Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot issue with it not detecting when I apply slight force to the steering wheel.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, occasionally when I get the "apply force to steering wheel" message when using autopilot, the car will not detect any movement I give the steering wheel and will also not detect movement of the buttons of the gear selector. Because of this autopilot will end up disengaging so in order to continue using it I have to hit the brake to disengage it then turn it back on real quick. Seems like it happens every 10 minutes on the freeway and it's pretty annoying. Has anyone had this happen? Isn't normal behavior I am assuming?

Thanks

You didn’t say which car you have, but how are you moving the steering wheel in response to the prompts? You need to tug the wheel a bit for the car to detect it, and it‘s easy to accidentally tug a little too hard and disengage Autosteer. You can also use the scroll wheel (adjust volume for example) to let the car know you’re paying attention when you get the prompt.

Just to be clear, it is rotational force that is required. You have to turn the wheel slightly. Pushing or pulling the wheel is not going to do it. "Apply force to steering wheel" is pretty ambiguous.

I find that if I rest my elbow on the console and lightly hold the 3 o'clock part of the steering wheel, I rarely get the prompt. The weight of my arm provides enough resistance to let the car know that I'm there. This may or may not work for others depending on height and driving position.

It's a 2022 model 3 performance. I do rotate the wheel and it doesn't respond to it. Also like I said it also doesn't respond to me moving the buttons on the steering wheel or moving the gear stalk. But it only happens maybe every 10th time or so I am asked to move the wheel. Kind of seems like a software bug or something.

It's a 2022 model 3 performance. I do rotate the wheel and it doesn't respond to it. Also like I said it also doesn't respond to me moving the buttons on the steering wheel or moving the gear stalk. But it only happens maybe every 10th time or so I am asked to move the wheel. Kind of seems like a software bug or something.
Definitely sounds like a bug. I’ve never had this issue with any version of my Teslas.

Hello, occasionally when I get the "apply force to steering wheel" message when using autopilot, the car will not detect any movement I give the steering wheel and will also not detect movement of the buttons of the gear selector. Because of this autopilot will end up disengaging so in order to continue using it I have to hit the brake to disengage it then turn it back on real quick. Seems like it happens every 10 minutes on the freeway and it's pretty annoying. Has anyone had this happen? Isn't normal behavior I am assuming?

Thanks
I found that just bumping the wheel to the right or left wasn't always being recognized. Now I bump it and hold it there for a second and that seems to be recognized more often.

Thanks
Mine did that every 60-90 seconds on a road trip and it was so annoying! Has Tesla made any adjustments to fix this issue?

I also have a model 3 with the same problem

I also have a model 3 with the same problem
The service center never fixed it. I got in an argument with the guy at the service center about them not willing to fix it and ended up talking to a manager and he said to record what happens and to take it back but haven't bothered since I'm a couple hours way from the service center. I started using a wheel weight because it's the only way I could use it without having it disengage all the time but now they push out an update trying to disable those as well so I am probably going to have to try and take it to the service center again.