Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, if we're thinking outside the box...
Starting 9/1/2015, on the first of every month Elon donates $100,000 to a charity like this one -- http://caraccidentvictim.webs.com/ -- until all AP features demo'd in October 2014 (and advertised as part of the "Tech with Autopilot Convenience Features" option package) are delivered to all AP vehicle owners (not just EAP).

Does such a remedy get my the features faster? Perhaps not.
Does it make me feel better about having to wait? Definitely.
What is the impact for Tesla and Elon? Great PR, IMO.

This is a creative solution that would make me feel much better about the situation. I think a winning strategy could be very low cost. I think even a simple mass email saying in effect "We're sorry it took so long, sometimes when you aim very high you hit unexpected roadblocks" could go a long way. For bonus points they could throw in a pen or a hat or a T-shirt or something. Honestly, I don't know because I'm not really even mad so maybe I'm an easy mark. I do think I could be converted back from lukewarm to a raving fan with some kind of token gesture or at least an acknowledgment/apology type message, because I still love the car intensely.

Tesla really doesn't do customer communication all that well.

Ultrasonic sensor needs obstruction to work. What if I am parking into a parking stall with no cars beside me other than lane markings, and I want to park properly (i.e. center) within the lane?

That should be doable from the camera alone, I'd think... it can line up the spot in front of the stall and keep the proper clearances.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, but that's quite different from taking customer money for a feature/product. Again, the analogy falls flat unless the product was sold "with" the feature that didn't materialize for a long period. I don't recall cases where that's true for his example.

I recall cases where the feature as described was delivered *and sucked* but that's something different entirely.

Just pointing out the analogy. No analogy is perfect...

I am not a production designer, so no knowledge about seat design. But should a less than perfect, but usable and safe, center row middle seat delay the reveal of MX? An armchair speculator speculates that the MX problem is more than just the sculpture seat. It is probably more related to the AP.

The sculptured seat is integral to using the falcon wing door to access the 3rd row seat without removing/tilting/swiveling/hassle of a standard 2nd row seat.

If they can't do the reveal with the in production seat and have enough supply of it to make the next few thousand finalized and available it won't be the reveal that Tesla wants to make.

If they had made the car longer and the door wider the seat wouldn't have to be so different but they are trying to take advantage of the battery pack and the difference this SUV can have vs traditional ICE SUVs.

The door isn't the issue, the seat is.

There are no problems with the drive unit, as you well know.

Sorry my friend, but you are wrong. There are several problems with the DUs that are affecting many owners.

- - - Updated - - -

Why wouldnt they change the website wording with all of this critizism and questions being slung at them? We are talking about less than an hours amount of work.

This goes back to my statement that something doesn't feel right. It's almost like Tesla wants people to believe it is a current technology, and then by the time they get the real news, they are likely to continue with their order. I think it's Tesla making a calculated gamble in order to keep the pipeline full. I hope it doesn't backfire.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, some people are now pointing to the new BMW 7 series -- Don't think for a moment that BMW would have done those things *now* if not for the Tesla Autopilot announcement.

More like the other way around. BMW, Mercedes, and the rest are light years ahead of Tesla in most areas except the drive train. That's the reality. Once the others have an EV with comparable range, Tesla is going to be in serious trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

The customer is always right.

*ROTFL*

The sculptured seat is integral to using the falcon wing door to access the 3rd row seat without removing/tilting/swiveling/hassle of a standard 2nd row seat.

If they can't do the reveal with the in production seat and have enough supply of it to make the next few thousand finalized and available it won't be the reveal that Tesla wants to make.

If they had made the car longer and the door wider the seat wouldn't have to be so different but they are trying to take advantage of the battery pack and the difference this SUV can have vs traditional ICE SUVs.

The door isn't the issue, the seat is.
Thanks so much for the information, and without judging me.

This goes back to my statement that something doesn't feel right. It's almost like Tesla wants people to believe it is a current technology, and then by the time they get the real news, they are likely to continue with their order. I think it's Tesla making a calculated gamble in order to keep the pipeline full. I hope it doesn't backfire.

This is frustrating to me as well. I wrote a long and detailed email to Tesla today and this was one of my questions that I asked for feedback on. Why do they continue to highlight AP in the present tense as stated in the website when it is just flat out wrong.

This is frustrating to me as well. I wrote a long and detailed email to Tesla today and this was one of my questions that I asked for feedback on. Why do they continue to highlight AP in the present tense as stated in the website when it is just flat out wrong.

I have provided feedback to Tesla also. Their response however was, "we don't have a date, sorry our website is confusing". Which was rather shocking to me. Rather than fix the issue, they seem to unbashedly disown the problem. Tch Tch Tesla! Please do let us know what response you receive.

And the investor types who don't actually own the car, please spare me the lecture.

- - - Updated - - -

T..I'm not really even mad so maybe I'm an easy mark. I do think I could be converted back from lukewarm to a raving fan ..

Pretty much sums up where I am. I bought a Tesla to see what all the fuss was all about. Plus I wanted to not pollute.
Sadly, I'm finding myself driving my S550 more than my MS, precisely because it has better tech toys, better ride, and is more plush.
My friends who ask me about the MS, I tell them, meh! It's OKAY! I'm lukewarm too, I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Last edited:
Have we regressed to tin foil hat conspiracies already? Don’t you think it’s possible that people can love electric cars and still be objectionable?
Clearly there are some like that. The thing is that it would not be the first time that big business tried to bring down a competitor with an online campaign ( for example, Samsung doing this to Apple). I have no doubt we have people trying to make some money or a media campaign.

I agree-- what Tesla is doing is worse than what Microsoft used to do!

Sure, but that's quite different from taking customer money for a feature/product. Again, the analogy falls flat unless the product was sold "with" the feature that didn't materialize for a long period. I don't recall cases where that's true for his example.

I recall cases where the feature as described was delivered *and sucked* but that's something different entirely.

I have provided feedback to Tesla also. Their response however was, "we don't have a date, sorry our website is confusing". Which was rather shocking to me. Rather than fix the issue, they seem to unbashedly disown the problem. Tch Tch Tesla! Please do let us know what response you receive.

And the investor types who don't actually own the car, please spare me the lecture.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much sums up where I am. I bought a Tesla to see what all the fuss was all about. Plus I wanted to not pollute.
Sadly, I'm finding myself driving my S550 more than my MS, precisely because it has better tech toys, better ride, and is more plush.
My friends who ask me about the MS, I tell them, meh! It's OKAY! I'm lukewarm too, I don't see what the fuss is all about.

AC123, just sounds like you are more a MB type person than a Tesla person. Perhaps it isn't the car for you. I've owned over 60+ cars in my lifetime and I appreciate the MS for what it is (a really good car imho), sorry it's not to your liking.

In regards to this whole AP issue (not specifically directed to AC123)...

I honestly can't see how anyone capable of turning on a computer and surfing the web can go on the Tesla website, actually read it, then come away believing that all the AP functions are working. Reading comprehension apparently is weak nowadays. The disgruntled posting on the AP continually act like the website is misleading. I just don't see it. Are we sure they didn't read more into this based on a desire as opposed to the text being misleading? I know some will disagree with my perspective, but I really don't get it in this regard.

Perhaps people need to start thinking of a MS as buying a video game console they can ride in. If you buy it for the games you want, as opposed to what's actually released, then be prepared for a wait. That is the chance you take with this kind of tech. In other words, buy for what's tangible as opposed to what's coming.

The MS is a good car, that is successful, despite the huge hurdles it took to get it off the ground. The downside to the momentum is the very real growing pains. It isn't a side issue, it is THE issue. People need to be more realistic about what to expect from them at this point. I would argue the majority of perspective buyers are smart enough to understand this is a new startup with something special on it's hands. But still a start up.

A couple of other points: Even with 100 years + over Tesla, most of the auto companies still have hit and miss service and cars with defects. I currently own a F-type, a Porsche cayenne and a Audi S5. Everyone one of them has has some small issue to deal with. The ironic part? Even with dealers within 5 miles of my home, it's easier for me to get service done by a ranger (closes SC is 110 miles away) then take my ICE cars in locally.

And...who cross shops a 100k car with a 35k car? (MS/Volt)? I can't believe many do.

More like the other way around. BMW, Mercedes, and the rest are light years ahead of Tesla in most areas except the drive train. That's the reality. Once the others have an EV with comparable range, Tesla is going to be in serious trouble.

I see this said from time to time, but I don't completely agree. In terms of UI, I think Tesla's control suite is far better than any of their competitors offerings. iDrive Touch is so awkward compared to the Tesla interface. COMAND is much better than the BMW system, but still much more cumbersome than Tesla. The fit and finish and level of polish on the interior are obviously far better on the German cars and there are plenty of systems where Tesla is probably a small amount behind, but others where Tesla is ahead, like GPS integration with suspension height and homelink.

You are certainly right that all automakers have been working on driver assist features like Autopilot for a long time, well before Tesla. There is a real chance that Tesla successfully fields an autopilot system that leapfrogs everyone, if it delivers what has been promised.

The fit and finish and level of polish on the interior are obviously far better on the German cars and there are plenty of systems where Tesla is probably a small amount behind, but others where Tesla is ahead, like GPS integration with suspension height and homelink.

People keep saying it but I can't see it. My wife has an A6 and my father an RS7 , neither of which is an S550, but both of those cases I'd say that the P85D compares just fine. The Tesla has a simpler design aesthetic but visually the quality is very comparable. Yes Tesla did a few dumb things (cupholders, storage & console) but on the other side I find the Audi to be too busy, with buttons, gizmos and lights all over the place. I absolutely prefer the Tesla.

Yes Tesla did a few dumb things (cupholders, storage & console) but on the other side I find the Audi to be too busy, with buttons, gizmos and lights all over the place. I absolutely prefer the Tesla.

I agree with you that by putting essentially all of the controls on the touchscreen, Tesla has achieved a very clean aesthetic and I share your view that it is pleasing. But I can't imagine anyone preferring the plastic accent panels on the Tesla to the wood veneers on the A6, or the quality of the leather or the placements of the armrests or the all plastic door panels compared to the leather covered ones.

I agree with you that by putting essentially all of the controls on the touchscreen, Tesla has achieved a very clean aesthetic and I share your view that it is pleasing. But I can't imagine anyone preferring the plastic accent panels on the Tesla to the wood veneers on the A6, or the quality of the leather or the placements of the armrests or the all plastic door panels compared to the leather covered ones.

The placement of the armrests fits right up there on the list of dumb things. I agree.

As to the rest of the bits and bobs... I quite like the door panels. It would be virtually impossible to construct that sort of geometry any other way. Again, I find the Audi setup complex and overly fussy. Just preferences I suppose.

I certainly prefer the tesla NG seats to the Audi seats. They don't have the massaging feature of the RS7, but honestly that seems like a bit of a goofy feature to me.