Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on long straight highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, so you're using active defeat measures on BOTH driver monitoring systems in the car :)

Oh, hey, in related news-

GM Super Cruise drivers are the most likely to engage in distracted driving behaviors while using partial-automated driving software when compared to Tesla Autopilot and Nissan ProPILOT drivers
and
ProPILOT and Autopilot users were more likely to have had their hands on the wheel when these interventions were needed, and Super Cruise drivers were less likely to have their hands on the wheel

Turns out the hands-free L2 systems drivers are actually less safe! WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED?!

This is exactly how I feel. I drive 150-350 miles. A day and the amount of times I’ve kicked AP off is ridiculous. A friend did go into a gaurd rail at an exit because of this.

Torque on the wheel is more dangerous than a weight and effective eye tracking.
Agree. I got a wheel weight and pay plenty good attention and it makes the autopilot actually nice. without the weight having to mess with the wheel I've had it kick out on me from too much pressure or have to mess with volume or cruise speeds constantly. Stock its like a tease and seems nice but overall it's not great having to mess with it all the time.

That being said first few hundred miles i drove with it it worked great and no nags or anything ever i'd mess with the wheel just a little from time to time but tonight it warned me once and said keep both hands on the wheel and a short time later said autosteer unavailable the rest of the drive without any blue flashing and just had a red wheel and said hold steering wheel to drive manual.

Sucks because the weight actually is a game changer and not just a tease like stock autopilot is with having to mess with the wheel every 30 seconds.

I'm not sure why it messed up today but it was disappointing.

• Love
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Agree. I got a wheel weight and pay plenty good attention and it makes the autopilot actually nice. without the weight having to mess with the wheel I've had it kick out on me from too much pressure or have to mess with volume or cruise speeds constantly. Stock its like a tease and seems nice but overall it's not great having to mess with it all the time.

That being said first few hundred miles i drove with it it worked great and no nags or anything ever i'd mess with the wheel just a little from time to time but tonight it warned me once and said keep both hands on the wheel and a short time later said autosteer unavailable the rest of the drive without any blue flashing and just had a red wheel and said hold steering wheel to drive manual.

Sucks because the weight actually is a game changer and not just a tease like stock autopilot is with having to mess with the wheel every 30 seconds.

I'm not sure why it messed up today but it was disappointing.

What year is your car and what version software? I use AP every day and all I do is rest my left hand on the bottom of the wheel and I rarely if ever get any nags. If I do it’s only on super long straightaways and I’ll normally just adjust the volume up and down real quick instead of wiggling the wheel.

Which software are you running? Defeat devices are detected and ongoing use not allowed, on the FSD Beta release path. (I would assume even in the normal release path they would also do these checks soon, if they have not already.)
I have a ‘22 MYP and have gotten the defeat device warning twice. No strikes. APnever disabled. We need to figure out what year and models are getting strikes and why some aren’t.