Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and slip roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just recently, since 2020.20.8 I think, autopilot has taken to erratically veering left to take a slip road, all by itself, when it's engaged on dual carriageways.

It does it violently enough to raise serious complaints from passengers, and causes a sweve by the time I've snatched the steering wheel back and corrected it.

It seems like it's the newest incarnation of phantom breaking and bridges.

I'm surprised not to have found similar threads (sorry if I missed them). Has anyone else seen this?

Luke

I’ve done 400 miles this weekend, nearly all on motorway or dual carriageway and not had any problems with what you describe.

In fact when on the A1, autopilot perfectly took the lane split at Peterborough without issue.

My main gripe with autopilot is the dodgy map data/gps locations causing it to drop the speed on TAAC/Autopilot (note, the speed limit recognition doesn’t change and is fine, it’s a TAAC/AP max speed issue), a small section of the A14 is particularly problematic around the A14/M11 interchange.

It’s very rare I get phantom braking, but I do avoid going from say lane 3 to 2 alongside a lorry in lane 1, because you know. To be fair, I also avoid doing this for any vehicle because people are very blinkered and don’t expect you to appear in their blind spots and they may decide to change lanes when you do. It’s just much safer to get your nose ahead of the vehicle in lane 1 before moving over regardless.

Motorways are fine, but I've had this on some A roads. Often there is a gap in the dashed lines and an arrow splitting. I assume the car thinks it should just keep to the 'left lane'.

Multiple versions over 6 months of ownership. I always prepare to take control at these points. Also avoid lane changing from right to left near an exit as sometimes it shoots for the exit.

On the whole I find my EAP to be excellent with phantom breaking very rare. No issues with lorry's etc, despite the little dance they do on the graphics as I pass.

After lots of miles over the weekend, I did have a problems where you have a two lane road merging into a motorway, where the right lane merges in, but the left lane just becomes an additional lane on the motorway.
First time I was in the left lane, and autopilot tried to turn right across the solid hashed divider at the point the right lane merged with the motorway.
Second time I was in the right lane, and autopilot tried to turn left across the divider into the left lane.

But generally pretty good, I'm still learning the best way to use it.

Just recently, since 2020.20.8 I think, autopilot has taken to erratically veering left to take a slip road, all by itself, when it's engaged on dual carriageways.
Do you mean Autosteer or maybe Navigate on Autopilot? (Autopilot is the name for all systems that provide convenience and active safety features.)
It's not clear from your description if the car was meant to take the slip road or just happened to be passing one and veered off.

If you search on autosteer you will see this thread which sounds similar to your occurrence if the latter:

Just Autosteer, so the car should have just been keeping to it's lane.

At times, feedback through the wheel when approaching slip roads gives the impression that the car is thinking about it, then decides to stay in lane.

I've done 1600 ish miles so far this month and I'd say it's done it around 10 times.

It does it violently enough to raise serious complaints from passengers, and causes a sweve by the time I've snatched the steering wheel back and corrected it.

It seems like it's the newest incarnation of phantom breaking and bridges.

I'm surprised not to have found similar threads (sorry if I missed them). Has anyone else seen this?

Luke
It's the unpredictability of its actions, wither as you say, it takes the exit or tries to move into the next lane to the right. Even though the lane you are in is still correct one for your journey. Luckily for me few and far between the phantom breaking, instead fighting with the car when it doesn't want to change lanes when the lane you wish to moive into is clear.

I've also found that sometimes my M3 wants to take a slip road all by itself, and other times it dosen't. At each occasion, I want to stay on the motorway and not leave it.

As the OP said, it can be a bit violent and if left unchecked I would imagine seeing me exit the motorway! It appears to me to be worse on motorways where the gap for the arrow painted on the road leaves a long break in the dotted line. Accentuated when going around a slight bend.