Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Failed me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving home on the Taconic Parkway in NYS, I put my car in Autopilot because the road is very curvy and makes me nervous. I guess it made the Car Nervous also as it Ran into a Guardrail. Now my insurance company is totaling the Car which I just purchased in September. I am trying to engage Tesla in conversation about the failure of the Auto pilot system but I can’t get a human on the line. I am open to suggestions as to what my next moves should be. I LOVED my Model Y, and miss it terribly, but thanks to Elon dropping the prices three times since I acquired it, I doubt it will get enough to pay of the loan let alone replace the vehicle. I am at a loss.

Please advise.

Soloflight - The Former Model Y Owner.
IMG_8212.jpeg

Reactions: Msicario
I’m sorry this happened to you and glad you are ok! Sadly I don’t think you’ll have much luck with Tesla helping in this situation, they will most likely refer you to this section of the manual. Auto steer does ok on divided highways and freeways when conditions are good but outside of that it can not be and should not be relied on. It can also kick off at any moment if it looses its sense of where the road is or is unsure of what to do and the user has to be ready for that, there is no warning or delay before that happens.

Hopefully you will be able to figure out an amicable solution with your insurance company and won’t be underwater on your loan!

IMG_0199.jpeg

I’m sorry this happened to you and glad you are ok! Sadly I don’t think you’ll have much luck with Tesla helping in this situation, they will most likely refer you to this section of the manual. Auto steer does ok on divided highways and freeways when conditions are good but outside of that it can not be and should not be relied on. It can also kick off at any moment if it looses its sense of where the road is or is unsure of what to do and the user has to be ready for that, there is no warning or delay before that happens.

Hopefully you will be able to figure out an amicable solution with your insurance company and won’t be underwater on your loan!

View attachment 959567
Thanks for sharing this info.

I use autopilot sometimes, but when the going gets tough I can drive better than the autopilot. The autopilot can’t anticipate a developing situation. A yo-yo speeding and weaving in and out of traffic.

I’m guessing the accident happened because the lanes were poorly marked, or maybe a construction zone.

Very sorry this happened to you.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Autopilot is not really meant for curvy roads. It can do it sometimes. Until it can’t, and gives you zero prior warning to take over immediately.

It’s not a self driving system nor anywhere near it. You’re 100% at fault here because you’re supposed to be fully paying attention and in control even in Autopilot. Tesla has zero liability or responsibility in this.

Good luck on repairs.

Reactions: WyoDude
Driving home on the Taconic Parkway in NYS, I put my car in Autopilot because the road is very curvy and makes me nervous. I guess it made the Car Nervous also as it Ran into a Guardrail. Now my insurance company is totaling the Car which I just purchased in September. I am trying to engage Tesla in conversation about the failure of the Auto pilot system but I can’t get a human on the line. I am open to suggestions as to what my next moves should be. I LOVED my Model Y, and miss it terribly, but thanks to Elon dropping the prices three times since I acquired it, I doubt it will get enough to pay of the loan let alone replace the vehicle. I am at a loss.

Please advise.

Soloflight - The Former Model Y Owner.
View attachment 959557

Sorry this happened to you. This isn’t for you, this if for the other new Tesla with Autopilot owners. Using Autopilot beta is like teaching your 13 year old to drive, it’s neat to see but you can’t trust it, ever. As long as it is in beta, it’s entertainment, it isn’t a trustworthy driver. I love to see my car autosteer, I like to see it slow, to stop, to beep when the light turns green but I don’t rely on it. I’m much more awake and alert and on top of it when it is driving than when a human is driving, me or any other one. It’s software. It’s a video game that I can ride in. But it isn’t a real driver. It isn’t even close.

Autosteer isn't perfect, but I've never come close to hitting a guardrail or any other road boundary. A couple of other possible explanations, both of which I've experienced (but fortunately without hitting anything):
  1. You accidentally engaged TACC without Autosteer.
  2. You engaged Autosteer, but you were holding the wheel too tightly (maybe because you were nervous) and you accidentally disengaged Autosteer.
As others have said, you're responsible for what happens when using AP, so Tesla isn't going to do anything for you.

Sorry about your accident. It's been over 20 years but I've used the Taconic a number of times driving to IBM in Poughkeepsie. I do enjoy the ride but yeah you have to be on your game navigating the road. Someone asked if FSD would've done better but I don't use it much. It needs alot work. I'm waiting for someone
to post driving up Pikes Peak. 20 miles, the last part dirt road, one lane each direction and NO GUARDRAILS. I don't know how the tour buses do it. When we got to the top we all had a shot of whiskey

I've never experienced this behavior. I've driven the Taconic in the past (not in a Tesla) and I don't remember it being any more curvy than other similar roads. It did feel narrower, but not sure if it actually is. Could it be possible that NoAP, AP, or FSDb was not engaged at the time?

My M3 has always been excellent in curvy roads and feels like it's on rails:

I've never experienced this behavior. I've driven the Taconic in the past (not in a Tesla) and I don't remember it being any more curvy than other similar roads. It did feel narrower, but not sure if it actually is. Could it be possible that NoAP, AP, or FSDb was not engaged at the time?

My M3 has always been excellent in curvy roads and feels like it's on rails:

Fact is, see top of thread, Taconic is a top 7 most dangerous road, highway in the USA
Most of us in NYS know this
On Long Island, down state, rhe Southern Parkway is also dangerous

If you are very good working with AutoPilot, experienced, you can use AP but keep hands close, be ready to take over
And
Maybe skip roads we know are very dangerous
Also keep your Tesla code updated to have the latest and hopefully greatest AP/EAP/FSD
Good luck

Auto steer is still on beta, which probably means it needs more dojo training. I never use autopilot with auto steer, never felt comfortable putting my life on the line with beta software. I know many are perfectly ok with the risk, just be extra attentive when using autosteer.

While it adds nothing to fixing/ buying off your car, with the utmost due respect; if a road is too curvy for you yourself to handle that you rely on the car, don't take that road. Any level of autopilot says to be actively monitoring and ready to take control, to me this reads more as you failed your car than it failed you.

If the vehicle doesn't stay in the lane and beeps when it drifts into an adjacent lane, it means you're not in Auto Steer and you're supposed to be driving it. I've experienced this at times when I think I have FSDb engaged, when in fact I do not...
This sort of thing can happen, actually. I have, under extra close supervision purely as an experiment, used autosteer on some fast, curvy roads of the type where a human would slow down to make the bend easier and you can have a situation where the car will attempt the turn, get part way through and not be able to turn tightly enough and then perform 'emergency interventions' on itself (lane departure warnings, etc.)

Reactions: APotatoGod