Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot raised at PMQs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was there an actual incident that led to Alan Brown raising this at PMQs?

I can only find this article online after searching for "Tesla Autopilot Kilmarnock Crash Dangerous":

Only a small amount of info in the article but appears that his constituent said he thinks autopilot on his car is dangerous and shouldn't be allowed on UK roads as it's a beta.

Reactions: spdpsba
Was there an actual incident that led to Alan Brown raising this at PMQs?

Probably daily.

I hadn't *sugar* my pants since the age of 6 until auto lane change decided to abort a lane change mid way through. Auto lane change in certain scenario can behave exactly as described in PMQ quote above. Typical poor implementation by Tesla, but you soon learn quickly when and when not to use it to avoid running out of underwear. Unfortunately, most road users have yet to cotton on to random behaviour of some vehicles, or some drivers for that matter, but defensive driving can only go so far to protect you from some unexpected behaviour by vehicle systems or drivers.

Reactions: WllXM and Pandinium
Probably daily.

I hadn't *sugar* my pants since the age of 6 until auto lane change decided to abort a lane change mid way through. Auto lane change in certain scenario can behave exactly as described in PMQ quote above. Typical poor implementation by Tesla, but you soon learn quickly when and when not to use it to avoid running out of underwear. Unfortunately, most road users have yet to cotton on to random behaviour of some vehicles, or some drivers for that matter, but defensive driving can only go so far to protect you from some unexpected behaviour by vehicle systems or drivers.
This. As the driver, you have to second guess AP in certain situations and have had to do so for the last four years which is one hell of a long beta test.

Reactions: MrT3
As the driver, you have to second guess AP in certain situations

I would feel confident that I could anticipate anything that a novice 17 year old driver might do on their first drive, and be ready/able to intervene ...
... whereas I have zero confidence that I can anticipate what an AI program might do. In particular such a huge proportion of the time it does "just fine" - thus complacency is also a risk

I go past the same size / colour / shape / sun angle of jugganaughts for hours, and then it freaks out at the next one. Or the shadow of a bridge (never had that, but I know others have)

I use ChatGPT to write lots of software (for my work). 1-in-10 requests the answer is garbage. Definitely don't have complacency with that!

Tom Lesley has had 40 books published between Feb and Apr 2023 ... must be a rock star ... or:

... amused me to see the review left by Simone Giuri on this one:

Reactions: Sparkeur
I use it (EAP) for well over 90% of my weekly commute (150ish miles) in the day, at night and in all weather. Rarely have a problem and apart from the lane change being an issue sometimes, think it’s amazing.
I would tend to agree, though I only have normal AP. The only issue I ever have with it is that it's slow to react to the car in front speeding up, which tends to annoy other drivers behind and/or ends up with people cutting in front of me. Putting aside that minor annoyance, I also use it every time I get on a dual carriageway in all weathers & conditions (except snow, before anyone jumps in...).

I don't doubt other people have had issues, but my personal experience with AP has been very good. Fewer people tend to post about things just working, than those who have issues.

Sounds like it's just as well I don't use it that much & actually enjoy driving the car for what it is :rolleyes:
Yup, driving the car is a pleasure. I've taken a dozen 1000 trips to Spain and back and enjoy AP and (fool) FSD, engaged maybe 80% of the time, and know its foibles. Random acts of AP violence have decreased rapidly in the last year. It's for motorways and it won't lane change unless you tell it to. If find AP/FSD on the long hauls to be a definite benefit.

FSD I would ban. However IMHO autopilot which is really just auto cruise control works well - no phantom braking anymore. I agree that it fails to pull away soon enough when traffic moves. Sign recognition is much better. The only bit I would get rid of is lane control - I don't believe it is necessary and in some cases is dangerous. At least in a Tesla you can disengage it...in my KIA its default is on so I have to disengage it every time I start the car. Engagement of 20mph autopilot is essential in London to avoid speeding fines.

Normal “dumb” cruise control would seem to be at risk in any legislation that would ban Autopilot. With lane keeping and steering wheel nags, Autopilot is probably safer.

Yes, auto lane changes are still too unreliable. I almost never use it to pull back alongside or in front of a lorry, or to pull out into a lane with faster moving vehicles.

I think the next big improvement will come when the unified FSD beta streets/highway software stack is rolled out here, even if FSD beta is not enabled.

I would tend to agree, though I only have normal AP. The only issue I ever have with it is that it's slow to react to the car in front speeding up, which tends to annoy other drivers behind and/or ends up with people cutting in front of me. Putting aside that minor annoyance, I also use it every time I get on a dual carriageway in all weathers & conditions (except snow, before anyone jumps in...).

I don't doubt other people have had issues, but my personal experience with AP has been very good. Fewer people tend to post about things just working, than those who have issues.
Apologies for those that already know this but you can press the accelerator to speed the car up whilst still in AP. Bit of a pain but it does help in this scenario.

Apologies for those that already know this but you can press the accelerator to speed the car up whilst still in AP. Bit of a pain but it does help in this scenario.
Yes, I do that most of the time but it defeats the purpose of using AP (or more specifically the cruise control). It also causes the cruise control to let off speed when you release the accelerator, which often ends up causing yoyoing with the car in front. The cruise control in my ID3 was hugely superior in keeping with traffic. It would match the speed very well with cars in front & keep the gap mostly uniform.

About time some more attention was drawn to this, might give Tesla the kick up the backside to improve the performance and stop labelling everything as a BETA as cover for subpar software.
The DVLA's Vehicle licencing software was refreshed nearly 10 years ago and is still in beta
1683641086837.png

I appreciate that there is no safety related issue here but the govt is on thin ice when it comes to talking about beta software...

In other news, autonomous buses being trialled on a unique route in Scotland, so legislation will have to change at some point…which will no doubt exacerbate the debate on different manufacturers quality of autopilot