Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will either level of autopilot protect you from (stupidly) stopping for a red light then trying to proceed through it? I did that yesterday, driving unassisted, and nearly got hit in a railway crossing. If, for example, I had been using FSD, the car would have stopped at the light. Too stupid to realize that a train was coming, could I have forced accelerated my way onto the tracks before the guard arms came down?

Hmm. So far I have no experience with FSD at train crossings. But I've seen that basic autopilot is intended for highways and I would not expect it to 'do the right thing' at a railroad crossing. FSD *should* take care of you there, but maybe getting run over by a train is one of those edge cases not yet programmed in.

Upvote 0
Hmm. So far I have no experience with FSD at train crossings. But I've seen that basic autopilot is intended for highways and I would not expect it to 'do the right thing' at a railroad crossing. FSD *should* take care of you there, but maybe getting run over by a train is one of those edge cases not yet programmed in.
FSD beta has supported train crossings for over a year now...maybe longer. Stops at rail crossings with lights on and gates down while train passes. Proceeds when everything is clear.

Upvote 0