Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot needs control from the steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I’m just not understanding, but wouldn’t you just use the accelerator or brake to change speed and then simply re-engage AP?

You can't set the speed at less than the speed limit that way if the car knows the speed limit. It defaults to the speed limit.

So traffic is going 30 in a 70 and you want max cruise at 40, you engage cruise while driving 40, it will set at 70 and you have to click the screen to lower it.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
You can't set the speed at less than the speed limit that way if the car knows the speed limit. It defaults to the speed limit.

So traffic is going 30 in a 70 and you want max cruise at 40, you engage cruise while driving 40, it will set at 70 and you have to click the screen to lower it.
Curious if it does that with the standard cruise control as well.

Is it really like that? Seems silly if it is. I imagine it could be some easy programming to say if your current speed is within some small difference to the recognized speed limit, set it to the speed limit. Then, if the difference between the recognized speed limit and current speed is greater than some value, set it to the current speed. They way you explain it behaving is definitely asking for trouble if someone is not paying close attention.

I just need to be able to adjust max speed down without disengage AP, especially when you see a sharp curve or heavy traffic ahead. I may need to pay attention to road and traffic. Adjusting it without looking at the screen would be ideal.
If you need to adjust your speed down for a sharp curve you were probably going too fast anyway.

I use autopilot all the time on my X and rely heavily on the stalk to make both minor and major adjustments in speed. I probably have travelled over 20K plus miles with autopilot activated. Typically when I need to adjust speed - I need to do it quickly. The need to use the screen for tweaking speed control adjustment seems like a really bad design. Hopefully they will quickly enable one of the steering wheel buttons to make these adjustments. I haven't driven the Model 3 yet, but everything else about the screen control seems okay to me. This one seems brain dead.

Is it really like that? Seems silly if it is. I imagine it could be some easy programming to say if your current speed is within some small difference to the recognized speed limit, set it to the speed limit. Then, if the difference between the recognized speed limit and current speed is greater than some value, set it to the current speed. They way you explain it behaving is definitely asking for trouble if someone is not paying close attention.

It appears to be like that. After encountering the behavior in 20mph traffic on a 70mph speed limit road, I then searched the manual to see if I was missing something. It seems to be related to Speed assist, which I have turned to "off", so I can't figure out how to avoid the behavior.

The assumption is that if the speed limit is 65 and you are currently going 25 in traffic, you want the car to speed up to 65 when the traffic speeds up, not stay driving 25. This is just for TACC, not normal cruise control. It works fine for me. If you're stuck in traffic, then it doesn't really matter what the max is anyway.

Reactions: bhzmark
I use autopilot all the time on my X and rely heavily on the stalk to make both minor and major adjustments in speed. I probably have travelled over 20K plus miles with autopilot activated. Typically when I need to adjust speed - I need to do it quickly. The need to use the screen for tweaking speed control adjustment seems like a really bad design. Hopefully they will quickly enable one of the steering wheel buttons to make these adjustments. I haven't driven the Model 3 yet, but everything else about the screen control seems okay to me. This one seems brain dead.

I think the screen control works fine for the minor adjustments. For more major adjustments it's definitely easier on the 3 to cancel out of TACC and then re-enable.

Hmmmm..... I need to rethink about my M3 purchase plan. AP was my main motivation for Tesla

The need to use the screen for tweaking speed control adjustment seems like a really bad design. Hopefully they will quickly enable one of the steering wheel buttons to make these adjustments. I haven't driven the Model 3 yet, but everything else about the screen control seems okay to me. This one seems brain dead

I will say it bluntly.

It's an idiotic design only a moron could have conceived.

Reactions: LCR1 and BillO
Again moving the control to the little scroll wheel isn't much better either. It should be with the stalk.

Because the scroll wheels may not have the same level of fine control and simplicity as a stalk.. When I change the volume I often end up overdoing it, which ends up in a few corrections before I get what I want. You can't afford to the same thing on AP speed controls.

I've done some longer drives using auto steer in my 3. The longest being 100 miles. I had no problem adjusting the speed by tapping the screen. I do not think its as big of a deal as many are making it out to be. Could be a case of old dog/new tricks for some drivers. That said, the right side scroll wheel should definitely have more functions and I'm sure it will come with time.

I've done some longer drives using auto steer in my 3. The longest being 100 miles. I had no problem adjusting the speed by tapping the screen. I do not think its as big of a deal as many are making it out to be. Could be a case of old dog/new tricks for some drivers. That said, the right side scroll wheel should definitely have more functions and I'm sure it will come with time.

The primary reason I think this is a bad design is the use case where traffic speed limits drop rapidly. This might be due to a curve or just slower speed limits overall. If you are following another car TACC does a fine job -but if the car you are following suddenly leaves your lane - you suddenly have clear sailing and the car accelerates rapidly. Of course, braking is the fast reliable solution to the problem - but I find the stalk to be very effective as well. The stalk control allows you to keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road. Having to use the screen forces attention away from the road when you really should be most attentive - rapidly changing traffic circumstances. I will no doubt adapt but it just seems like a bad design choice.

Again moving the control to the little scroll wheel isn't much better either. It should be with the stalk.

Because the scroll wheels may not have the same level of fine control and simplicity as a stalk.. When I change the volume I often end up overdoing it, which ends up in a few corrections before I get what I want. You can't afford to the same thing on AP speed controls.
That can’t work because while your S has a dedicated stalk, Model 3 only has a single stalk

That can’t work because while your S has a dedicated stalk, Model 3 only has a single stalk
More the reason I think the choice of just one stalk forced them to come up with UI kludge, and in that case we are stuck with this design. Moving that function to scroll wheels to me I believe gets you different set of problems.

But then when I keep muttering, "innovation, innovation.." I don't feel that bad.. :).

Actually it would be far superior to the stalk in my opinion. The Model S is the only car I've driven that has had CC speed adjustments on a stalk, and I've never liked it. Every other car I've driven has had buttons, which I prefer.