Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Retrofit on Classic P85 - Done by wizkid057!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't see a post on this yet... but he did it:

Autopilot Retrofit on Classic P85 | wk057's SkieNET

Just read Autopilot Retrofit on Classic P85 | wk057's SkieNET and I have a comment, not to wk057, but responding to wk057's last statement in his post:
wk057 said:
Now, I know the next big question: How much did it cost? Well, not counting my own labor, all together the project cost less than $9,000. That includes costs for parts from Tesla and salvage vehicles, along with getting the windshield installed, the rear bumper cover painted and re-wrapped yellow.

Again, don’t expect to go into Tesla and start demanding they retrofit autopilot. It’s not going to happen. It’s way too much work, and way too involved. Also, if Tesla were to do it they would be replacing basically every wiring harness/fuse box in the car vs. making some modifications like I did, which would be even more work and extremely expensive. I did this as a sort of proof-of-concept, and because I wanted my wife to have autopilot but didn’t want to trade her car in. It shows that it can in fact be done with substantial effort.
I'm not expecting Tesla to bend to my or anybody's demands, but theoretically, the simpler modifications wk057 did vs. the replacing the harnesses could be done in a retrofit; in my opinion, a Tesla-designed retrofit could be made to make a new set of parts that is purely optimized for retrofit, rather than getting a pure as-same parts for the AP native cars, and gain the parts advantages that wk057 designed into his retrofit for his wife's car. And finally, on top of this, Tesla could then go and specify these retrofits to a competitive bed of third parties that are willing to do the labor and facilities for this type of work, and then those third parties (businesses) could set their own prices for this work. So, ballparking making wild guesses, Tesla engineering on this would have some cost, so that would inflate the retrofit-specific parts a bit, so let's say the materials and outside help that wk057 paid $9,000 would actually come to, considering that some of that could be economies of scale for the professional retrofitter and some of that was already pre-inflated by Tesla and some of it would need more engineering priced in, let's say $12,000, but let's assume Tesla is a-hole and ups it to $13,000 just for the hell of it (like is their way). Then, the pro retrofitter has to make profit, has facilities, etc., so, all-told, $20,000. The next year, with volume and negotiating prices down at Tesla and after Tesla has recouped their engineering costs AND they see the value of their older cars being propped up which will cut into new sales but not really because that market segment still gets new stuff all the time and then the whole model line has better value to those people so it's a positive, Tesla is open to making the retrofit part prices less of a profit center, and with capital costs better paid, the professional retrofitters can drop price to around $12,000, eventually in a few more years to about $8,500 or so. That's my wild lack of information estimate. I think it's possible.

Do I think anybody will do it, soon? Not for Model S or X, but for Model 3 in its massive quantities? Maybe, if anything becomes a retrofit benefit ever, but Model 3 will come with a lot of stuff already in it. Probably yes, if something really innovative happens after a few years.

I think by the time these pre-AP cars get a few years older, it won't be worth it to retrofit them any more. I'm already seeing used pre-AP cars on the CPO site for not much more than double ($46K) what I estimate it would be to retrofit them ($20K), and the step up to a new car is the same as my estimated retrofit cost ($20K), so it seems pointless. Sad to say.

If I were Elon, I'd be tempted to make it available to retrofit the entire fleet, just for the point of it. But, I don't have all the labor costs and environmental costs from retrofitting them all staring at me in the face. Plus, that's a sunk cost, and doesn't benefit the goals of Tesla: he'd be using real profit money Tesla's currently getting from people upgrading to newer cars instead for the old car owners for actual materials and labor rather than investing into Model 3 engineering, and that's bad.

So, in effect, wk057 is right.

The reason why Tesla is quickly and purposefully making their own cars obsolete as quickly as possible, among other things, is pretty simple and obvious, IMO: they just need to sell more new cars. Every car that something major is retrofitted to is a potential loss of a sale for them. Every unusable Tesla vehicle that's repaired and put back on the road is a potential loss of a sale. Why would they want to do anything to make any of these things easier when they don't benefit Tesla?

I think people sometimes lose site of the fact that, regardless of their ideals and overall mission, Tesla is a publicly traded for-profit corporation, and in all cases will behave accordingly regardless of what PR/marketing spin in put on their behavior.

Mark my words: Tesla is not going to retrofit autopilot on to older Model S. It's just not going to happen because it makes no sense for them to do so when so many existing owners are so willing to take a financial bath to trade-up to the latest and greatest. Sure, they'll offer little retrofits like the new seats, console, and maybe even eventually the new headlights, just because it looks good for them to do so and gets people blowing the goodwill out of proportion in a positive way for Tesla during word-of-mouth marketing. But they're not going to do anything major that's more than just a one or two component swap. Because, again, this makes no sense for them. Why sell someone a $20,000 autopilot retrofit that they might make a few thousand in profit on when they can instead push selling a $70k+ vehicle. Which do you think looks better on the bottom line?

Tesla's pushing to sell 2000+ Model S/X per *week* right now... and that's great for them... but to make those numbers they're going to actually have to work for it for a change, and they know it. The referral program. The constant email marketing pushing the latest and greatest. The phone marketing (for example, a friend of mine who went on my first test drive several years ago received multiple calls over the past month trying to sell him an S/X. He has no intention of buying any time soon.). The one-upping of the highest margin models (how many people do you think are going to be jumping on the P100D now?). And in another 6-8 weeks they'll announce something else to drum up demand and attention again.

I personally don't think any of this should be much of a surprise to anyone, but it seems there are some distinct groups of people when it comes to Tesla, and too many tend to believe Tesla is in it for the benefit of others and not Tesla themselves... which simply isn't the case. I like Tesla just as much as the next guy, but lets keep it realistic.

Anyway, not sure where I was going with this. Just always remember that everything Tesla does is done for the purpose of selling more new cars, and, when you accept that, their rationale on things they do makes a lot of sense. Edit: I'm also not saying this is a bad thing. Seriously, good for you, Tesla.

Last edited:
wk057 - I completely agree with you. I have a related question. Would you think that it would be technically possible for someone like you to integrate a mobileye 560 hardware into the tesla software/display (for alerts, cruise control adjustment and headlights control only, - no autopilot or TACC or emergengy breaking). I have a 2013 Model 85S with mobileye. I have never expected Tesla to offer autopilot retrofit, but given what you accomplished, my interest in dumping the mobileye display has increased and maybe technically is simpler and more likely for a third party to provide.

It's definitely true that they are a for-profit company. But that doesn't mean everything they do is for immediate or obvious gains. Opening up the patents is definitely an example of this.

Right now, they might not have the resources to pursue this (and maybe an Autopilot retrofit might be too much of a liability concern), but having a reputation for upgradability can be a sales-driver in the long-term.

It's definitely true that they are a for-profit company. But that doesn't mean everything they do is for immediate or obvious gains. Opening up the patents is definitely an example of this.

Right now, they might not have the resources to pursue this (and maybe an Autopilot retrofit might be too much of a liability concern), but having a reputation for upgradability can be a sales-driver in the long-term.

"Opening up the patents" was a publicity stunt... nothing more than the answer of the day to the question: What can we do to drum up some positive media attention? Tesla still holds all of their patents, and continues to file patents. Just because they took down their display wall of their patents and made a big deal about them being willing to work with others who want to use their IP doesn't constitute "opening up" IMO.

Again, obvious PR stunt is obvious.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Madness! and I want some.

One day my wife is going to come home and find "her" Tesla in the state of undress depicted in WK057's blog and she will kill me.
Yup. Someday.....

You might go blind, but here is the link: Autopilot Retrofit on Classic P85 | wk057's SkieNET

You are right. I AM BLIND. Excellent step by step pictorially. If Elon doesn't give this guy a medal, then no one should get one. The firmware tasks alone are rocket scientist worthy! :)

There are a lot of ways to make money. Choosing one that can do some social and/or environmental good is not something to be cynical about.

Certainly. As a three time Model S buyer and zero-ICE household I think I've more than put my money where my mouth is and am one of the last people to question the overall mission of getting EVs into more peoples' garages and driveways, and Tesla is by far doing the best at this task so far.

But let's be real, the means don't need to be sugar coated. To bring things back to the topic that started this sub-conversation, my main point was simply that Tesla isn't going to do a retrofit of a major feature like autopilot on to older vehicles because it's just not profitable to do so. People can spin this fact however they want, but at the end of the day it is what it is. As of now, the overall mission and the path to Tesla's profits actually align, which is great all around. But when push comes to shove, the latter must take precedence over the former, otherwise there would be no pursuing the mission at all.

I agree with everything in your last post. Profitability is a must in every step they take. Nothing is for charity. Nothing happens if there are no profits as a result. I know you have had some deeper interactions with Tesla that none of us have due to your projects. Or maybe I'm just getting the wrong vibe from your earlier posts, but they feel a bit too cynical and make it seem like it's the only thing that matters. I don't think that's true. I don't believe Tesla will make a move or decision that is profitable yet goes against the overall mission. Likewise, it's not going to do something that doesn't ultimately lead to profits. I'm curious - Have they done or said something to cause you to not agree with this sentiment?

Have they done or said something to cause you to not agree with this sentiment?

Since this will be getting a bit OT here, I won't go into a lot of detail on this... but suffice it to say I'm not entirely convinced that profits today aren't the top priority. While I'm not saying that Tesla will completely abandon the mission of advancing sustainable transport in pursuit of profit (like start manufacturing hybrids or something), I do believe they have proven on several past occasions that they have no problem with causing some customer dissatisfaction and/or doing things that would seem to go against the overall sense of good will that goes with that mission solely for the sake of short term gains. The unfortunate effect of such actions is eating away at the trust and good will of customers like myself who do believe in the mission, but have been stung by Tesla's approach and therefore proceed with and advise more caution than initially thought warranted when dealing with Tesla.

Again, I'm not going into specifics here, and a lot of my reasoning and feelings are already scattered in older posts throughout this forum. Suffice it to say, I agree with the mission, and I like Tesla. But I feel that in a list of Tesla's priorities, the mission has and always will fall, however slightly, just under "profit".

Last edited:
I see. I simply experienced a different side of the company because back in early 2013, they made a grand gesture to replace a perfectly-functional vehicle completely as good will. That move definitely did not result in any short-term profits for them.

Thanks for your insight. I respect you and your work so much that I really want to understand where you're coming from. I'll end it here to keep the OT stuff to minimum.

The reason why Tesla is quickly and purposefully making their own cars obsolete as quickly as possible, among other things, is pretty simple and obvious, IMO: they just need to sell more new cars. Every car that something major is retrofitted to is a potential loss of a sale for them. Every unusable Tesla vehicle that's repaired and put back on the road is a potential loss of a sale. Why would they want to do anything to make any of these things easier when they don't benefit Tesla?

I think people sometimes lose site of the fact that, regardless of their ideals and overall mission, Tesla is a publicly traded for-profit corporation, and in all cases will behave accordingly regardless of what PR/marketing spin in put on their behavior.

Mark my words: Tesla is not going to retrofit autopilot on to older Model S. It's just not going to happen because it makes no sense for them to do so when so many existing owners are so willing to take a financial bath to trade-up to the latest and greatest. Sure, they'll offer little retrofits like the new seats, console, and maybe even eventually the new headlights, just because it looks good for them to do so and gets people blowing the goodwill out of proportion in a positive way for Tesla during word-of-mouth marketing. But they're not going to do anything major that's more than just a one or two component swap. Because, again, this makes no sense for them. Why sell someone a $20,000 autopilot retrofit that they might make a few thousand in profit on when they can instead push selling a $70k+ vehicle. Which do you think looks better on the bottom line?

Tesla's pushing to sell 2000+ Model S/X per *week* right now... and that's great for them... but to make those numbers they're going to actually have to work for it for a change, and they know it. The referral program. The constant email marketing pushing the latest and greatest. The phone marketing (for example, a friend of mine who went on my first test drive several years ago received multiple calls over the past month trying to sell him an S/X. He has no intention of buying any time soon.). The one-upping of the highest margin models (how many people do you think are going to be jumping on the P100D now?). And in another 6-8 weeks they'll announce something else to drum up demand and attention again.

I personally don't think any of this should be much of a surprise to anyone, but it seems there are some distinct groups of people when it comes to Tesla, and too many tend to believe Tesla is in it for the benefit of others and not Tesla themselves... which simply isn't the case. I like Tesla just as much as the next guy, but lets keep it realistic.

Anyway, not sure where I was going with this. Just always remember that everything Tesla does is done for the purpose of selling more new cars, and, when you accept that, their rationale on things they do makes a lot of sense. Edit: I'm also not saying this is a bad thing. Seriously, good for you, Tesla.

First - hats off. Awesome job on the solar + the retrofit. I have a 4kw system looking to upgrade. Model 3 on order.
Agreed on above too. Musk needs to go back to the city for another few billion dollars. Both to fund Model 3 tooling + gigafactory. The shareprice needs to hold up (preferably above $200 to avoid too much dilution). Personally - I think the shareprice should be about $100 given the other automakers market caps and market share vs Tesla even given it's growth prospects and even if it executes flawlessly over the next 5 years.
The timing of the P100D is exactly timed to push this Q3 sales numbers higher. It's obviously a massive high margin car. I can't imagine the parts for a P100DL vs a bare bones P75D cost more than $3-5000 - but the retail price is almost 90% higher.

Finally - I wonder - and you probably won't want to answer this ... but do you imagine with your skills to:
1. revert the "behind-steering-wheel" display/speedometer center guage back to the lovely classic one pre autopilot (the circle with the speed + energy recapture. Make it switchable for when AP is OFF !! I really don't like the "model car" on the display.

or do bad stuff that would freak Tesla out...
1. turn a AP disabled car into a AP enabled car.
2. A S60 or 60D into a S75 or 75D?
3. A S40 into an S60?
4. A Supercharged disabled into an enabled.