Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot glitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a known bug?

My regular commute to work takes me along a 25 mph side street then I turn onto a local highway where the speed limit is 40 mph and changes to 50 mph within a few hundred feet. Often the car fails to recognize the changed speed limits. By 'often' I mean not always but half the time or perhaps a third of the time. Furthermore, once it has made that error, it's locked into it. I can drive around all afternoon and the car will insist the speed limit is 25 mph regardless of what road I'm on.

I have never seen this behavior when I did not turn at that exact route. If I turn onto the highway at a different location, the autopilot has always got the speeds right.

I can fix it by turning the car off, i.e. putting it in park, getting out and walking away. After that, it correctly recognizes the local speed limit.

There are consequences: as long as it thinks the speed limit is 25 mph, if I engage the automatic steering the car reduces the speed to a maximum 35 mph.

Is this a known bug? Is there a fix?

Sorry. I should have listed firmware and such. It's autopilot 2. Firmware version 2017.34 2448cfc

I never noticed this behavior before that firmware version, but I'm not certain it wasn't happening earlier.

I can certainly set the speed higher and the cruise control will work just fine, but not with the automatic steering engaged. At least that's the way I recall it.

It happens to me on certain stretches of a freeway that was recently widened (Google maps thinks I am on the frontage road). My car will immediately try to apply the brakes and display the message about autosterr speed limited etc. It is very consistent (100% of a "success" rate) on the same stretches of the road. I just remember where this happens, so it doesn't catch me by surprise anymore.

2017.34 here as well.