Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Disengages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may have been a topic of discussion before so sorry in advance.

I have a SR+, when I'm in autopilot and signal to cut over autopilot turns off. I fully engaged the turn signal. Has this happened to anyone else? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

If your car doesn't have either the Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) or Full Self Driving (FSD) package, I believe that the lowest level of Autopilot doesn't include automatic lane change. For those cars, I suppose engaging the turn signal disengages at least Auto Steer (AS), and perhaps Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) as well? My Model 3 has EAP, so I'm not sure about interactions with the base level system.

If your car doesn't have either the Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) or Full Self Driving (FSD) package, I believe that the lowest level of Autopilot doesn't include automatic lane change. For those cars, I suppose engaging the turn signal disengages at least Auto Steer (AS), and perhaps Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) as well? My Model 3 has EAP, so I'm not sure about interactions with the base level system.

So it will disengage autopilot and go into cruise control I've noticed that. Thanks for the information!

I don't think it's supposed to turn AP off just because you hit the turn signal. Did you have your hand on the wheel? The force needed to take over is less when the turn signal is on, so perhaps you had enough force to take over after the turn signal was used?

This may have been a topic of discussion before so sorry in advance.

I have a SR+, when I'm in autopilot and signal to cut over autopilot turns off. I fully engaged the turn signal. Has this happened to anyone else? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
I've noticed that I have to leave the turn signal on for a very long time in order for AP to successfully complete a lane change. Turning off the turn signal at what would feel like the correct time results in an aborted lane change.

I don't think it's supposed to turn AP off just because you hit the turn signal. Did you have your hand on the wheel? The force needed to take over is less when the turn signal is on, so perhaps you had enough force to take over after the turn signal was used?

I just keep my hand on the wheel without much pressure and it still disengages.

I've noticed that I have to leave the turn signal on for a very long time in order for AP to successfully complete a lane change. Turning off the turn signal at what would feel like the correct time results in an aborted lane change.

When I turn on the signal it just disengages pretty quickly.

Standard AP is nerfed to the point of being pointless.

Granted your use-case and preferences may differ from mine, but I think even "just" TACC+Autosteer (i. e. Autopilot) is still quite useful and potentially helpful.

Really considering buying FSD. I keep reading/hearing it's cheap now

It's definitely not cheap, unless you happen to be in a position where you consider several thousand dollars to be "cheap". It is, however, expected to get even more spendy once the next major revision to the car's firmware is released.

Reactions: Cree