Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on long straight highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on a long trip from Massachusetts to North Carolina with 2022.24.6 in a 2020 LR MS. I have used the AP a lot over the last few years and love it. On part of this trip I am driving on roads with few cars and gentle turns. While I keep my hands on the wheel and eyes forward I keep getting the error message about keeping hands on the wheel and then finally it shuts off. I try to “wiggle” the wheel every so often but that does not solve the problem. It feels like I need a death grip on the wheel to keep this from happening. My hands stay much more relaxed just using Adaptive Cruise Control But that defeats the purpose of the AP. Any suggestions that others have used to overcome this problem? Thanks.

It’s a matter of technique. You don’t need a death grip, you just need to notice when you’re getting nagged and tug the wheel slightly. The fact that you got kicked out of AP means you didn’t respond to the nags. My 2018 S doesn’t have an interior camera so where I’m looking doesn’t matter.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Thanks. I do catch the warnings but maybe not all of them or not in time. I’ll try to be more attentive but I really like to get able to just concentrate on the cars around me when on AP. Just a tweak in procedure.

Also appreciate the “holding” positions. I will see which one works most comfortably in the MS.

I never had this problem before 2022.22.4 with TV. Fingers crossed that your suggestions work. Again, thanks.

Another method for letting the car know you're still paying attention is to toggle one of the scroll wheels on the steering wheel. I find it much easier than trying to find the right balance of wiggling the wheel just enough so the car knows I'm there but not too much to kick me out of AP.

• Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4
Another method for letting the car know you're still paying attention is to toggle one of the scroll wheels on the steering wheel. I find it much easier than trying to find the right balance of wiggling the wheel just enough so the car knows I'm there but not too much to kick me out of AP.
Curiously, using the scroll wheels does not always clear the nag.

Reactions: Big Earl and Vines
Thanks. I do catch the warnings but maybe not all of them or not in time. I’ll try to be more attentive but I really like to get able to just concentrate on the cars around me when on AP. Just a tweak in procedure.

Also appreciate the “holding” positions. I will see which one works most comfortably in the MS.

I never had this problem before 2022.22.4 with TV. Fingers crossed that your suggestions work. Again, thanks.
Yeah, I know, but I i’m halfway through a 4,500-mile highway trip and maintaining the proper “I’m here” wheel grip over many hours at a time in my 2016 S just got too annoying:

It’s a matter of technique. You don’t need a death grip, you just need to notice when you’re getting nagged and tug the wheel slightly. The fact that you got kicked out of AP means you didn’t respond to the nags. My 2018 S doesn’t have an interior camera so where I’m looking doesn’t matter.
yes, and same with me on the older MX. Maybe there is a difference in the amount of torque from car to car (guessing). For me, I almost never get a nag. My left hand is resting on the lower left corner (about 8 O'clock position) of the wheel and for me, that is just enough torque to prevent a nag and my hand rests comfortably there.

Tesla doesn't do a the greatest job of explaining this in layman's terms. Many people get the warning and they squeeze the wheel tighter thinking that that the car is looking for some pressure indication your hands are on the wheel.

What Tesla wants is torque/rotational/circular resistance about the wheel (regardless of direction). It doesn't matter how hard you grip the wheel, the car wants to feel like it is working against your lightly applied force, regardless if it is toward or against the direction the car wants to steer.

However, too much rotational force and the car will disengage Autopilot/FSD.

Tesla doesn't do a the greatest job of explaining this in layman's terms. Many people get the warning and they squeeze the wheel tighter thinking that that the car is looking for some pressure indication your hands are on the wheel.

What Tesla wants is torque/rotational/circular resistance about the wheel (regardless of direction). It doesn't matter how hard you grip the wheel, the car wants to feel like it is working against your lightly applied force, regardless if it is toward or against the direction the car wants to steer.

However, too much rotational force and the car will disengage Autopilot/FSD.
So I am driving on EAP, letting it control the steering of the car, and I am in a situation where precise control of steering is necessary, such as in a descending turn into a visible dip in the road, and I am supposed to provide invalid instructions to the steering wheel to keep EAP from disengaging? I don't think so.

So I am driving on EAP, letting it control the steering of the car, and I am in a situation where precise control of steering is necessary, such as in a descending turn into a visible dip in the road, and I am supposed to provide invalid instructions to the steering wheel to keep EAP from disengaging? I don't think so.
Definitely not. The good news is you don’t to apply constant torque. Just apply it most of the time.

Reactions: DarkForest
yes, and same with me on the older MX. Maybe there is a difference in the amount of torque from car to car (guessing). For me, I almost never get a nag. My left hand is resting on the lower left corner (about 8 O'clock position) of the wheel and for me, that is just enough torque to prevent a nag and my hand rests comfortably there.
That’s pretty much the technique I used. However, after some hours, it gets uncomfortable, and I’ve accidentally disengaged several times. Really wish Tesla would switch to a pupil tracking camera, which seems to work very well for Ford, GM, etc…

Reactions: Vines