Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot fail with lane splitting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just the other day, under similar conditions (1-to-2 lanes) I noticed a notification at the bottom of the drivers screen (Model S) saying something like "use small amount of force on steering wheel to select which way to go" Or something similar. It was only there for a second, so I couldn't read it carefully. Has anyone else seen this notification?

I haven't seen that notice in my s and probably won't because I use AP1. But this is exactly what I do when I get on the highway that goes from a single lane to a double lane. I slightly force it to the right without taking it out of autopilot.

It also has problems when a lane becomes much wider as well. We have an old marked country road where I live that turns into a newer wide unmarked residential road. That causes the autopilot some grief. I just turn it off when I get there. I've also noticed when a highway exit or merge is wide, but loses it's center line then regains it further down. The car doesn't know exactly what to do.

Happens to me when driving on the local highway with a bunch of exits. If in the right lane, and the lines disappear as the exit approaches, it goes to the right and then jumps back.
On my daily commute of 120 miles total I have one or two places with a turn lane and Eve wanting to turn into it....when there is a car in front it doesn’t even budge....definitely should be on the engineers’ to-do list!

Reactions: cstork
On some 1:2 transitions I can nudge the wheel enough to select the right side lane. It seems to default to left. But there are other 1:2's that will disengage if you nudge it enough to select right-side.

This is not an issue with some other autosteering systems. They allow more 'nudge' before disengaging.

Reactions: cstork
Just the other day, under similar conditions (1-to-2 lanes) I noticed a notification at the bottom of the drivers screen (Model S) saying something like "use small amount of force on steering wheel to select which way to go" Or something similar. It was only there for a second, so I couldn't read it carefully. Has anyone else seen this notification?

Haven't seen it, but will watch for it.

My habit is to keep autopilot on and to brace to keep the car on the correct path - which usually means it tries to line up badly, and I correct it, pulling out of autopilot, and then I re-engage.

The corrections should add up to collective input for the autopilot system's data gathering. If we all just turn of autopilot before problem areas, the system gets no feedback on the problem areas.

Reactions: Fernand