Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Lane Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m reading conflicting information regarding lane changes while using autopilot on motorways. I don’t have FSD so I’m not referring to auto lane changes in this question however I needed to take a short trip down the motorway this morning to pick up some medication and engaged autopilot however the car stayed in the lane when approaching a slower vehicle and when indicating right to move into the middle lane, the car did nothing and when I did this myself autopilot disengaged so my question is - is this right for those without FSD and we have to engage autopilot every time we change a lane or was I doing something wrong? I thought that the car would change lanes if I hit the indicator and the car assumed it was safe to do so.

Without FSD you have to do what you did. Disengage, change lane, re-engage. Or, only enable as far as TACC (one pull down instead of two)

Autopilot : Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.

You're not missing much in the UK at the moment. Auto lane change takes too long, I only use it as a novelty and sparingly, not because it's useful/easier. I mainly leave it on TACC on the motorway.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I don't have FSD. Lane change routine is (mirror) signal, maneuver (disengages autopilot), re-engage AP. Might need a touch of accelerator to stop the car slowing behind a car in the original lane unless you go really early.

Thanks folks, I guess I’m a little disappointed having come from a Volvo XC90 with autopilot that allowed you to indicate and move the steering wheel into the next lane without disengaging autopilot.

I assumed this would do the same, but it’s good to know. I didn’t want the car the automatically change lane but instead not disengage autopilot as the chime is friggin annoying :confused:

Thanks folks, I guess I’m a little disappointed having come from a Volvo XC90 with autopilot that allowed you to indicate and move the steering wheel into the next lane without disengaging autopilot.

I assumed this would do the same, but it’s good to know. I didn’t want the car the automatically change lane but instead not disengage autopilot as the chime is friggin annoying :confused:

The great thing with Tesla's is that you never know that this may come in an over the air update. One thing Volvo (and many others) don't/can't do

That's Enhanced Autopilot which I don't think the new cars have at the moment unless you've bought the FSD option. This is about as Self drive you can have in the UK. I didn't think I used it much but when I got a loaner from the SC without it I was annoyed it wasn't there.

That's Enhanced Autopilot which I don't think the new cars have at the moment unless you've bought the FSD option. This is about as Self drive you can have in the UK. I didn't think I used it much but when I got a loaner from the SC without it I was annoyed it wasn't there.
You're confusing FSD (with auto lane change) with what the OP is asking about.

What he's asking is it is possible to manually steer the car into another lane without TACC+autosteer disengaging - I understand where he's coming from because this was also possible on my Audi A3.

Sounds like it isn't so requires disengaging, steering, then re-engaging.

Worth saying that the TACC+autosteer in a Tesla are at least aware of each other. In other "dumb" driver assistance packs they operate independently so they are pretty unsophisticated!

Reactions: Cnixon
I found it too annoying to have to constantly re-engage Autopilot on busy motorways so I never used it. When I got my M3 I didn’t think FSD was worth £5500 for very limited extra functionality. On Friday, though, I drove 230 miles from Lancashire to London and the motorways were of course much quieter than usual so I thought I’d try it again. It’s the longest drive I’ve done in a while so I was interested to see how it would perform. There’s still plenty of room for improvement. It made some odd decisions about speed limits, and I had five episodes of phantom braking. One of them was the violent type, slamming on the brakes and reducing my speed from 75mph to 40mph before I intervened to stop the car behind from driving up my fundamental orifice. Scary!

I don't understand why you need to change lanes so often?

You are either going too fast or too slow...

Just engage AP at the actual speed limit and chill. Unless I get stuck behind a 30 MPH tractor I hardly ever need to overtake.

Or you are going 70 MPH in the overtake lane and keep having to give way?

Changing lanes lots of times is just impatience... Maybe that's just me.

Reactions: bhav and Roy W.