Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane change ping-ponging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is something that has been posted before, but the last couple software updates have not fixed what happens reasonably often for me - when I'm in autopilot (not nav-on-autopilot) sometimes I will initiate a lane change with very well marked lanes and no cars around me, and the car will venture into the lane, then aggressively move back into the original lane-- this can happen 4-5x rather violently, and sometimes it'll just give up and say autosteer lane change canceled. Is anyone else getting this behavior?

Honestly it does this probably 30% of the time I try it. I've basically started just changing lanes on my own (the horror! lol)

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
This very rarely happened before (usually you could see why too) and noticed it last night on 2019.8.3 it did that in ideal conditions. I only let it try once (and fail) and took over.

At least we know they are doing something. ;)

I’ve seen it mentioned in other threads too.

Out of curiosity, did the sun happen to be low in the sky in the direction you were changing lanes? I've had this happen a couple times in the past, and it always seems to be when I'm on my way home from work on the interstate with the sun low in the sky. Just wondering if it's blinding one or more cameras and causing this behavior.

Out of curiosity, did the sun happen to be low in the sky in the direction you were changing lanes? I've had this happen a couple times in the past, and it always seems to be when I'm on my way home from work on the interstate with the sun low in the sky. Just wondering if it's blinding one or more cameras and causing this behavior.

I don't think so. I was heading North around 7PM in the Northeast.

Maybe a shadow cast from the left?

Gonna make the same trip tonight, similar conditions, similar time.

Last edited:
So the sun was low in the sky in the west? Which COULD (I'm 100% speculating here) be shining into the B pillar camera (lens flare?). Like I said, pure speculation on my part based only on the couple of times I've had this issue.

Hmmm, hadn't considered it blinding the left camera. Maybe.

Ahh, I know what we should all do. Save the TeslaCam footage after it happens.
Maybe that's already been suggested and I'm just catching up here.

I don't think that's it at least for me -- did it this morning on my drive to work before the sun was up... but I haven't yet checked whether maybe the glass overlying the cameras needs to be cleaned.

I have had my model 3 for about 1 month, so still learning. I have enhanced Autopilot, and had this happen several times to me. What I have noticed is if I hold the blinker down until I am well into the new lane - no problem. If I let up on the blinker midway it seems to think I have changed my mind and aggressively takes me back to the lane I started in. My son purchased a CPO 2015 Model S, auto pilot 1 and I drove cross country with him (sold me on buying my car) and it happened a few times to me on that trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333