Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, I meant it as a joke (of course), but wow, there's some really good reading here: Seppuku - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Totally off-topic, and I apologize in advance, but this reminds of a late-90's flick called Ronin (reference to Seppuku halfway through the movie), which had AWESOME car chases through Paris and Nice! Totally worth checking out *runs and finds the DVD to watch again soon* :biggrin:

"The main point differentiating Tesla’s Autopilot from driving assist systems from other manufacturers is the fact that all cars are connected to each others and learn from each driver. Musk referred to each Model S owners as an “expert trainer”, which will feed the collective network intelligence of the fleet simply by driving the vehicle on the Autopilot. Every week the system should get better by updating the driving algorithm. Musk said that Model S owners could add ~1 million miles of new data every day."

Auto evolving algorithm based on what every driver experiences. Perfect!

RT

And that is when Skynet became self aware......

I'm stunned. Where are the posts from people demanding a way to opt out as "expert trainers"? Isn't it a terrible invasion of your privacy? Don't you have a right to drive all crazy like and not have Tesla monitor you? Sheezh. Another big brother thing. Next we'll hear that the NSA is monitoring our cell phone calls.

Elon on fleet learning: You'll see statistically if a turn is allowed or not allowed, what is the safe speed not just on this road but in this specific lane, around a curve, etc.

Conf call audio

Huge kudos and thanks to Electrek for posting the audio. They have been simply stellar throughout the v7.0 beta test.

Edit: "You'll see" means they will see in their database how people normally drive, and the car will be instructed to drive accordingly. The goal appears to be to get the car to drive like a typical driver on that route. It sounds obvious, but I can think of situations where that should not be the goal.

Last edited:
I'm stunned. Where are the posts from people demanding a way to opt out as "expert trainers"? Isn't it a terrible invasion of your privacy? Don't you have a right to drive all crazy like and not have Tesla monitor you? Sheezh. Another big brother thing. Next we'll hear that the NSA is monitoring our cell phone calls.
Anonymized data is pretty standard in the tech industry, and I think much of this crowd (those interested in the autopilot thread) probably recognizes that.

That ship has sailed if you own one of these cars, even without AP.

That's strange.. I didn't think GPS had that good resolution without assisted or differential GPS. The best I've seen the accuracy on consumer level GPS is about 9 feet. 9 feet to the left or right sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I would NOT trust GPS to that level of accuracy (lane keeping, that is).

They are using camera + GPS + traditional auto sensors like wheel rotation sensors and steering wheel position sensors to tell how far the car has traversed in what direction from the last known fix.

I don't think at ANY time they are relying on a single sensor or input. The system is always looking at 5 + data inputs to decide what combination can be trusted and combines/discards/prefers as it sees fit to do based on the logic programed in.

They are using camera + GPS + traditional auto sensors like wheel rotation sensors and steering wheel position sensors to tell how far the car has traversed in what direction from the last known fix.

I don't think at ANY time they are relying on a single sensor or input. The system is always looking at 5 + data inputs to decide what combination can be trusted and combines/discards/prefers as it sees fit to do based on the logic programed in.

And a big 'ol Kalman filter.

Earlier I read in the media this: "The Autopilot software will be installed via a wireless update between Wednesday evening and Thursday morning. Drivers must pay a one-time fee of $2,500 to use it."

Hope that was just an ill-informed journalist. I already paid my $2500 for the Tech Package during my initial order. Has anyone else heard we might need to pay a one-time fee to activate autopilot?

You can opt out by just leaving autopilot disengaged. Drive as crazy as you want an they won't know.

When you want to use AP drive normal.

When you want to drive crazy don't use AP.