Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot hugs side of neighboring cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One major complaint I have with Autopilot (I have a 2018 S with AP2.0) is that it always seems to ride closest to the left side of the lane if in a 1 lane road putting it closest to on coming traffic, and closest to the side of the lane that’s next to adjacent cars if on a 2 lane road, making it feel like at times that it’s going to swipe the car next to me.
Anyone else feel this is an issue?

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
If you've got a 2018, it's definitely AP2.5 and my car is mostly perfectly centered. It only has issues on irregular cloverleaf access ramps where it goes for metal barriers at the tight part of the curve. I actually have AP2.0 and the radar are different and factor into phantom braking and perhaps Lane centering.

If you've got a 2018, it's definitely AP2.5 and my car is mostly perfectly centered. It only has issues on irregular cloverleaf access ramps where it goes for metal barriers at the tight part of the curve. I actually have AP2.0 and the radar are different and factor into phantom braking and perhaps Lane centering.

Though it is good to be centered in the lane in general, any good driver will offset to the side of the lane where there is no traffic when driving next to another vehicle. This offers a crucial few seconds to react if someone drifts into your lane. I don;t consider it good driving to stubbornly be on the center of the lane when driving next to an 18-wheeler, if there is room to safely move a bit away...

Reactions: OPRCE and mkc731
Elon addressed this a couple days ago. Hopefully some more human-like behavior is in the works.

5wBNTSN.png

Though it is good to be centered in the lane in general, any good driver will offset to the side of the lane where there is no traffic when driving next to another vehicle. This offers a crucial few seconds to react if someone drifts into your lane. I don;t consider it good driving to stubbornly be on the center of the lane when driving next to an 18-wheeler, if there is room to safely move a bit away...
Well that’s exactly my point and also how I drive, but AP always puts me on the opposite side of the lane closer to trouble, so center would be an improvement

If you have AP 2.0, you may have to take it to Tesla to recalibrate your autosteer to center your car. I read that with AP 2.5, it auto calibrate even after you changed your windshield, but for 2.0 cars, you have to ask Tesla to do it if the car does not center after windshield replacement. You probably didn't have a windshield replacement, but maybe your calibration was bad out of the factory?

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
Actually I may be 2.5 as it’s a 2018 model; when was the cutoff?

That's 2.5. The cut off was around August 2017. I would contact Tesla and ask them to recalibrate your autosteer as it is off center. It should be dead center on the lane. I have a 2017 2.5 Model X and a 2018 2.5 Model 3 and both autosteer are dead center in the lane when the car is going straight. On a curve, it does go off center, but not a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE and SBDPlaid
I would like to see a way to adjust lane position with the steering wheel controls. Here in CA I hug the left side of the fast lane to give more room to lane-sharing motorcycles as most people do. Other times there's a concrete barrier two inches from the fog line I want to stay further away from.