Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on long straight highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One hand, continuously hanging on the wheel, usually between 9 to 6 o'clock or 3 to 6 o'clock. Usually my right hand hanging on the outside of the wheel around 4 or 5 o'clock. You need a position on the wheel such that your pull on the wheel is enough to avoid nags altogether and not enough to disengage Autosteer. I drive that way for hours at a time on the interstates. Much easier than a normal manual grip, and you have immediate control if AP screws up, including feeling the wheel turn unexpectedly.

Better than buying the super illegal "Tesla Buddy"...
It’s not illegal; there’s no specific law against it or, as far as I know, disabling driver monitoring systems in general. The NHTSA— you know, the same people that routinely prohibit the use of major safety features like matrix LED headlights— has issued a “cease and desist” order against the original Tesla Buddy, but imitations are still widely available.

Using it may or may not be a good idea. YMMV. Recall the original Autopilot had no driving monitoring feature; it was added when people started doing Insanely Stupid Things™.

Reactions: Big Earl
One hand, continuously hanging on the wheel, usually between 9 to 6 o'clock or 3 to 6 o'clock. Usually my right hand hanging on the outside of the wheel around 4 or 5 o'clock. You need a position on the wheel such that your pull on the wheel is enough to avoid nags altogether and not enough to disengage Autosteer. I drive that way for hours at a time on the interstates. Much easier than a normal manual grip, and you have immediate control if AP screws up, including feeling the wheel turn unexpectedly.
That’s precisely what I did, but after a couple of hours I start having shoulder and wrist pain. I can shift arms in an attempt to mitigate this, but why should I have to?

I have no such problem driving one of my manual cars for hours in similar conditions. Perhaps it’s the small movements of both arms when making steering corrections.

It’s not illegal; there’s no specific law against it or, as far as I know, disabling driver monitoring systems in general. The NHTSA— you know, the same people that routinely prohibit the use of major safety features like matrix LED headlights— has issued a “cease and desist” order against the original Tesla Buddy, but imitations are still widely available.

Using it may or may not be a good idea. YMMV. Recall the original Autopilot had no driving monitoring feature; it was added when people started doing Insanely Stupid Things™.
Exactly, I feel like the failures of the driver monitoring system to be predictable are so as to prevent abuse. I hope it works for that, because the unintended consequences are frustrating to me.
In general I don't think trying to hack the system is a good idea, so adding dead weight is the wrong approach.

It’s not illegal; there’s no specific law against it

I mean, there actually is. Defeating safety devices is federally illegal.

News story said:
NHTSA says it's illegal for a device to restrict vehicle safety feature

I mean, there actually is. Defeating safety devices is federally illegal.

As best I can tell, while selling such devices might be illegal, simply owning and using them is not. Of course it’s possible I missed something, so if you can cite the specific Federal law…

I thought I had the wheel pressure thing figured out, but I guess not. I had a Forced AP Disengagement, and now it seems like I cant figure out how much pressure it wants on the wheel. Constant pressure doesn't work, and it seems like too much work to try to do it intermittently. I guess I will quit using it. The car is easy enough to drive while on TACC.

I thought I had the wheel pressure thing figured out, but I guess not. I had a Forced AP Disengagement, and now it seems like I cant figure out how much pressure it wants on the wheel. Constant pressure doesn't work, and it seems like too much work to try to do it intermittently. I guess I will quit using it. The car is easy enough to drive while on TACC.

it doesn't require any 'pressure on the wheel'

It's a torque sensor- it's looking for resistance to turning, not pressure.

As you say it is responding to the torque applied to the wheel but that is resistance to turning. Not to be confused with grip pressure. Maintaining a specific torque resistance can be more tiring than the very loose grip I use while driving on the highway. If the Tesla is now employing eye tracking why doesn’t Tesla use this rather than torque resistance like Cadillac does?

As you say it is responding to the torque applied to the wheel but that is resistance to turning. Not to be confused with grip pressure. Maintaining a specific torque resistance can be more tiring than the very loose grip I use while driving on the highway. If the Tesla is now employing eye tracking why doesn’t Tesla use this rather than torque resistance like Cadillac does?

Because that HW was never intended for that actual purpose, and kind of sucks at it. It can't see in the dark (Caddy uses IR), it can't see the entire driver plus hands and arms nearly as well (Caddys -and Fords- cameras for this are right behind the steering wheel with full view of driver and arms/hands), and it has no way to see through sunglasses either (Caddys does).

The only reason they're really doing eye tracking with it despite it not being meant for that is the EU has a rule that will REQUIRE more advanced driver monitoring than the torque sensor (I think either this year or next)-- repurposing the interior cam for this saves them the cost and trouble of developing an entirely new setup and installing it in new cars rather than using what's already there as "good enough" for the legal requirement.... even the US has considered requiring such a system- and NTSB has long criticized Tesla as needing more driver monitoring so it helps shut them up too.

But it's not nearly as good as a dedicated system with a much more advanced camera setup actually installed in the right place.

I enjoy this product quite a bit, on these kinds of occasions. Always paying full attention, this allows me to easily go into long safe highway driving modes with hands resting on my lap

I enjoy this product quite a bit, on these kinds of occasions. Always paying full attention, this allows me to easily go into long safe highway driving modes with hands resting on my lap

OMG you are so illegal. How dare you! 🤣

I mean, MANY people drive 1mph over the posted speed limit. Thats on the books as illegal.
Not a SINGLE person has posted an actual statute from any state showing and proving the devices are illegal.

And no...NHTSA does not create laws themselves...

"NHTSA issues Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards"

Also, Ive found this one (for non yokes) to be better than the ring one. Can leave it on all the time/doesnt touch your hand when installed. Weight is all on the backside. Very unobtrusive.

And you the driver are 100% accountable for your cars actions whether with AP off or on, FSD off or on, weight off or on. Doesnt matter. Driver is 100% accountable at all times. So if Im going to be accountable and accept it, then Im going to continue to install whatever I want to on it.

That’s pretty much the technique I used. However, after some hours, it gets uncomfortable, and I’ve accidentally disengaged several times. Really wish Tesla would switch to a pupil tracking camera, which seems to work very well for Ford, GM, etc…
On the 3 / Y FSD beta does use the camera. Especially if it sees you with your phone.

OMG you are so illegal. How dare you! 🤣

I mean, MANY people drive 1mph over the posted speed limit. Thats on the books as illegal.
Not a SINGLE person has posted an actual statute from any state showing and proving the devices are illegal.

And no...NHTSA does not create laws themselves...

"NHTSA issues Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards"
Terrible stuff I tell ya. I even run a car tire on the back of the motorcycle.

1664985493827.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy

I agree. got mine on Etsy since I couldn't find a legit one online. Seriously the best purchase i've made. I drive 150-350 miles a day, probably about 30% of it being with FSD Beta active.

Personally, I find it more dangerous to keep your hand on the wheel, or give it nudges when it nags. AP and FSD Beta move the wheel way to fast and way too often. wiggling your wheel or scrolling the wheel when its in motion is straight up dangerous. kicking your car outta AP/FSD mid turn is a recipe for disaster.

I'm fully aware of what's going on around me, and im not a threat to other drivers.
People are ridiculous whenever you mention the wheel weight.