Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot in the refresh S is crap lately! 4.15.22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using autopilot in stop and go traffic in my 21 Plaid lately (SWV: 2022.12.1) and it's been accelerating from a stop abruptly and jamming on the brakes harshly as well. It acted like my wifes 2022 YP with vision only. It was so bad today that I was staring to feel sick to my stomach. No setting change helped at all.

I have been waiting to be accepted into the FSD beta program. I decided to turn off the the Beta program application and low and behold the car went back to smooth driving in traffic with autopilot engaged. It looks like Tesla disables the Lidar in the new S even when your waiting to be accepted into the FSB beta program.

• Disagree
Reactions: hollow23
Not true. Tesla doesn’t disable radar in radar-equipped cars until you install a FSD Beta build.

You don't know that. I have tested it three times now. The second I push the apply for FSB my car drives like crap in stop and go traffic with Autopilot engaged. The second I un-apply for FSB it drives fine. You're stating facts like you work for Tesla. Don't be that guy. I hate them.

(I meant radar in my first post)

You don't know that. I have tested it three times now. The second I push the apply for FSB my car drives like crap in stop and go traffic with Autopilot engaged. The second I un-apply for FSB it drives fine. You're stating facts like you work for Tesla. Don't be that guy. I hate them.

(I meant radar in my first post)
I know what Tesla has told us, which is the same thing I told you. Believe it or not, doesn’t matter to me.

I’ve owned Teslas for 6 years. I don’t have a Plaid, but when my 2018 S and my wife’s 2018 3 were in the FSD Beta queue, I didn’t see any difference in AP behavior. I opted both cars out of the queue because of the Safety Score foolishness.

Last edited by a moderator:
My current car is a '22 S LR w/ radar, beta opt-in & out since January, currently on 2022.12.1. I haven't noticed any changes in autopilot performance in stop and go beyond a slight change when they did something with regen in autopilot a few versions ago. Overall, similar to my old raven-era S. A bit slow to move after the car ahead pulls away, then accelerates pretty hard to catch up and match speed. It is also slower than I would be to react to a car stopping in front, but nothing too abrupt.

The typical sign of radar being active in the SW is seeing cars more frequently in your lane in front of the lead car on the visualization. Radar apparently has some ability to get returns under the lead car where as vision only doesn't necessarily pick up cars through the lead car's windows.

Reactions: dbldwn02
My current car is a '22 S LR w/ radar, beta opt-in & out since January, currently on 2022.12.1. I haven't noticed any changes in autopilot performance in stop and go beyond a slight change when they did something with regen in autopilot a few versions ago. Overall, similar to my old raven-era S. A bit slow to move after the car ahead pulls away, then accelerates pretty hard to catch up and match speed. It is also slower than I would be to react to a car stopping in front, but nothing too abrupt.

The typical sign of radar being active in the SW is seeing cars more frequently in your lane in front of the lead car on the visualization. Radar apparently has some ability to get returns under the lead car where as vision only doesn't necessarily pick up cars through the lead car's windows.

This is what I was looking for. Someone that actually has the same (almost) car with FSD package.

I did a soft and hard reset and it still drove horribly in stop and go traffic. The only way to fix it was to pull out of the beta program application. Weird, at least it's fixed now.

Reactions: Hamilton237
This is what I was looking for. Someone that actually has the same (almost) car with FSD package.

I did a soft and hard reset and it still drove horribly in stop and go traffic. The only way to fix it was to pull out of the beta program application. Weird, at least it's fixed now.
But could your car see two or three cars ahead?

Like Hamilton said, it's the easiest way to figure out if it's using radar...Something that will sorely be missed when they force everyone to the "Superior" vision platform.