Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

autopilot and ministrokes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

winfield100

Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2013
SW Floriduh
I'm not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere or answered so apologies in advance. I am fast approaching 70 and have a friend with a Z3 who probably has had several TIA's (transient ischemic attacks)(mini strokes) while driving and had a "time discontinuity". driving, then suddenly parked on side of road, motor running, not wrecked. Does autonomous driving have the option of "driver not responding, will safely pull to side of road, engage emergency flashers" option? if this question doesnt belong here please move to proper area. I'm only here infrequently

I'm not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere or answered so apologies in advance. I am fast approaching 70 and have a friend with a Z3 who probably has had several TIA's (transient ischemic attacks)(mini strokes) while driving and had a "time discontinuity". driving, then suddenly parked on side of road, motor running, not wrecked. Does autonomous driving have the option of "driver not responding, will safely pull to side of road, engage emergency flashers" option? if this question doesnt belong here please move to proper area. I'm only here infrequently
ap will NOT pull the car off the road, eventually it will slow the car and bring it to a halt if you do not respond to the nags but that takes awhile and wouldn't help your friend in an emergency.

The current implementation will not pull over. When it detects hands not touching the wheel it will slow and stop in the current lane.

ap will NOT pull the car off the road, eventually it will slow the car and bring it to a halt if you do not respond to the nags but that takes awhile and wouldn't help your friend in an emergency.

It'd be better than most any other car in such an event. I passed out yesterday. (After a procedure, no warning not to drive).-luckily i had some warning and had pulled into a parking lot about 30 seconds before it happened.

If I had been on the interstate for that event there isn't another car I'd rather be in.

It'd be better than most any other car in such an event. I passed out yesterday. (After a procedure, no warning not to drive).-luckily i had some warning and had pulled into a parking lot about 30 seconds before it happened.

If I had been on the interstate for that event there isn't another car I'd rather be in.

If a driver with Autopilot on passes out, such that it is noticeable to other drivers on the road (but not slumped over steering wheel, which would disengage AP and 'crash' the car), aside from other drivers having the ability to call 911 and report the situation "there is a car driving down the highway, the driver appears unconscious, the car isn't crashing", other cars on the road who know about AP/Tesla could get in front of the car, and slow down to a stop, with the Tesla mimicking. Another example why the Tesla is a great car. (I realize few people would know/think to do this, and also that there is risk that the driver hits the accelerator, rear ending the assisting car).

I imagine a future continuous improvement to this, where the car will be smart enough to pull off the road. A vehicle sitting still in the right lane of an interstate is a precursor to a possible horrendous crash. (All this is probably pretty infrequent though, wouldn't it be?)

There is also the possibility the driver regains consciousness also and is able to continue driving (or pull over safely).

I think i was only out for a minute or so yesterday. I definitely wouldn't want to test this out, but it's better than any other car...

You can test this yourself pretty easily and safely, if you can find a road with very little traffic. Engage autosteer and then don't touch the wheel, even when it starts to whine at you. Obviously, take over if other people are around, but if the road is clear you can do this without any danger. Once the car decides to take action, it will turn on the hazard lights and brake to a stop. The braking is pretty gentle so it won't create a safety problem through sudden braking. A car stopped in the highway with hazards flashing is dangerous, but not outrageously so. If you're testing it, as soon as you take over, the car resumes normal operation, so if another car suddenly appears it's no problem to just abort the test.