Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - Explanation needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the internet and hate the internet at the same time. You do a search and info from 2016 and 2021 come up and some things are the same and some are not.

Looking for clarification on what features you get with off-the-shelf Autopilot for the M3Sr+ not the Enhanced or FSD.

Ie is it just a fancy name for cruise control and forced lane-keeping?

Thanks

Basically yes, its typically thought of as TACC and Auto steer (within the same lane) but basically a host of other convenience and safety features are included too. Its in the manual. EAP and FSD add more features.

Importantly, auto steers job is to keep you in your lane, even if that lane has an obstruction or is too tight to negotiate. So if you are not paying attention, the system may not respond in a way that you may want it to. The cars behaviour can also change dramatically from release to release or even weather and traffic conditions.

Both TACC and Autosteer have a whole host of limiting use cases. Again, all in the manual. Many people will show or describe the use of autopilot features in situations that it is not designed for.

Last edited:
Love the internet and hate the internet at the same time. You do a search and info from 2016 and 2021 come up and some things are the same and some are not.

Looking for clarification on what features you get with off-the-shelf Autopilot for the M3Sr+ not the Enhanced or FSD.

Ie is it just a fancy name for cruise control and forced lane-keeping?

Thanks
I have repeatedly criticised Tesla for their lack of clarity and detail WRT published specifications.
You SHOULD NOT have to resort to searching the internet to find out what should be made clear on the Tesla web site😡

Reactions: Yachtsman
I’ve got a similar question. I purchased a new 2021 MY SR at the end of April. What should I have in the way of autopilot functions?

Summon?
Smart summon?
Lane change? I swear it did it once, but it won’t do it again.
Navigate on autopilot?
What else?

So far I can’t find any of those functions.

Thanks.

I’ve got a similar question. I purchased a new 2021 MY SR at the end of April. What should I have in the way of autopilot functions?

Summon?
Smart summon?
Navigate on autopilot?
What else?

Thanks.
You're in the UK forum. We don't have Model Y here.

I have repeatedly criticised Tesla for their lack of clarity and detail WRT published specifications.
You SHOULD NOT have to resort to searching the internet to find out what should be made clear on the Tesla web site😡
How is it not clear?

1621925150059.png

Reactions: Yev000

Summon?
Smart summon?
Navigate on autopilot?
What else?

Thanks.
None of those with just Autopilot. You have to pay for Enhanced AP or pay even more for FSD to get those.

I do see your point though that it is poorly laid out and difficult to find some info on the site.... To be fair there is no actual big "spec" that you see with other car manufacturers normally.

I googled and downloaded the user manual, at the back are some stats about the car that you don't find anywhere else :rolleyes:

I do see your point though that it is poorly laid out and difficult to find some info on the site.... To be fair there is no actual big "spec" that you see with other car manufacturers normally.

I googled and downloaded the user manual, at the back are some stats about the car that you don't find anywhere else :rolleyes:
I agree, why not make it clear, easy to find (ideally in one obvious place) grrrr

Yes, but where is the list of what features are on what model? That’s where you’re playing a guessing game
I also have a SR+ which has Autopilot (Lane Assist and TACC) as standard but no NOA, Smart Summon and Autopark which are part of the FSD Software Upgrade, no Current Model 3 has these as standard you need to pay for the Upgrade.