TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot saved our lives

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by bwilson4web, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web hit the spot

Basic Autopilot

In a rush, I left my electric razor and Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine at home. In a world of disposables, the razor was easily fixed (Barbasol still tastes crappy) but a CPAP is not an off the shelf item. Used to treat sleep apnea, it ensures my sleep is not interrupted by short airway blockages. Then my wife spent seven days in the hospital.

Easily confused by strangers, my presence anchors her in a safer reality to avoid more aggressive restraints. But her 24 hour care requires my sleeping in that abomination called a 'reclining chair.' It has two positions, seat parallel to floor or raised ~20 degree back. There is an extendable leg lift but the 90 degree, seat-to-back angle is fixed. Reclined, it is like sleeping in a bucket with the legs and knees above the rim. To mitigate, I filled the seat-to-back hole with spare sheets, blankets, and a pillow filler so I can 'cat nap' and be available to help the staff. My wife was discharged after IV antibiotics reduced the hand swelling and pain. So I took a nap at my Mom's home, packed the car, and we were off to home in Huntsville.

'Micro sleep' is a thing that my narcoleptic wife (and late aunt) suffered. Involuntarily, the victim goes to sleep for 2-5 seconds with no warning and the most effective treatment is uninterrupted sleep. After seven days cat napping in a bucket chair and one post release nap, I was primed.

Tesla's Autopilot has dynamic cruise control and automatic emergency braking to avoid running into things. The optical and ultrasonic sensor based, lane steering keeps the car from darting into a ditch or into on-coming traffic. It was on the leg to Decatur there were at least five micro sleep events that I was aware of and Autopilot kept us safe. I stopped in Decatur for a pee, stretch, and coffee break before driving the last 20 miles home.

Micro sleeps are involuntary and detected only when the individual recognizes having woken up. When driving, it becomes either a head-on collision or single car accident. Autopilot gives them a chance to survive.

Home again, I have my CPAP sleeping aid, my wife has her dogs, and me in familiar settings. Life has returned to what passes for normal ... but it is life thanks to Tesla's Autopilot.

Bob Wilson

• Disagree x 17
    • Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Bill Price

Bill Price Member

I am dumbfounded beyond belief........words escape me.

• Like x 11
  3. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Five micro-sleep events? Did you think to maybe not be driving, say, after one? Or even before one? How do you even have a license to drive? You could have killed someone.

While I’m sorry for the condition affecting you, reading this flat out pisses me off.

• Like x 22
    • Informative x 1
  4. Bill Price

Bill Price Member

Thank you for coming up with some of the words that had escaped me. :p

On another note, is "G" your middle initial? Just asking because it's mine.

• Like x 1
  5. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

I’d been thinking about this thread more this morning, and it enrages me further.

Also, last name. :)

6. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

This is hardly the first post by this guy proudly discussing his misuse of Teslas driver aids- last time he was claiming he was "testing the boundaries" of how well the system works, by doing things the manual explicitly states it does not support....and got mad at anyone who pointing out how nonsensical and useless his "analysis and testing" were because "he is an engineer and knows better!"

• Like x 2
  7. edigest

edigest Member

"automatic emergency braking to avoid running into things."

Not true. Emergency braking is designed to lesson the potential severity of an accident.

However you want to spin it, you're putting peoples' lives in danger.

• Like x 5
  8. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

Totally selfish of me, but glad to not live in, nor have reason to visit, Alabama.

Nothing against the great state of Alabama or its residents, but I don't want to be on a road next to anyone who has "micro sleeps" behind the wheel - driver ASSISTANCE technology or not!

• Like x 6
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web hit the spot

#9 bwilson4web, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    I'm comfortable with using new safety technology. If I've scared you enough to stay off the public roads that are filled with even less aware drivers, mission accomplished. If you insist on other drivers being perfect, sober, attentive, and skilled drivers . . . sell your cars today.

Basic autopilot is already good enough to safely offload driving tasks for many whether they are aware or not of their biological limits. Personally, I want it in every car, a mandator requirement, along with seat belts, air bags, and crash testing.

Bob Wilson

• Disagree x 14
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

I’ve reported this thread. Hopefully it gets closed. It’s a joke, like the idiot who openly admits on a public forum to driving while physically or physiologically impeded.

There’s no difference between driving while knowingly drunk (or otherwise under the influence), - and driving while knowingly impeded in any other way.

This thread is a disgrace. I’m disgusted.

• Like x 7
    • Love x 1
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web hit the spot

#11 bwilson4web, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    I'm happily alive and well with my wife and her dogs:
    [​IMG]

The forum has an excellent "Ignore User" function. You might try it on my account. As a retired engineer, my future posts may cause you grief. Avoid it by ignoring my postings.

Bob Wilson

• Disagree x 5
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web hit the spot

Calm my friends. I've improved my "ignore" user list.

Bob Wilson

• Disagree x 3
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web hit the spot

#13 bwilson4web, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    There is a distinct difference between the attitudes posted by some in "Motors Club" versus the "Owners Online." It isn't clear what value added engineering is found in recent "Motor Club" postings. Regardless, the "ignore" user function is effective while I like Diogenes continue my search.

Bob Wilson

• Disagree x 2
  14. ricohman

ricohman Member

As a cyclist my two biggest fears are people texting and people sleeping.
    While driving of course.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. jyalpert

jyalpert Member

My friend used to get short-duration seizures and they took his driver's license away until he was able to prove his meds/surgery had made it safe for him to drive.

He took taxis during that time.

• Like x 1
  16. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

it is clear there's none found in yours though

• Like x 2
  17. Burrito

Burrito Member

Someone smarter than me mustn’t know how to find the “sleepyheads” real name and address and forward this message to the local police. I’m pretty sure his License would be revoked.

Bragging about putting people’s lives in danger is a pretty bold move.

• Like x 1
  18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web hit the spot

#18 bwilson4web, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Thanks,

I didn't want to post-probe to find out if the thread was locked. Autopilot is such an awesome safety aid and certainly help me.

As for posting a silly . . . time to update my ignore user list:

Bob Wilson

• Disagree x 1
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web hit the spot

On either bike or motorcycle, I always rode as if I were invisible . . . and I'm still here.

I had one motorcycle accident, rain slick oil patch that I slid across the intersection. Tore up my trousers but my wife discovered the 'road rash' and that was it for motorcycle commuting.

Bob Wilson

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web hit the spot

My sleep doctor in Nashville reviews my CPAP usage every year, April 17, and continues to give me a clean bill of health. There was more leakage that I've addressed by tightening the straps after losing ~15 kg.

It was just ordinary forgetfulness that left the CPAP machine home. This was complicated by taking care of my wife in the hospital. The micro-sleeps were unexpected but quickly recognized on the last legs home:

This is after the pee, coffee, and stretch break in Decatur.

Bob Wilson

• Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.