Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot question on 2014 S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I have a deposit on a pre-owned Model S- with Tech and Autopilot. Quick question on autopilot. When in autopilot, does the car observe speed limits?

I've tried doing a web search on this and it appears, based on my understanding, you are limited to only 5 MPH over the speed limit, if the speed limit is available via the GPS. Am I correct?

Sort of. For cruise control most people have their settings set to 5 miles an hour over the speed limit. I believe you can go from less than to up to 10 miles per hour over the speed limit. Haven't changed it since I said it a long time ago!

When you add Auto steer, which most people call autopilot, it's sometimes not accurate. For instance non-active school zones are still set to 20. And, of course it sometimes just misses. Much much better than it used to be though. The improvements in autopilot since I've owned my car, also a 2014, but I've only owned it for the last year, are amazing. And if that's what you mean by autopilot, yes, it is limited to 5 miles an hour over the speed limit. With one exception, on divided highways you can set it to whatever you want.

Sort of. For cruise control most people have their settings set to 5 miles an hour over the speed limit. I believe you can go from less than to up to 10 miles per hour over the speed limit. Haven't changed it since I said it a long time ago!

When you add Auto steer, which most people call autopilot, it's sometimes not accurate. For instance non-active school zones are still set to 20. And, of course it sometimes just misses. Much much better than it used to be though. The improvements in autopilot since I've owned my car, also a 2014, but I've only owned it for the last year, are amazing. And if that's what you mean by autopilot, yes, it is limited to 5 miles an hour over the speed limit. With one exception, on divided highways you can set it to whatever you want.

That's the answer I was hoping to hear!