar experience mid drive, except the trigger me me was an autopilot disengagement rather a stop.

AP lane changes were working perfectly until I went to move back from whence I came only to find a car had just moved into my blind spot at which point lane change bailed on me.

From that point on, AP lane change was having nothing of it, even after an interchange involving a stop at a roundabout. No matter how I coaxed the steering wheel, AP would not recognise hands on wheel when initiating a lane chance. Even forcefully yanking the wheel, auto lane change refused to work. It only started working again after a 20 minute supercharger stop, by which time I was pretty much at end of motorway section.

This was several years ago now and AP giving up mid drive had occurred several times, but I remember the circumstances of this one quite clearly as the failed AP lane change marked the point that the cars behaviour dramatically changed.

My journey this morning from Manchester to Birmingham in beautiful weather conditions and a light to moderate motorway suffered the following:

Cameras blocked or blinded warnings: too many to count on the A roads.

2 lane change cancellations swerving back into the previous lane.

1 full on emergency brake in the fast lane for no reason.

3 hesitations when passing cars or cars passing me requiring me to apply power to continue.

68 mile drive. Poor show.

My journey this morning from Manchester to Birmingham in beautiful weather conditions and a light to moderate motorway suffered the following:

Cameras blocked or blinded warnings: too many to count on the A roads.

2 lane change cancellations swerving back into the previous lane.

1 full on emergency brake in the fast lane for no reason.

3 hesitations when passing cars or cars passing me requiring me to apply power to continue.

68 mile drive. Poor show.
Your cameras are obviously dirty, or if they’re not, you’ve cleaned them incorrectly. Or you’re driving on the wrong kind of road with the the wrong kind of sun.

• Funny
Reactions: Overworked
It’s low sunshine and long shadows season affecting legacy EAP badly more like.
Not just EAP... My AP reduced speed down to ~50 mph, from 70 mph due to poor weather conditions on the motorway! Continued for about 20 miles so I had to keep overiding the AP. Never had that happen before on a lovely sunny morning...
Can I have my radar back please?

Reactions: SalisburySam