Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is extortion at it's finest, only done in a much more clever way, but nevertheless it's still extortion. You start you entire premise by brining up litigation then you try to convince us that's not what you want while constantly talking about it. Talking about how you are working with higher ups at Tesla to make this right, yet you keep talking about litigation.

You have a very poor understanding of extortion. Extortion is a crime in virtually every jurisdiction, generally requiring a threat of violence or force. Saying "I'm an unhappy customer and would like you to fix it" is a really long way from extortion. Accusing someone of committing a federal felony is not very far from libel, however.

You have a very poor understanding of extortion. Extortion is a crime in virtually every jurisdiction, generally requiring a threat of violence or force. Saying "I'm an unhappy customer and would like you to fix it" is a really long way from extortion. Accusing someone of committing a federal felony is not very far from libel, however.

Thanks. A friend reading this thread with me actually just said about the same thing regarding those accusations. Fortunately I doubt some random poster on the internet has much hope of actually damaging my reputation, so I'm not much concerned, but it has been duly noted.

Last edited:
Extortion would be me saying something crazy like, buy back my car right now or give me full autopilot right now or else I'm suing.

FWIW, that isn't remotely extortion either. That is called a demand letter and is pretty much something lawyers do all the time. Telling someone anything followed by "or else I sue" is just a crappy way to negotiate -- its not extortion or anything like it, unless you were knowingly filing frivilous suits just intended to harass the other side. Even then, the remedy is just going to be for you to pay the other sides costs. I probably hear "or else I'm going to sue you" twice a day. My usual response is "bring it" although I normally only say that on the inside.

You're not serious right? I've had a grip since the start, you appear to be the one trying to find it. Keep trying to convince us that your not trying to do what you're clearly trying to do if it makes you feel better or whatever.

I've been on-topic and on-point here from the first post in this thread. You're the one throwing out personal accusations/defamation.

You're not serious right? I've had a grip since the start, you appear to be the one trying to find it. Keep trying to convince us that your not trying to do what you're clearly trying to do if it makes you feel better or whatever.

Jeff

Alright, you've made your point, why not move on?

Thanks. A friend reading this thread with me actually just said about the same thing regarding those accusations. Fortunately I doubt some random internet troll has much hope of actually damaging my reputation, so I'm not much concerned, but it has been duly noted.

Might also help if you did in fact stop subtly bringing up legal recourse.

No, I have a very good understanding of it. If you really want to have this discussion with me then so be it. Extortion is a legal term sure but one without a really good common language replacement. What I'm referring to here is not the legal form of extortion but the understood definition as used outside of the legal framework. I thought about using different words but none of the synonyms fit well to me such as blackmail which isn't what's going on here so that was a poor fit, and the list goes on.

Using a public forum to threaten litigation unless Tesla does X (which we still don't know what X is), fits the spirit of the word extortion even though it doesn't meet the legal definition.

Jeff

FWIW, that isn't remotely extortion either. That is called a demand letter and is pretty much something lawyers do all the time. Telling someone anything followed by "or else I sue" is just a crappy way to negotiate -- its not extortion or anything like it, unless you were knowingly filing frivilous suits just intended to harass the other side. Even then, the remedy is just going to be for you to pay the other sides costs. I probably hear "or else I'm going to sue you" twice a day. My usual response is "bring it" although I normally only say that on the inside.

I meant to imply that such actions would be closer to extortion than what I'm actually doing to better drive home the point that nothing I'm doing is even close to extortion. I'll add a note accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I have a very good understanding of it. If you really want to have this discussion with me then so be it. Extortion is a legal term sure but one without a really good common language replacement. What I'm referring to here is not the legal form of extortion but the understood definition as used outside of the legal framework. I thought about using different words but none of the synonyms fit well to me such as blackmail which isn't what's going on here so that was a poor fit, and the list goes on.

Using a public forum to threaten litigation unless Tesla does X (which we still don't know what X is), fits the spirit of the word extortion even though it doesn't meet the legal definition.

Jeff

Still not even close to extortion. And it has nothing to do with a public forum. I've told people I've spoken with at Tesla the same things I've written here, so I'm very confused as to why you continue with the personal attacks.

- - - Updated - - -

Might also help if you did in fact stop subtly bringing up legal recourse.

How is it subtle? I've been very clear.

... post removed.

Jeff

But not before it was quoted:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jeffro01 viewpost-right.png

Jeff

At he autopilot announcement, the first words out of EM mouth were "We have been able to accelerate autopilot & bring it to market faster then originally anticipated"
This is on Tesla Motors youtube, if I was a new buyer & watched this video today I would assume the features described are functioning today, video is edited by TM & says all cars coming off the line have the hardware but makes no mention of requiring OTA firmware for activation or timelines.

Tesla Unveils Dual Motor and Autopilot - YouTube

I'm seeing no point in engaging further with you on this subject, other than to say that wk's threat seems to be more like "threaten to keep complaining on the forum and in person unless Tesla does X." In the end, I'm not sure what other option you would suggest for him if he remains unhappy. Ask for what he believes he thinks is an equitable resolution and in the alternative he'll just say "never mind, then"?

The weirdest thing about this line of conversation is that I generally disagree with wk. I'm in the same boat and I've elected to take a wait and see attitude thus far. I'd never have posted this thread and I've not reached out to Tesla for any kind of accomodation and I find it unlikely that I will unless things get much worse.

At this point I'd rather see them release something, if anything to buy some time. If autopilot isn't ready, release self parking, and buy yourself a month to release autopilot.

Agree. Even if they release the next-gen autopilot UI showing what the sensors are seeing, that will be a great first step. It will get the everyone excited.

I've said this before probably in another thread, that what Tesla provides for $2500 currently in the Auto-Pilot package (essentially TACC) is in line with what other manufacturers provide.

My comment got buried, but here is the latest timeline from conference call for reference:

August 15 - Early Access (Beta) Release
Mid-September - basic autopilot rollout
"wide release for the auto-pilot and auto-park features in one to two months after that"
The above estimates are contingent on how the Beta goes.

Agree. Even if they release the next-gen autopilot UI showing what the sensors are seeing, that will be a great first step. It will get the everyone excited.

I've said this before probably in another thread, that what Tesla provides for $2500 currently in the Auto-Pilot package (essentially TACC) is in line with what other manufacturers provide.

Yes I'd like to have the new UI also.
So, self parking, new UI, sensor vision (i.e. an overhead view of what is around you), etc. There is a lot that could be rolled out, prior to autopilot, and I feel they should roll atleast something out.

But one thing I'd like to add, $2500 is just for the software. The hardware part is a price we don't know. But if center console is $600, I'd hate to know how much the true cost of Autopilot is.
I view it as an essential part of the car's promise, whose cost cannot be broken out. Tesla without autopilot is not the Tesla I was sold.

Also, you have to compare Tesla with what Tesla likes to compete with, i.e. luxury car segment.
The EV, and 17" screen aside, Tesla's technology is quite far behind what S550 and the new 7 series have now.
I have an S550 also, and it has pretty decent autopilot (minus the nag issue of keeping your hands on the steering).

Now we can only hope Tesla's autopilot will be even better, but as of today, it is only speculation/wishful thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

My comment got buried, but here is the latest timeline from conference call for reference:

August 15 - Early Access (Beta) Release
Mid-September - basic autopilot rollout
"wide release for the auto-pilot and auto-park features in one to two months after that"
The above estimates are contingent on how the Beta goes.

Yeah, the issue is, Elon has given specific timelines and dates many times now. At some point his words become hard to trust.
After all these dates, timelines, rhetoric, sales, marketing, promises and lies, I don't want anymore timelines. I just want them to release it.

So, self parking, new UI, sensor vision (i.e. an overhead view of what is around you), etc. There is a lot that could be rolled out, prior to autopilot, and I feel they should roll atleast something out.

Not only was any sort of overhead view never promised, I don't believe anyone at Tesla has ever even mentioned anything like this. It would be great to eventually get this functionality, but is it even possible with the hardware we have currently in our cars? If so, I hope it is something being worked on, but it's certainly not anything I'm counting on.

Not only was any sort of overhead view never promised, I don't believe anyone at Tesla has ever even mentioned anything like this. It would be great to eventually get this functionality, but is it even possible with the hardware we have currently in our cars? If so, I hope it is something being worked on, but it's certainly not anything I'm counting on.

I don't think it's possible. There is no 360 degree camera currently.

Yes it was never promised or shown.
But it would be super cool, and useful, and probably possible with all the hardware they have.

Yes it was never promised or shown.
But it would be super cool, and useful, and probably possible with all the hardware they have.

What hardware? You have the backup camera. Umn... that's it. Ultrasonic parking sensors wont tell you what's there, only the distance.

Otherwise when you backup into a space, the rear camera turns on and you see the parking sensors as an "overhead" view, but they wont tell you when you're about to curb a wheel or what's really around you, just that you're X" away from something.