Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Lane Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just come back from a trip using A/P - Wife a nervous wreck.
With no other traffic on the motorway except one slower van in front, I indicated right to overtake - the MS did the usual aggressive turn and settled in the outside lane. Well after overtaking I indicated left and the car started to regain the LH lane and as it crossed over the line did a violent swerve towards the right hand edge of the outer lane, only prevented from attacking the median by a hard left on the steering wheel. I can think of a new "F" in the FSD....

To put your comments into perspective with the OP's question, a Model 3 owner on UK roads, what car spec and versions of hardware and software are you experiencing these issues on? Long time since (and only then briefly) I've been on an Australian motorway but do recall them being similar in standard to ours or New Zealand (which I have driven on many times) equivalents, so would expect the car to handle normal driving features in a safe and predictable way.

I've experienced aggressive swerves when negotiating (I soon learned what scenarios may caused problems so don't TACC/AP/NoA in them) on and off ramps and lane flares (single into multiple lanes) where car plays 'pick a lane, any lane, oh, it picked all 3' which I am not convinced isn't a LHD/RHD issue, but never had anything on a marked road with reasonable curves where I felt it was going to run me off the road.

Vanilla: My experience today - Model S on an Australian motorway, two lanes and no relevant turnoffs etc, was scary. The lurch to the right was exactly what would occur is a driver suddenly saw a car pulling out of an intersection from the left - my car actually rolled quite a lot, which with a centre of gravity somewhere below the road surface is remarkable!

>> What version hardware and software?<<
No idea of the hardware - brand new car a month old so presumably latest HW - and 2020.8.3 software. I don't know if the software versions are common in different countries - probably not - but Daisy says she's up to date!

Sounds like we are comparing apples with apples then.

Its one of my concerns that actual or perceived experiences operation of autopilot functionality can vary from one person/car/location to another when used in the correct operational domains, which yours (and most of mine - only when I am testing alone) clearly is being used - all bets are off in other circumstances.

Hi,

First post here, had my gorgeous blue SR+ exactly a month. I have made one longish journey to support a vulnerable person, and noticed in my first motorway journey that the AP has to be reapplied after every lane change. (and it doesn't always want to)

I am a particularly nervous motorway driver (I wont explain why here), and I had hoped that AP would help with this, and it does help a lot while in lane, but having to manually overtake and reset the AP can certainly induce some panic and discomfort for me.

All I'd like to see is the AP be able to make by showing when safe to change lanes with a dashed line, so I can indicate and the car will make the lane change. Lots of cars can do this now, and I've driven a few.

I know if I could afford the FSD package then I would have this, but the basic bottom of the range M3 was as far as I could stretch financially, and it is a great car. However having this feature would literally change my motoring life (i know that sounds dramatic, but it would make a huge difference)

So I suggest all we can do is keep tweeting Elon and asking for it :)

JJ

So I suggest all we can do is keep tweeting Elon and asking for it :)

Welcome to the forums.

Already been done:

Elon Musk on Twitter

I have a wife that will not drive on motorways, so I understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately for me FSD will actually have to be FSD with a "driving Ms Daisy" mode for my Wife to be in the drivers seat and be going on motorways.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.